Use an agent or advertise online myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExpertInAField
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    The agents people seem to have most problems with are either one man outfits that go bust or large chains where the staff are inexperienced and massively short term target driven.
    Tell me about it. I had one when I was first starting out find a couple of tenants for me. The couple I get I find have pets, debts up to their eyeballs and a whole host of other issues. The agency didn't tell me about that or the other tenants they found, because the first couple were willing to sign the tenancy agreement on the day before their financial year end, whereas the others were not.

The experience of what followed is what made me find my own tenants from there on. I generally use Gumtree if I need to, though a surprising number of tenants have been referrals from previous tenants of mine.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Perhaps there's a useful and significant difference between a letting/estate agent that's small, two to five locations, all run by the person or family who founded it and larger and national chains or one man bands.

The agents people seem to have most problems with are either one man outfits that go bust or large chains where the staff are inexperienced and massively short term target driven.

Leave a comment:

• spiritdreams
    replied
    We had bad experience with using a high street agent, with rent arrears and false background checks, since we engaged them only for finding tenant, they are very keen to push anyone up on us to collect the half month rent as their fees.

In the end we used Openrent (not associated) with very good results, they effectively put your house up in all the major advertisement sites. But you have to vet the tenants yourself and provide viewings, which we are comfortable doing.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    I too use an agent on a tenant find basis but i always meet and show the prospective tenants around, the agent is not even there, i have had good tenants this way and the agent i use gets more tenants that i need so i have the pick of the best, this has worked for me and the fees they charge are reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post

If they want repeat business, then they have an interest in the on-going relationship.

I have a local agent that I trust and have not had a bad tenant from them.

They also include eviction support for one year as part of their tenant-find service.
    Interesting point of view.
    I suspect most large agents don't have any consideration for repeat business, it's just not in their thinking or business model.

But if you find a local agent who actually cares about their own business, it's a great thing.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Google RLA, resident LL Association.

Leave a comment:

• zv2k
    replied
    Thanks Blinko, what's RLA?

Leave a comment:

• zv2k
    replied
    Thanks expertinafield, do you source your tenants from rightmove etc?

thanks mdeB is eviction support included even if you want to manage the property yourself?

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I'd never suggest just tenant find, because the agent has no interest in the ongoing relationship.
    If they want repeat business, then they have an interest in the on-going relationship.

I have a local agent that I trust and have not had a bad tenant from them.

They also include eviction support for one year as part of their tenant-find service.

Leave a comment:

• ExpertInAField
    replied
    I've always been a person that likes to find my own tenants. I want to meet them in person, see what they are like, get to know them. I occasionally don't tell that I own the place, to see how they act.

Of course there are also times when I am not in the country, so I have a good friend that I trust to do the similar checks. He is not an agent in any way but I pay him for his time if needed.

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Join RLA as well if you are going alone the cost is tax deductible too

Leave a comment:

• zv2k
    replied
    Ah you've got it made then. Nice big back garden and hefty yields! Long may you prosper!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Thanks.
    Happy in the west midlands - London became too much for me!

Always happy to help.

Leave a comment:

• zv2k
    replied
    Thanks all. I previously found them using spareroom.co.uk

JP yes I will try to post lockdown, depending on government restrictions on viewings etc. But if she wants to stay while I do viewings I could offer her lower rent maybe?

thanks again JP you've replied to many posts of mine before! Are you based in London? I'll have to buy you a coffee one day 👍🏽

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It depends on what service you want from an agent.
    I'd never suggest just tenant find, because the agent has no interest in the ongoing relationship.
    If the agent is managing and would have to evict the tenant, there's a difference in their selection process.

You'll probably have to evict the one person staying there, though.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X