Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serving notice to a letting agent

Hi everyone,

I am new here but would love some advice. I have been with a letting agent for 2 years with a fully managed service as I live abroad. Four months ago, the tenants vacated the property and I instructed the agent to market the property again. However, for four months, they have done very few viewings and I have received no offer whatsover and very little feedback on the level of interest. I had to insist regularly for updates, otherwise the agent would not contact me even once per month. I found this level of service appalling. The terms of business seems to indicate its a sole agency agreement, so my question is how do get out of it? and is it likely that I need to pay some fees or give a long notice period? None of this is well outlined in the terms of business, at least not for this type of case and I don´t know how I can proceed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What do the terms and conditions say about terminating the agreement?

Comment

The terms of your agreement with the agent will, hopefully, include how to end it, there's no generic answer, as far as I know.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The terms only give two options of notice. Either 3 months (with the assumption there is a tenant at the property already) or the typical 2 weeks after the initial signing. Neither really applies in this case, as I don´t have a tenant and the initial signing didn´t really happen. They did send me the terms of business back in June, but I actually didn´t sign this. They sent me the terms and I confirmed via email that they can start advertising the property but did not sign the terms of business.

Comment

If they sent you their terms and you commenced transacting with them, I don't think it matters whether you signed anything, you agreed to the terms by your actions.

I'd give them three month's notice - the other option isn't possible.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If there is no tenant in place then you may just be able to end the contract with minimal notice, since they are presumably receiving no funds from you at the moment.

Comment

Thank you, I will attempt to give them 2 weeks notice. 3 months feels excessive when they haven´t found a tenant for me in 4 months! Surely no agent expects to have a search period of 7 months with no results??

Comment

If they have not found a tenant and let the property then you should be able to just walk away at this point with no clauses applicable but please do check your agreement. You should only be bound to termination clauses once a tenant has been found.

But, please, if there is not tenant to date, please do not fall for the "oh we have a tenant interested, they are going to apply today", this is just a time buying tactic.

Sounds like you need an agent with more clarity and openness with information, especially with you being abroad.

Even one month is a lot. In the current market there is huge demand as long as the property is in good condition and marketed properly you should have no problems.

Many agents are using the old COVID excuse at the minuet, but in reality they are just putting viewings off and saying "due to the current situation, we are not doing in person viewings", I have heard this so many times. They just want people to take them off pictures and if you are lucky, they have done a virtual tour.

Happy to chat if you ever need.
                James Lindsey

Liverpool

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord has changed Letting agency
                  by jpkeates
                  Hi, again, welcome.

Just tell the agency that you do not wish to sign a new lease thank you very much, nor do you wish to complete an application form for your home.

My guess is that the application form is part of a rental guarantee insurance that the agent have offered the...
                  07-12-2021, 18:02 PM
                • Landlord has changed Letting agency
                  by Yellow40
                  Hi Looking for some help as for some reason this has my Anxiety through the roof, I have lived in the same private landlord in the same property for 7 years, They have now decided to go with a lettings agency who have contacted me today as i need to sign a new lease and complete an application form...
                  07-12-2021, 14:50 PM
                  by Yellow40
                  Thank you so much for your reply, It seem odd to me, Appreciate your time....
                  07-12-2021, 16:31 PM
                  by theartfullodger
                  That the agent or indeed landlord changes does not mean you need to sign or otherwise agree to a new tenancy agreement. Nor any changes to the tenancy agreement. Nor any application form, nor supply ID. (PS You might ask agent first for proof of ID: That'll surprise them, but clearly they think it's...
                  07-12-2021, 16:20 PM
                  by doobrey
                  There are plenty of valid reasons why the landlord may have changed agent. I have done it myself. The outgoing agent could be closing down, putting their charges up. Or they may just have been judged not to be very good at their job.

The new agent is right (and obliged) to check that you...
                  07-12-2021, 16:09 PM
                • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                  by meyou5ick
                  Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                  29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                  by jpkeates
                  It depends on the terms of your agreement with them.
                  My agreement with my letting agent wouldn't allow them to do that in anticipation of me owing them money, only if I actually owe them money.
                  05-12-2021, 10:49 AM
                • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                  by meyou5ick
                  They have now withheld my rental payment (last one of this contract) because they think I won't pay them once I go private contract from next month. They surely cannot hold my rent just because they think I'll not pay after the end of tenancy if I plan to keep the tenants?...
                  04-12-2021, 17:52 PM
                • Letting agent merged with another
                  by Aly
                  Hi all , I have been with my letting agent and had the same tenant for 9 years , this week I was notified that my old letting agent had merged basically sold out to a new letting agent , they gave no notice and no option to opt out from them , I said I didn't want to merge with them as we were going...
                  03-12-2021, 21:02 PM
                • Reply to Letting agent merged with another
                  by doobrey
                  And... does it?

A similar thing happened to me. My agent sold out without prior warning to another firm which I had no particular wish to deal with. I was able to give the new agent notice, though, and I did.

It was messy, for a couple of reasons. Firstly my tenants...
                  04-12-2021, 13:55 PM
                Working...
                X