High Street Agencies or Smaller Agencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Street Agencies or Smaller Agencies?

Just a quick question for the more experienced landlords.

What are your views on estate agents as a whole?
    When picking an agency to manage your properties, is it better off going to the well known ones or the smaller ones. Of course by "smaller" agencies I am talking about businesses which have been in the industry a while but not as well known.

The reason why I ask, is they have a few different schemes which high street agencies do not, such as a Rent Guarantee scheme.
    Especially in these troubling times it could work out for myself.

Just a thought, and wanted to know what you guys think
    High Street Agencies
    0%
    Smaller Agencies
    100.00%

I do not generalise.

I go and talk to them and ask pertinent probing questions and if I don't like what I hear, then I walk away.

Comment

Alright great

But I was more looking for peoples experience with dealing with them (if they have), in terms of:

Overall customer experience
      Payments on time
      Good professional tenants
      Lowest costs
      and how involved they would keep me with the whole process

Comment

You need a third option on your survey- "neither"

Comment

I went for rent on time guarantee instead of guaranteed rent which doesn't seem to pay out until a couple of months have passed. By then the tenant may have left and you may have someone new and then you no longer have a claim.

I went for online agency as I was happy to show potential tenants the property. They offered rent on time, repairs and legal protection. These were not offered by the high street. Online was half the cost.

Comment

cuttingman,

Yeah, to be honest with you I was trying to decide between the two options you just stated.

I found a small estate agency which offers guaranteed rent regardless of if my property has any tenants in it or not. However they do slightly pay me under the market price of my property. After my calculations, this scheme they use does pay me more than the high street agencies after you deduct all commission and other fees, and well if they are doing all the legwork which every agency will have to do, at a cheaper price with no delay or excuses in payments, it worked out better, for myself anyway.

Comment

Hi,
              Where are your properties based

Comment

South London

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                  You need a third option on your survey- "neither"
                  Agreed. I'd say, if at all possible, do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by HomeLord View Post
                    I found a small estate agency which offers guaranteed rent regardless of if my property has any tenants in it or not. However they do slightly pay me under the market price of my property. After my calculations, this scheme they use does pay me more than the high street agencies after you deduct all commission and other fees, and well if they are doing all the legwork which every agency will have to do, at a cheaper price with no delay or excuses in payments, it worked out better, for myself anyway.
                    Sounds like rent to rent, most say to avoid these types of arrangements.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord has changed Letting agency
                      by doobrey
                      'Need to' because you want to, or because they are asking you to?

A new tenancy is different from an ID check and some data gathering (which seem fairly harmless and may be well-intentioned). A new tenancy is not necessary. Only sign a new agreement if you want one....
                      08-12-2021, 10:24 AM
                    • Landlord has changed Letting agency
                      by Yellow40
                      Hi Looking for some help as for some reason this has my Anxiety through the roof, I have lived in the same private landlord in the same property for 7 years, They have now decided to go with a lettings agency who have contacted me today as i need to sign a new lease and complete an application form...
                      07-12-2021, 14:50 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      Hi, again, welcome.

Just tell the agency that you do not wish to sign a new lease thank you very much, nor do you wish to complete an application form for your home.

My guess is that the application form is part of a rental guarantee insurance that the agent have offered the...
                      07-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                      by Yellow40
                      Thank you so much for your reply, It seem odd to me, Appreciate your time....
                      07-12-2021, 16:31 PM
                      by theartfullodger
                      That the agent or indeed landlord changes does not mean you need to sign or otherwise agree to a new tenancy agreement. Nor any changes to the tenancy agreement. Nor any application form, nor supply ID. (PS You might ask agent first for proof of ID: That'll surprise them, but clearly they think it's...
                      07-12-2021, 16:20 PM
                      by doobrey
                      There are plenty of valid reasons why the landlord may have changed agent. I have done it myself. The outgoing agent could be closing down, putting their charges up. Or they may just have been judged not to be very good at their job.

The new agent is right (and obliged) to check that you...
                      07-12-2021, 16:09 PM
                    • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                      by meyou5ick
                      Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                      29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                    • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                      by jpkeates
                      It depends on the terms of your agreement with them.
                      My agreement with my letting agent wouldn't allow them to do that in anticipation of me owing them money, only if I actually owe them money.
                      05-12-2021, 10:49 AM
                    • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                      by meyou5ick
                      They have now withheld my rental payment (last one of this contract) because they think I won't pay them once I go private contract from next month. They surely cannot hold my rent just because they think I'll not pay after the end of tenancy if I plan to keep the tenants?...
                      04-12-2021, 17:52 PM
                    • Letting agent merged with another
                      by Aly
                      Hi all , I have been with my letting agent and had the same tenant for 9 years , this week I was notified that my old letting agent had merged basically sold out to a new letting agent , they gave no notice and no option to opt out from them , I said I didn't want to merge with them as we were going...
                      03-12-2021, 21:02 PM
                    Working...
                    X