Is it reasonable to ask agent to modify letting agreement (and sack them if refused)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a multi storey building it is quite a good idea to insist on the tenant insuring their contents as it will provide cover if the tenant negligently floods out the people below by leaving a bath running to overflow

Comment

Originally posted by slopemaster View Post
      I have now sacked the agent, as they insisted the insurance clause had to stay "because it could be a condition of your mortgage".
      That doesn't actually make sense.

I think you are better off without them.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
        In a multi storey building it is quite a good idea to insist on the tenant insuring their contents as it will provide cover if the tenant negligently floods out the people below by leaving a bath running to overflow
        Tenants contents and accident insurance is £1 A week via direct line and covers the tenant for any stupid accidents. Some agents insist they take it out.

My landlords insurance covers the building but also the fittings for damage by the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
          Contents insurance will not cover damage to the fabric of a property. You do not want the tenant to have such insurance anyway as it may lead to double insurance problems. If you are letting you need to make sure that your insurance covers the tenant's negligence.

The now withdrawn OFT guidance on unfair terms considered that requiring the tenant to take out insurance for his own belongngs was an unfair term. It is in any event not something a landlord needs. There is though no harm in including in the tenancy agreement a statement advising the tenant that his belongings are not covered by the landlord's insurance and that taking out his own cover is recommended.

The terms of the tenancy agreement and insurance should dovetail.

If you want the tenant not to do anything whch contravenes the insurance you must supply a copy of the policy or a relevant extract.

Any obligation on the tenant to repair must exclude damage by an insured risk except to the extent that the insurer refuses to pay out on account of some action of the tenant. (You though want to make sure so far as you can that the insurer cannot do that.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            The now withdrawn OFT guidance on unfair terms considered that requiring the tenant to take out insurance for his own belongngs was an unfair term. It is in any event not something a landlord needs. There is though no harm in including in the tenancy agreement a statement advising the tenant that his belongings are not covered by the landlord's insurance and that taking out his own cover is recommended.
            The tenant fees act makes it illegal to require a tenant to enter into any contract with a 3rd party (other than for utilities).
            So requiring a tenant to take out insurance isn't legal and would be automatically unfair.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              The tenant fees act makes it illegal to require a tenant to enter into any contract with a 3rd party (other than for utilities).
              Does that mean a specified third party?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                Does that mean a specified third party?
                I don't think so, but there's zero case law to back that view up.

A landlord must not require a relevant person to enter into a contract with a third party in connection with a tenancy of housing in England if that contract is—
                (a)a contract for the provision of a service, or
                (b)a contract of insurance...
                [This] does not apply if the contract is for—
                (a)the provision of a utility to the tenant, or
                (b)the provision of a communication service to the tenant.
                Does "a" mean any?

Comment

Our material damage insurer (in this case for a two storey conversion) paid a claim for a water leak into the flat below caused by the tenant above letting the bath overflow. The buildings insurer wanted the full details of the first floor tenant to make a claim against them. The insurers said that if the first floor tenant had contents insurance it would have covered the tenants who caused the loss for the uninsured excess. In the end the tenants said they had no cover nor money and the whole thing fizzled out

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How to choose letting agent
                    by LMK
                    Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
                    I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
                    But is there anything in particular that I should...
                    10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
                  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
                    by Beswick
                    If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
                    11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
                  • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                    by lamblord
                    Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
                    08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
                  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                    by Lawcruncher
                    Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
                    11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
                    by jpucng62
                    I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
                    10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
                    by Mrs Mug
                    See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
                    10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
                    by Beswick
                    Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
                    10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
                    by DPT57
                    Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
                    10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                  • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                    by jpkeates
                    And the tenant's free day may not coincide with yours.

There are five hidden benefits to using an agent:
                    1 - There are usually several people to answer the phone, make calls and arrange things at an agent, while if you DIY, there's you.
                    2 - It's much easier to say no to things...
                    09-07-2020, 10:04 AM
                  • Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                    by Lots on
                    I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
                    06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
                  Working...
                  X