managing agent not passing on rent - compensation due or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nbhamilt
    replied
    if you haven't lost money, i'd probably just write a snotty letter saying how frustrating it was and ask them to tell you what they have done to rectifdy the problem to ensure it never happens to anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• JamesLindsey
    replied
    Being a big agents doesn't mean much today unfortunately.

You have paid them to do a job and not been done until you intervened, personally I would be looking for new representation and keep a regular check on things until you transfer.

Leave a comment:

• johnboy
    replied
    If you can prove you have suffered a material loss for being paid late you should have a valid claim to recover that otherwise vote with your feet and find another agent. Or threaten to leave and try to squeeze a couple of months fee free form them. It would be worth that to them to keep you as a landlord.

Leave a comment:

• dusty2020
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    With the agent it might be a symptom of financial difficulties - if they do it to 25% of landlords a few won't notice. Keep an eye on them.
    Will do, like a hawk. Thanks all for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• dusty2020
    replied
    Point taken, but arguably I should expect monies to be delivered promptly as agreed (and have been in the past), without having to follow-up.

As others have mentioned, possibly just a one-off.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by dusty2020 View Post
    question is- would there any form of compensation due?
    For what loss would you be due compensation?

You were somewhat negligent in not noticing/addressing the problem the first time it happened.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Years ago in my 1st couple of years signed up locum doctor at hospital. I was working full time busy. After 6 months realized had no rent. Embarrassed at my stupidity. Wrote to him (before email was common) and had full cheque by return, he embarrassed likewise.

With the agent it might be a symptom of financial difficulties - if they do it to 25% of landlords a few won't notice. Keep an eye on them.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by dusty2020 View Post
    is it worth asking for a 'goodwill gesture' of, say 3 months' fees or something like that - or does that simply sound a bit crass?
    If its caused you financial difficulties, you could say that and ask if any compensation is due.

Leave a comment:

• dusty2020
    replied
    Follow agency complaint procedure and if that fails use the Letting agency redress scheme, see how-to info from the helpful experts..

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes
    thanks for that - will have to think about that - i mean, don't really want to make a massive deal out of it - as far as the late payment is concerned, it's all done. Just 50/50 about whether a quick email asking for a 'goodwill gesture' is reasonable. A case of 'if you don't ask, you don't get'... on one side, and then not wanting to rock the boat, on the other!

thanks again for the input!

Leave a comment:

• dusty2020
    replied
    Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
    What have they been like as an agency otherwise? There are so many cr@p agencies out there that if this was there only transgression, I would probably overlook it for fear of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
    to be honest, not too bad - couple of minor issues, but nothing to write home about. It's just that if they are supposed to transfer monies promptly, and haven't done, is it worth asking for a 'goodwill gesture' of, say 3 months' fees or something like that - or does that simply sound a bit crass?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Follow agency complaint procedure and if that fails use the Letting agency redress scheme, see how-to info from the helpful experts..

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    What have they been like as an agency otherwise? There are so many cr@p agencies out there that if this was there only transgression, I would probably overlook it for fear of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    I'm not sure I have ever been charged penalties for late payment of utility bills. Generally I pay bills on time but the obvious exception, sometimes, would be utility bills when they get sent to the supply address and not passed on to me. I had one recently which I paid at least a year after it was originally issued. No interest or penalty added.

HMRC do it, of course, without hesitation. Earns them no goodwill from me. :-)

Leave a comment:

• dusty2020
    replied
    If you ever fail to pay something on time, when you eventually pay, do you add extra for compo??
    fair point. not unless obliged to, like late for a credit card payment, or phone, gas, electricity bill or something like that. Just question whether it's within my rights or even worth asking, that's all.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Tend to agree with replies above. This doesn't instill confidence in the agent, but I wouldn't expect compensation for what was probably just an oversight, and seems currently to have been a one-off.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X