Terminating full management service agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminating full management service agent

Hi - my tenant left in Two months ago and my existing full service Letting and management agent has not been able to generate many viewings (perhaps 2-3 since) A couple of questions:
    1. I checked our contract and there is no notice period. Does that mean I can invite other agents to help me market the property anytime and sign new contract with them, as well as new tenancy agreement if they are able to find new tenants for me?

2. there are still some follow up work and associated cost that the previous tenant should be responsible for. Is my current agent still technically and legally responsible for liaising with the previous tenant and sort out the matter for me, even though I am not paying any full service (Letting and management) fee while the flat is empty? And even my new agent is on board later?

3. I assume I should still give them notice in writing but should I do that after I have secured new tenants, and after they have sorted out the matters with the previous tenant? when is the best time based on your experience? And should it be “immediate notice”?

4. They have applied a council license mistakenly using their Company name rather than my own Name as license holder. If I now have to revoke the license I will have to pay the license fee (a few hundred pounds) again. Am I eligible for a claim? Or complain to any government authority?

thank you very much for your help.

1 - It is entirely determined by your agreement with the letting agent. Not having to give them a period of notice doesn't necessarily mean that you can use another agent as well. It might mean you can easily replace them. What does the agreement say about exclusivity?
    2 - Depends on what service they've agreed to supply.
    3 - It would be unusual for a letting agent contract to allow you to quit with no notice with a tenant in place. It would be worth checking.
    4 - You should first follow the agent's complaint's procedure or that of the redress scheme they belong to (which will probably require you to start with a formal complaint to the agent).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you so much jpkeates. The flat is empty so no tenant at the moment as the tenant left 2 months ago.

1. No term on “exclusivity” in the contract
      2. General “Letting” and “management” services you would expect -eg marketing of property and viewing , preparing agreement, repairs, deposit arrangement , rent collection etc.
      3. no tenant in place
      4. noted, thank you for your advice.

What do you think? Many Thanks!

Comment

That's very unusual, usually letting agent's landlords agreements are very difficult to extricate oneself from.

On a practical level, I can't see them sorting out any issues relating to the previous tenancy if there's no more income likely.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X