Should letting agents give you landlord's contact details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
    LLs who use an agent and full management would generally not expect a tenant to contact them for a repair. The whole point of a managing agent is to manage so the LL doesn't want you to ring them at 3am in the morning saying you have a leak!

True, obviously but a tenant is perfectly entitled to contact landlord if they so wish. After all the contract is between the tenant and the landlord, not the agent: Yes I appreciate the agent probably handled all the paperwork.

One clear situation where a landlord would likely WANT tenant to contact them is when agent is not doing their job - eg failing to handle repairs or not responding to reasonable request in a fair timescale.

And of course the landlord is at liberty to communicate directly with THEIR tenant if they so wish.

I recently wrote (informed agents 1st) with tenants regarding apologising for failed part of heating (it had been fixed) when they moved in and providing my address & email ID. No reply, as expected.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
    LLs who use an agent and full management would generally not expect a tenant to contact them for a repair. The whole point of a managing agent is to manage so the LL doesn't want you to ring them at 3am in the morning saying you have a leak!
    As above.

You should not expect to be able to deal directly with the landlord just because its what you're used to and if you start asking for the landlords details at this stage the agents are likely to just move on to the next applicant.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied

Clearly agents vary in their response times, as do LLs. I would not be concerned about not having the LLs details but ask the agent what their Out of Hours policy is.

You should also be issued with EPC; gas safety; How to Rent Guide; EICR and deposit paperwork before you move in. Check your inventory carefully and mark any discrepancies and return to the agent. Read the meters and put the readings on the inventory too.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Having the address for service contact details of L (whoever or whatever that is -- and which as stated is a right AFTER you start renting) does not mean that they agree to be actually contacted via that route, have to respond, or that this is a valid place to send notices if you have been provided with some other address.

They might welcome your direct contact, or might not.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Tenantnewbie View Post
    Hello jpkeates, what do you mean by that? I thought that if you are the landlord then your name must be on the registry, otherwise whose name would that be?
    The name on the registry will always be the owner of the property (although that could be an company).

There's no requirement for the landlord of a tenancy to own the property they're letting out.
    Normally that's the case, but it doesn't have to be.

Essentially, the landlord is whoever it says is the landlord on a tenancy agreement, and, if there's no agreement (or it bizarrely doesn't say who they are), it's whoever rent is paid to.

Leave a comment:

• Tenantnewbie
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    The property owner's details are obtainable from the land registry, although that might not be the landlord.
    Hello jpkeates, what do you mean by that? I thought that if you are the landlord then your name must be on the registry, otherwise whose name would that be?

Also, I think it makes sense that I would have the right to know the landlord's name only when I actually become a tenant. I mean, I would only contact the landlord if/when a problem occours, I don't really care to contact him/her otherwise... I'm not a stalker ahahah

Anyway it's good to know that it's actually a criminal offense not to provide the name within 21 days from when the tenant asks, that's definitely something to keep in mind, thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    A tenant has the right to their landlord's name and address, but that right doesn't arise until they're a tenant.
    Before then, there's no such right.

Many landlords prefer to be entirely removed from the letting process and will want all communication via their agent, regardless of the tenant's preference.

The property owner's details are obtainable from the land registry, although that might not be the landlord.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal...rds_identity#2

Sadly rarely enforced, and I suspect many agents either don;t know this or pretend not to.

Untill you get landlord's actual address you write to them c/o agent, keep copy, copy agent.

Spending £3 will tell you something....

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    There are two different statutory provisions:

Section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 provides that a landlord must supply a tenant with an address in England and Wales and until he does so no rent is due.

Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 provides that the person who demands rent or to whom the rent was last paid must supply the name and address of the landlord within 21 days of request; failure to comply is a criminal offence.

Leave a comment:

• Tenantnewbie
    replied
    Thank you very much theartfullodger for your reply, I will save those links!
    Okay, so if they don't provide valid details of who I should contact in case of repairs (whether is their "management team" or the landlord), then I will have to flag this before sigining, that's very helpful!

On the other hand, though, wouldn't the landlord's name have to be in the contract anyway? Even if I will have to deal with the agency, I think his/her name should be in the contract from the start(or at least I should demand it, to know who is actually receiving the rent), right?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    They have to provide an address (if this is in England or Wales and address in England or Wales) FOR THE SERVICE of NOTICES on the landlord. This is frequently c/o agent and will be in tenancy agreement. If none given then no rent is due!

But if you write to them they have to by law with 21 days provide his actual name & address.

But quicker & easier to look on social media'/google or on Land registry where for £3 in 5 mins you will have owner of property & address they gave - see..
    https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry

Wouldn;t mind betting neighbours know also.

Follow Shelter advice on reporting repair issues to Landlord (yes, landlord, copy agent, keep copies). see
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ivate_landlord
    - complete with draft letter

Leave a comment:

• Should letting agents give you landlord's contact details?

Hi eveyone

not sure if this is the right place to ask this,if not please let me know and I apologize fot that.

I am looking for a new place and I might have found a flat. I have asked the agency if they are gonna be in charge for the duration of the contract (as in, if I will have to contact them and only them if anything in the house needs to be fixed, etc...) and they said yes, that I would be dealing with their management team, not the landlord.

Now, it's been quite a long time (many years actually) since last time I moved out, so I am a bit out of touch I must say on all the things that I should now before renting (I am doing my research, though).
    Plus, in my current place I have always been in touch directly with the landlord and it's been great. I know generally many people complain about agencies taking ages to solve very basic needs like hot water, heating, etc..., so now I am a bit concerned about the possibility of experiencing this kind of issues first hand? Especially if I actually move into this new place in winter!

So, basically the real question here is: aren't the agency supposed to give you the landlord's contact details anyway? I don't know, in case of an emergency or whatever.

If you have any other tip on things I should check before renting the place, that would be much appreciated too

Thanks!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X