Property sublet, and agents ask rental back as Fraudulent Rental Payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    While it is the tenant's who caused the loss, the agent was collecting on behalf of the landlord, so the loss is the landlords.

However, the agent shouldn't take credit card payments for rent and asking for the fee for the recalled rent is a bit much.
    So I'd decline and see what the agent actually does.
    I agree theoretically the loss is the landlords BUT legally for me this is the agents and tenants loss. Eg the agent would go to court and say I'm suing because I lost X amount to landlord. T would need to put right

If the agent takes the landlord to court what is he going to say is the reason for suing him ?

p.s to add to all of this we are assuming that the agent is telling the truth !

Comment

Originally posted by blinko View Post
      If the agent takes the landlord to court what is he going to say is the reason for suing him ?
      That he is the landlord's agent and collects the landlord's rent from the tenant.
      The tenant fraudulently persuaded their credit card company into reversing three payments and the landlord has declined to refund the agent for their loss.

The landlord can sue the tenant for the rent owed, the agent can't (because it isn't owed to them).
      The agent is an intermediary in this transaction.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I see your point and just debating with you as I think you have a valid point BUT I also think that it was the tenant that caused the loss to the agent NOT the landlord , this feels to me like a legally the landlord is off the hook but morally not.

Would welcome some legal experts on this one

Comment

jpkeates,

Thank you, so you suggest to refuse the agent as that is their dereliction of duty by accepting credit card payment, am I correct on that? My worry is that if it is criminal to refuse the payback of fraud money?

Comment

blinko,

Thanks for your point mate, yes please any legal expert can help?

Comment

Originally posted by rambits View Post

Thank you, so you suggest to refuse the agent as that is their dereliction of duty by accepting credit card payment, am I correct on that? My worry is that if it is criminal to refuse the payback of fraud money?
              I would say civil this is a business transaction that hasn't worked out exactly how it was supposed to,

1. we don't know if the card has actually been charged back or some idiot has pressed the wrong button at the estate agent
              2. You have done nothing wrong
              3. The tenants and their negligence is the reason why this situation has arisen, if this did go anywhere it would be small claims court.

There should be some legal heads along soon to clarify but I would be in no hurry to return funds

Comment

It isn't criminal to decline to payback fraud money - it's not your fraud, it's the tenants.

I think that you are possibly liable for the return of the money, but I don't see any reason to make it easy for the not very useful agent.

Taking credit card payments for rent is a no no (because of this situation) and then to ask you to pay their fees as well is beyond a joke.
                And there's a reasonable chance that they won't be 100% confident of their right to the money back.

It may be helpful to have a look at the agreement you have with the agent, because it may cover this situation (if they take credit card payments regularly, it has probably happened to them before).

But ultimately, the were collecting your rent, and it's your rent that's been recovered by the credit card company. The tenant owes you the rent, and only you can sue them to recover it.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks, I have asked agent to send across the agreement but they said have to wait until coming back to office. You are correct that the loss should be on me as that was the money owe me not the agent, but can I refuse to payback the rent because the negligence of agent that causing my property be illegally sublet, and also the fraudulent payment? So the agent has to cover my loss?

Comment

You can certainly try that.
                    I would.

Although the agent will point out that they weren't negligent about the subletting, they were culpable because of the credit card payment.
                    Keep arguing that point, see how far you get.

Comment

...can I refuse to payback the rent because the negligence of agent that causing my property be illegally sublet, and also the fraudulent payment? So the agent has to cover my loss?
                      The sub-let is not illegal, its just a breach of contract. Arguably the Agent should have picked up the fact much earlier, but I doubt they could have prevented it. Your real beef with the Agent is that they took a credit card payment for rent.

You could sue the Agent for the rent after returning it, but I think if it were me I would start by just declining to return the money on the basis of their incompetence and see what happens.

Comment

I've had a thought.

You could point out to the agent that their negligence in accepting rent paid by credit card is OK, because you haven't suffered any loss.
                        If you give them the money back, the loss will exist and you could sue them in Tort (or counter claim if they try and sue you).

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I have mentioned in the email replied to them regarding the negligence in accepting credit card payment on Thursday but nothing from the agent yet. will keep updating here. have a nice long weekend and keep safe.

Comment

The position is not as straightforward as I had imagined when I wrote post 2.

What actually happened is not entirely clear. I think we need full details.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How to choose letting agent
                              by LMK
                              Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
                              I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
                              But is there anything in particular that I should...
                              10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
                            • Reply to How to choose letting agent
                              by mind the gap
                              The capacity of some letting agents to disappoint is staggering. I work very hard to avoid using them, but I have to deal with their incompetence in managing the properties either side of mine, on a regular basis. If I could find a conscientious agent who understands LL & T law and house maintenance,...
                              11-07-2020, 22:23 PM
                              by Beswick
                              If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
                              11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
                            • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                              by Lawcruncher
                              Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
                              11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
                            • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                              by lamblord
                              Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
                              08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
                              by jpucng62
                              I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
                              10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
                              by Mrs Mug
                              See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
                              10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
                              by Beswick
                              Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
                              10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
                              by DPT57
                              Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
                              10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                            • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                              by jpkeates
                              And the tenant's free day may not coincide with yours.

There are five hidden benefits to using an agent:
                              1 - There are usually several people to answer the phone, make calls and arrange things at an agent, while if you DIY, there's you.
                              2 - It's much easier to say no to things...
                              09-07-2020, 10:04 AM
                            Working...
                            X