Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement of White Goods

Dear All,
    Please would someone advise me on this issue?
    My tenant has been in situ for just over two years. A new STA was issued in March 2019. It is a furnished studio flat. All furnishings including white goods are listed on the inventory. All white goods were fully functioning asset the time of letting. Over Easter and during lockdown. T contacted me to say 3yrold freezer and oven and grill of cooker have both broken down. Am I as landlord responsible for replacing and installing these especially as he has used them for over 2 years? I hasten to add I have also provided a microwave oven.
    Stay safe everyone and thank you for your help.

Yep your responsibility. Providing more goods like microwaves increases your liability.

Comment

Thank you for your response Section 20z. After lockdown I may just have to increase the rent to help recover the costs.
      Stay Safe

Comment

Hi again Everyone,
        with regards to my last post; if I do increase the rent , will it be necessary to issue a new STA or can I leave the contract as is but formally write to the tenant informing him of the proposed rent increase?
        Again your helpful responses will be gratefully appreciated.

Comment

Is this in Scotland? If its in England then I beleive that the landlords repairing obligations don't extend to white goods, but there may be other drivers such as consumer legislation or local authority licensing to consider. I think its best to repair or replace them yourself and its likely to keep tenant relations smoother if you do.

Comment

I do apologise for my vagueness... the flat is in Wales. However, I have just ordered a replacement and managed to get an electrician to come out to install the appliance! #covid19
            Reluctantly I will have to consider increasing the rent to cover things like the electricians call out and labour plus delivery charges. I'm not being petty... as during the past year several other minor issues have arisen and altogether have mounted up to the point of me considering selling! Oh dear... sounds like I am seeking a shoulder to cry on ... whilst socially distancing! 😞 Thanks for your reply. Stay Safe

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X