Use an agent or advertise online myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had bad experience with using a high street agent, with rent arrears and false background checks, since we engaged them only for finding tenant, they are very keen to push anyone up on us to collect the half month rent as their fees.

In the end we used Openrent (not associated) with very good results, they effectively put your house up in all the major advertisement sites. But you have to vet the tenants yourself and provide viewings, which we are comfortable doing.

Comment

Perhaps there's a useful and significant difference between a letting/estate agent that's small, two to five locations, all run by the person or family who founded it and larger and national chains or one man bands.

The agents people seem to have most problems with are either one man outfits that go bust or large chains where the staff are inexperienced and massively short term target driven.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        The agents people seem to have most problems with are either one man outfits that go bust or large chains where the staff are inexperienced and massively short term target driven.
        Tell me about it. I had one when I was first starting out find a couple of tenants for me. The couple I get I find have pets, debts up to their eyeballs and a whole host of other issues. The agency didn't tell me about that or the other tenants they found, because the first couple were willing to sign the tenancy agreement on the day before their financial year end, whereas the others were not.

The experience of what followed is what made me find my own tenants from there on. I generally use Gumtree if I need to, though a surprising number of tenants have been referrals from previous tenants of mine.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X