Tracing a letting Agent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tracing a letting Agent

    how can i find a letting agent , the property above me is a one bed flat . The couple that rented the flat have a toddler they all live in the sitting room and seem to rent out the bedroom ,Yesterday a new person moved in this is the 3rd person to live in the bedroom since they moved in .I am guessing this is not something the landlord knows about . does renting out the bedroom then make this a HMO house? i am just trying to find out some details on if this is legal as i have reported this to the council who are not interested and said they wont have the letting agent info.

    Spend £3 with land registry and find name and address of owner. Contact him. It may be entirely legal if space is - legally - large enough.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Thanks for the reply much appreciated its a one bed flat so i dont think that they are meant to be renting out the bedroom! i have contacted the owners mother , as i had her number from when he bought it apparently she passed on the message to her son so i guess i got to wait and see if he does anything, she also gave me his email and said to contact him in future! not sure if i should follow this up with an email or let him deal with it ... who knows!


        If there's a couple and another adult (who isn't related to them) is living there, it's an HMO.
        It probably doesn't have to be licensed (but check your local authority web site, because in some places it would need licensing).

        If nothing happens, write (letter envelope, the works) to the council's housing and environmental health department (showing you've copied them both) and point out that the property is being operated as an HMO and that none of the HMO requirements are being met (or could possibly be met) and that the property is therefore unsafe (no fire safety inspection has been done).

        Alternatively, as above, contact the property owner and tell them.

        The issue is really that your neighbours are going to know it's you and that could be awkward.
        What problem is the additional person causing you?

        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          I have already contacted the council and they have said they are not interested , i have contacted the property owners mother as that was the only details i had she said she passed on the message to her son , and gave me his email for future communication .

          They are quite noisy upstairs child is always banging on the floor and crashing about its starting to drive me mad i have headphones on and i can hear the banging over them! I have thought about speaking to them but they dont speak fantastic English so it may be a little lost in translation , other than that they are ok .

          I dont think its right that they are letting out the bedroom to another adult its barely big enough for one person! plus this is not social distancing and as we are in a block with others i feel as thou its putting us at risk .


          Latest Activity