Period of notice to letting agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period of notice to letting agent

My management company have been very difficult for some time, so finally decided to give them notice. I agreed and have confirmation that I would have to give 3 months notice, which I did. The local office manager has replied saying that the notice period had been changed since our agreement, and was now 6 months. (100% increase, and I have never been advised if this). I have questioned the legality of this, a substantive change with no formal notice, and they say they are getting the new clause and will send it to me. Obviously the local office did not have it, and provides some confidence in never having sent me the change . Can I insist on the original agreement, as I have never been advised of any change, until after I have given the agreed notice?

it will depend on if your original agreement included a clause stating that the agents can change these terms and conditions as they wish....I would suggest you need to clearly read and digest your original agreement.

Otherwise they will need to provide proof that you received the new terms and conditions and failed to respond.

No legal training but that seems the most sensible approach

All the best

Comment

They can't change the terms unilaterally unless you have agreed that they can.
      If they don't have your agreement to change the terms unilaterally, sending you revised terms isn't enough to change them, you need to agree to the revised terms.
      They might try a "if you don't agree with your new terms please let us know or they will apply" letter, but that's not legally acceptable unless they have your agreement to such an approach.

So, as well as a copy of their new terms, you should ask them for evidence that you have agreed that they can make changes without your explicit consent.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X