Tenancy Deposit Schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Deposit Schemes

I'm about to become a landlord after purchasing a BTL.

The property is about 300 miles from me and I will be using an LA for the day to day stuff etc.

Is there any pro's or cons of me taking the deposit and registering it to a Tenancy Deposit Scheme of my choice etc? or is better to let the L handle this as well?

I use a letting agent, but they transfer the deposit to me and I protect it.
    It causes extra admin and communication with the tenant, but it means that I am confident that the initial requirements of the tenancy are met.

Without being rude, it depends if you or your agent know more about what they're doing and how confident you are in them.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi JPK

Thanks for your response. That was my thoughts exactly

I'm not fussed about the extra admin at all, and would prefer to know that the money has been protected. In doing so myself, I will know that is has been.

Being a new LL I'm obviously not au fait with all the legalities etc but through this forum and others I'm learning all the time.

I suspect it would also be wise to ask the LA for proof that EPC, GSC and the How to Rent booklet has been issued to the Tenant by way of the T signing for such items.

I have no reason to suspect the LA is not confident, but I like to be in control as much as possible where money / contracts etc are involved.

Comment

I can't guarantee that this is foolproof, but I send a letter (with proof of posting) with the Deposit Prescribed Information (2 copies), the EPC and How to Rent Booklet.

If I've got the GSC I include a copy. If I haven't, I tell the tenant that one has been left in the property and to contact the agent for any additional copies (the agent puts the GSC and smoke alarm checks on their check in inventory).

I give the tenants a stamped envelope to return one copy of the PI signed.

I give them my details (including a mobile number used only for the business that forwards to my own mobile) and reminds them to contact the agent if they have any problems.

I scan this (takes ages) and keep a copy.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I no longer take deposits, just make sure tenants are throughly vetted, but that may depend on the calibre of tenants you target.

Comment

JPK, that's perfect advice, I'll certainly be following that route.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Consumer rights act
              by doobrey
              I sent a LBC to a tradesman not so long ago and considered the same question. I concluded that I was not a consumer, so I cited the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.
              23-09-2020, 19:17 PM
            • Consumer rights act
              by Barrington
              Does anyone know if the consumer rights act covers agreements with letting agents and private landlords? We want to exit our contract stating consumer rights, but wanted to know if a private landlord could be considered a consumer.
              21-09-2020, 17:32 PM
              by ChrisDennison
              I guess you’re right. Assume everybody you’re dealing with is a total idiot and start from there, that’s always my motto. Until I find out I’m the total idiot not them
              23-09-2020, 10:22 AM
              by jpkeates
              They should assume that they are.
              Any trader should start from the basis that anyone they're dealing with is a consumer for that specific transaction.

The things that the Consumer Rights Act compels you to do and stops you from doing are things that you'd want to be very sure about...
              23-09-2020, 10:11 AM
              by Lawcruncher
              The Foxtons case was under the UTCCR 1999 which defined "consumer" as: "any natural person who, in contracts covered by these Regulations, is acting for purposes which are outside his trade, business or profession". the UTCCR 1999 has now been replaced by yje Consumer Rights Act...
              23-09-2020, 09:03 AM
              by Beswick
              This looks like a post for Lawcruncher ......
              23-09-2020, 05:54 AM
            • Proof of right to rent
              by Piptrees
              If my letting agent tells me they have carried out right to rent checks and references can I insist on seeing them?
              As this is a legal requirement I am thinking I need proof rather than just taking their word for it!
              22-09-2020, 16:01 PM
            • Reply to Proof of right to rent
              by Jon66
              Of course you can. They are working for you and you are paying for their service. The tail doesn't wag the dog.
              22-09-2020, 20:48 PM
            • Reply to Proof of right to rent
              by flyingfreehold
              You can ask. Most agents don't really take up proper references but use an algorythm which is based largely on their pay ignoring overtime and bonuses and credit file. We sometimes take people which the traffic light system would decline
              22-09-2020, 18:55 PM
            • Problem letting agent
              by Palme
              I would like some advice please.

My tenant is in £7,500 of rent arrears. He paid six months in advance and since then the rent has been late or not been paid. My agent whom I’ve had for seven years asked me to renew the tenancy when he was a month and a half in arrears.
              I stated...
              20-09-2020, 23:05 PM
            Working...
            X