Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mousemat
    replied
    JPK, that's perfect advice, I'll certainly be following that route.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    I no longer take deposits, just make sure tenants are throughly vetted, but that may depend on the calibre of tenants you target.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I can't guarantee that this is foolproof, but I send a letter (with proof of posting) with the Deposit Prescribed Information (2 copies), the EPC and How to Rent Booklet.

If I've got the GSC I include a copy. If I haven't, I tell the tenant that one has been left in the property and to contact the agent for any additional copies (the agent puts the GSC and smoke alarm checks on their check in inventory).

I give the tenants a stamped envelope to return one copy of the PI signed.

I give them my details (including a mobile number used only for the business that forwards to my own mobile) and reminds them to contact the agent if they have any problems.

I scan this (takes ages) and keep a copy.

Leave a comment:

• Mousemat
    replied
    Hi JPK

Thanks for your response. That was my thoughts exactly

I'm not fussed about the extra admin at all, and would prefer to know that the money has been protected. In doing so myself, I will know that is has been.

Being a new LL I'm obviously not au fait with all the legalities etc but through this forum and others I'm learning all the time.

I suspect it would also be wise to ask the LA for proof that EPC, GSC and the How to Rent booklet has been issued to the Tenant by way of the T signing for such items.

I have no reason to suspect the LA is not confident, but I like to be in control as much as possible where money / contracts etc are involved.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I use a letting agent, but they transfer the deposit to me and I protect it.
    It causes extra admin and communication with the tenant, but it means that I am confident that the initial requirements of the tenancy are met.

Without being rude, it depends if you or your agent know more about what they're doing and how confident you are in them.

Leave a comment:

• Mousemat
    started a topic Tenancy Deposit Schemes

Tenancy Deposit Schemes

I'm about to become a landlord after purchasing a BTL.

The property is about 300 miles from me and I will be using an LA for the day to day stuff etc.

Is there any pro's or cons of me taking the deposit and registering it to a Tenancy Deposit Scheme of my choice etc? or is better to let the L handle this as well?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
    by Lots on
    I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
    06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
  • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
    by Fire Risk Assessor
    My first BTL I mistakenly used an agent to manage. 10% a month Plus VAT for doing nothing, when there is anything wrong they phone me to sort it out, they have lost high security keys (£40) and denied it. Tenant stayed for 4 years. Just moved out as I have sold the flat. They even changed the electricity...
    13-07-2020, 21:32 PM
  • How to choose letting agent
    by LMK
    Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
    I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
    But is there anything in particular that I should...
    10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
    by Beswick
    If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
    11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by Lawcruncher
    Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
    11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
  • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by lamblord
    Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
    08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
    by jpucng62
    I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
    10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
    by Mrs Mug
    See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
    10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
    by Beswick
    Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
    10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
    by DPT57
    Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
    10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
Working...
X