Letting agent (managed) taking a long time to return deposit to me the landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agent (managed) taking a long time to return deposit to me the landlord

Advice please with regards to the deposit scheme, my tenant moved out the 1st of August, they left the place in terrible condition, waaay worst than any kind of fair wear and tear.

The property was managed (extremely poorly, different story) but I seem to be, or I feel I am been given the run around by the letting agent, it has been nearly 6 weeks and I have not received any of the deposit, the letting agent did all the paper work.

They are currently saying, the claim they have made on my behalf, has not been contested by the previous tenant , so they now need a letter signed from their in house solicitor (£10 charge) to push the matter further with the deposit scheme and that it will at that point be another two weeks to get my money back, does that seem to be part of the normal process?

This seems a tad unusual to a me and seems like along period of time.

I have a funny feeling they have not made the claim on my behalf, how can I check further if the deposit money is still held and with it been a fairly large letting agent, do they hold the funds or is it via one central place?

I only have one property, back In 2016, I had a less server situation, but the deposit money was handed back within around 2 weeks...

Help and advice please.

I find it hard to believe any letting agent (no matter now large) has the luxury of an in-house solicitor. As for the £10 charge - they're ripping you off !

Ask them where this charge is mentioned in the agreement you signed.

Comment

If you do use an agent Never EVER EVER allow them to collect, hold or protect the deposit themselves or in their own names. If they insist - find another agent. And don't let the tenant have the keys until you have personally received the first month of rent, the deposit, and have personally interviewed the tenants and examined their paperwork, finances, references, passports... in detail.

It's basic.

Comment

Originally posted by just wondering View Post
        They are currently saying, the claim they have made on my behalf, has not been contested by the previous tenant , so they now need a letter signed from their in house solicitor (£10 charge) to push the matter further with the deposit scheme and that it will at that point be another two weeks to get my money back, does that seem to be part of the normal process?
        I suspect that they are not telling you all the facts, but are not actually lying.

If the agent has made a claim for the deposit and if the money is in a custodial scheme, the tenant has to say it's OK to release it, otherwise, the deposit company can't do that.
        It's not uncommon for the tenant not to bother, so there's a process called a single claim, where the landlord can get the money without the tenant agreeing.
        That requires a form to be completed and a solicitor (or notary) to countersign it having verified you are who you say you are (to circumvent fraud).
        Solicitors usually charge a tenner for this service.

The deposit is normally then returned in a couple of weeks,

That's what I think is happening - I may be wrong.
        But if it is, it's quite routine.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, brilliant advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
            by Tallulahpop
            Hi all, I’ve joined this forum specifically to get some advice as I don’t know who else to ask 🤷‍♀️
            I currently live in a rented house but the landlord is selling so we found another house through a letting agent and have signed a contract stating our tenancy starts on 3rd October....
            24-09-2020, 11:16 AM
          • Reply to Advice
            by Lawcruncher
            Since signing by the landlord is not necessary, whether there is a binding contract depends on who said or wrote what in what order. Without knowing what has been said and done it is not possible to say if there is a binding contract.

However, if the agent is saying that, you can, if you...
            26-09-2020, 11:28 AM
          • Reply to Landlord Renewal
            by DPT57
            Very little advice is fully impartial unless you pay serious money for it. They're not required to teach the landlord about the impact of the various options, just to recommend an option that is legal and workable. As you suggest, its up to landlords to learn the bigger picture if they want to understand...
            26-09-2020, 08:47 AM
          • Landlord Renewal
            by Bubbles101222
            Hi everyone, hoping someone can help please.
            I have been letting my property out for around 3 years. I have a good relationship with my tenants.
            I got an email from agent to say it’s time for renewal on 14th Oct 2020 & would I like to do 12 months, I replied yes, thinking I had no...
            24-09-2020, 18:53 PM
            by tatemono
            er... are they not legally obliged to?

More common is that most LLs don't bother to aprise themselves of the full facts. This LL is one of thousands of examples.

Contracts aren't like dairy products. They don't stop being binding just because time passes....
            26-09-2020, 08:37 AM
          • Reply to Advice
            by tatemono
            kudos to you for the pragmatic solutions.

Be aware that if you do choose option 2, it's possible that you will put whoever is planning to buy your current home in your own situation.

I would immediately be looking for new accommodation. In the current climate, if a property...
            26-09-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Reply to Advice
            by Section20z
            Too subtle, will use the winking emoji in future. Lol....
            25-09-2020, 22:14 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by doobrey
            I understood the inverted commas to mean "so-called" or "perceived".
            25-09-2020, 20:27 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by jpucng62
            Why is this a 'greedy scumbag landlord'? It is a tenant (who presumably gave notice), who is not moving out because their new build isn't ready on time (because the builder hasn't finished it - probably due to coronavirus) - about the only person not to blame is the landlord!...
            25-09-2020, 20:02 PM
            by DPT57
            Its the way that Agents make their money these days. They don't reveal the full facts to landlords about most things that are not in their interest because they are probably in survival mode. As above, if you're unhappy, do what the rest of us do and learn the business so that you can self-manage.
            25-09-2020, 15:28 PM
          Working...
          X