Newbie Landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Landlord

Hi all, I hope you are keeping safe. I rented out my one bed flat last Summer with an estate agent on a 12 month term. The 12 months are nearly up and I would like to keep the existing tenants (they want to stay) but do I have to still use the agent- seeing as the term will have finished? Or as they found the tenants do I have to continue to use the agent? There is not anything in my tenancy agreement about this. I will ask the agent directly but thought I would ask on this too.

Many thanks,
    Anna

You should check the agreement between you and the agent that you signed, not the tenancy agreement. If they are managing the property for you well and you have a hassle free experience collecting the rent, then why do you want to change it (apart from the commission they would be taking).

You may have to pay them to break your agreement, and you may then need to sign the T up directly with yourself.

Comment

Thank you. I can't seem to find anything in the agreement but I will have another look. I signed up to "let & collect" for 12 months, so they found the tenants for me and referenced them but since then the only service that I get is that they collect my rent and forward it onto me- just seems a waste of money paying them a monthly fee.
      I am happy to keep paying the agents if needed to keep the tenants (just wondered if maybe I could deal directly). I shall have a good read through all documents.

Comment

I have always signed up for a '' tenant find'' service only so after the 12 months i let them go periodic and that is it, i manage them and the agent does nothing but find them and vet them, i pick who gets the property then take over.

Comment

I used to use a tenant find service but found it unsatisfactory as they have no interest in getting you a good tenant. I use openrent now and find it much better as I get to grill them while they're viewing the property.
          If you can't find anything in your contract give the agency notice and I'm sure they'll tell you if they are due a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by annam222 View Post
            Thank you. I can't seem to find anything in the agreement but I will have another look. I signed up to "let & collect" for 12 months, so they found the tenants for me and referenced them but since then the only service that I get is that they collect my rent and forward it onto me- just seems a waste of money paying them a monthly fee.
            I am happy to keep paying the agents if needed to keep the tenants (just wondered if maybe I could deal directly). I shall have a good read through all documents.
            Also be aware that the agent may try to get the tenant to sign another 12 month tenancy. My agent just tried to do this despite me already stating that I want it to roll monthly after the initial 12 months. I would have been charged 50% +VAT of the first month rent again!

Comment

Hello, everybody. This is my first post, I've just signed up. Been lurking on here for months though.

I had always used the 'tenant find' service with a local agent. However, a couple of years back, I used an agent I'd used previously without any issues and had a terrible experience. Too much to post here but: simple requests repeatedly ignored, still no tenant after 9 months, light left on after viewings, property left unlocked overnight once after a viewing, etc, etc.

Another property came vacant and a friend recommended OpenRent. He'd once worked with someone who had worked for an agent previously and she told him they would try to guide the 'most promising looking' tenants towards the properties they managed (not saying all agents do that, but I guess there's a temptation). I find it so much better doing it myself. You have to arrange and do the viewings yourself and create your own inventory (I just copied a previous one from an agent). Cost me £49 to find a tenant (as opposed to £480) and they sort the deposit, first month's rent and (digital) signing of the letting agreement. I usually get the tenants to sign a hard copy when they move in (because I'm old-fashioned and I like a paper copy with a 'real' signature).

Never used any of their other services, although I would like to see posts from landlords who have. I'm considering using their professional photography service as properties come vacant - pay once then use them repeatedly, seems like a good investment.

Comment

Its not a good idea to use the same photos for repeated lets as they are likely to be no longer an accurate representation of the property and could get you into trouble with consumer rights legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                  Its not a good idea to use the same photos for repeated lets as they are likely to be no longer an accurate representation of the property and could get you into trouble with consumer rights legislation.
                  Would you say we have to take current photos each time we market, or do you mean updating photos every few years?
                  assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

Comment

Your photographs are part of an advert for something and should reflect the property as it is when you market it,
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                      Even if they view the property before they sign for it ? My letting agents always used old photos, even the ones I'd told them not to (another problem I had)

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        Your photographs are part of an advert for something and should reflect the property as it is when you market it,
                        oh that's a pain. Photos don't look at all good with tenants stuff strewn everywhere, even if they attempt to tidy.
                        assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

Comment

I always wait until the tenant has gone and the property is clean and tidy before taking the photos.

It is a breach of the legislation if your advert contains misleading information or images that lead the tenant to view a property that they may otherwise not consider

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X