Tracing a letting Agent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MissT
    I have already contacted the council and they have said they are not interested , i have contacted the property owners mother as that was the only details i had she said she passed on the message to her son , and gave me his email for future communication .

    They are quite noisy upstairs child is always banging on the floor and crashing about its starting to drive me mad i have headphones on and i can hear the banging over them! I have thought about speaking to them but they dont speak fantastic English so it may be a little lost in translation , other than that they are ok .

    I dont think its right that they are letting out the bedroom to another adult its barely big enough for one person! plus this is not social distancing and as we are in a block with others i feel as thou its putting us at risk .

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    If there's a couple and another adult (who isn't related to them) is living there, it's an HMO.
    It probably doesn't have to be licensed (but check your local authority web site, because in some places it would need licensing).

    If nothing happens, write (letter envelope, the works) to the council's housing and environmental health department (showing you've copied them both) and point out that the property is being operated as an HMO and that none of the HMO requirements are being met (or could possibly be met) and that the property is therefore unsafe (no fire safety inspection has been done).

    Alternatively, as above, contact the property owner and tell them.

    The issue is really that your neighbours are going to know it's you and that could be awkward.
    What problem is the additional person causing you?

    Leave a comment:

  • MissT
    Thanks for the reply much appreciated its a one bed flat so i dont think that they are meant to be renting out the bedroom! i have contacted the owners mother , as i had her number from when he bought it apparently she passed on the message to her son so i guess i got to wait and see if he does anything, she also gave me his email and said to contact him in future! not sure if i should follow this up with an email or let him deal with it ... who knows!

    Leave a comment:

  • theartfullodger
    Spend £3 with land registry and find name and address of owner. Contact him. It may be entirely legal if space is - legally - large enough.

    Leave a comment:

  • MissT
    started a topic Tracing a letting Agent

    Tracing a letting Agent

    how can i find a letting agent , the property above me is a one bed flat . The couple that rented the flat have a toddler they all live in the sitting room and seem to rent out the bedroom ,Yesterday a new person moved in this is the 3rd person to live in the bedroom since they moved in .I am guessing this is not something the landlord knows about . does renting out the bedroom then make this a HMO house? i am just trying to find out some details on if this is legal as i have reported this to the council who are not interested and said they wont have the letting agent info.

Latest Activity


  • Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
    by Lots on
    I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
    06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
  • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
    by Fire Risk Assessor
    My first BTL I mistakenly used an agent to manage. 10% a month Plus VAT for doing nothing, when there is anything wrong they phone me to sort it out, they have lost high security keys (£40) and denied it. Tenant stayed for 4 years. Just moved out as I have sold the flat. They even changed the electricity...
    13-07-2020, 21:32 PM
  • How to choose letting agent
    by LMK
    Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
    I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
    But is there anything in particular that I should...
    10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
    by Beswick
    If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

    I've found that if...
    11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
  • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by lamblord
    Hi All,

    I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
    08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by Lawcruncher
    Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

    A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
    11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
    by jpucng62
    I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

    10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
    by Mrs Mug
    See the link below on how to select a letting agent.
    10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by Beswick
    Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

    If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
    10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by DPT57
    Nothing attached.

    Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

    Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
    10-07-2020, 17:15 PM