Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndrewDod
    replied
    You can still refuse to start the new tenancy. You must not permit it to start.

You need to understand the terminology. A tenancy contract (such as an AST) is not a tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• CandM
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    Why on earth would you start a new tenancy with someone who "refused" to pay rent before. As above, declare the thing void and find someone else.
    When they signed they didn't have any debt.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Why on earth would you start a new tenancy with someone who "refused" to pay rent before. As above, declare the thing void and find someone else.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Yes.
    But it's complicated particularly if the student is one of a joint tenancy.

The student has a contract with the landlord (presumably) for the new accommodation and the landlord would be in breach of that contract if they don't let the tenant move in.
    The landlord would have to compensate the student for any losses that they suffer as a consequence, but they would be offset by the amount owed by the student.

The problem arises if the student is one of a joint tenancy, because the landlord doesn't want to be compensating several people for their losses and if one of the joint tenants moves in, the tenancy begins and the student has a new right to enter the property and it would be illegal for the landlord to stop them.

It would be more sensible for the landlord to advise the student that because of the debt arising from their last contract, the agreement is entirely void - they have acted in bad faith previously and they are not someone that the landlord can do business with, regardless of their having signed a contract.

Again, much more complex if the student is one of a joint tenancy.

Leave a comment:

• CandM
    started a topic Legal question regarding rental arrears and new ASTS

Legal question regarding rental arrears and new ASTS

Looking for a bit of guidance on this one. The situation is thus;
    Tenant is a student and had a contract from July 2019 to June 2020. Good tenant etc, paid all rent up to March 2020. In January 2020 he signed a new tenancy for a different house for July 2020 to June 2021. Not sure it makes any difference but it is the same landlord that owns both houses.

March 2020 - Covid19 situation starts. Tenant moves back with his parents and the tenant declines to pay the rent for April, May and June 2020. They are now expecting to move into the new property.

Can the landlord legally refuse them access to the new property until the arrears are cleared for the old one?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice
    by Tallulahpop
    The new letting agent has said they won’t be in breach of contract as although my partner and myself have signed the landlord hasn’t?
    I know next to nothing about the legal side so have no idea if this is true or not.
    thankfully the current landlord is being very understanding but I...
    24-09-2020, 12:13 PM
  • Advice
    by Tallulahpop
    Hi all, I’ve joined this forum specifically to get some advice as I don’t know who else to ask 🤷‍♀️
    I currently live in a rented house but the landlord is selling so we found another house through a letting agent and have signed a contract stating our tenancy starts on 3rd October....
    24-09-2020, 11:16 AM
  • Reply to Advice
    by DPT57
    If you gave a valid notice then your tenancy will end and you will legally become trespassers. Your landlord will in all likelihood then need to apply to the courts for possession and that may take some time. The legal costs would be down to you and in theory at least, he could charge you double rent...
    24-09-2020, 12:03 PM
  • Reply to Advice
    by jpkeates
    Your issue is the the new landlord - who will be in breach of contract if the property isn't made available for you on 3rd October as agreed.
    The landlord can provide alternative equivalent accommodation to meet their obligation or pay for the same thing if you find somewhere.

The...
    24-09-2020, 12:02 PM
  • Reply to Advice
    by Tallulahpop
    We gave notice when we signed the contract for the new house, saying we’d be moving out on 17 October. Since all this happened the landlord has said he’ll extend it to 17 November. Can we renege our notice and wait for our current landlord to serve notice?...
    24-09-2020, 11:31 AM
  • Reply to Advice
    by theartfullodger
    Just because your landlord is selling does not end your tenancy nor compel you to leave. Have you or landlord actually served any formal notice?

Suggest you sue whoever you signed new contract with for lost expenses

Current tenants of new place probably can't be evicted for...
    24-09-2020, 11:23 AM
  • Consumer rights act
    by Barrington
    Does anyone know if the consumer rights act covers agreements with letting agents and private landlords? We want to exit our contract stating consumer rights, but wanted to know if a private landlord could be considered a consumer.
    21-09-2020, 17:32 PM
  • Reply to Consumer rights act
    by Lawcruncher
    It should be remembered that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 only applies to individuals and not to companies.
    24-09-2020, 08:59 AM
    by doobrey
    I sent a LBC to a tradesman not so long ago and considered the same question. I concluded that I was not a consumer, so I cited the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.
    23-09-2020, 19:17 PM
    by ChrisDennison
    I guess you’re right. Assume everybody you’re dealing with is a total idiot and start from there, that’s always my motto. Until I find out I’m the total idiot not them
    23-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Working...
X