Estate agent didn't collect the deposit or first month rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate agent didn't collect the deposit or first month rent

Hey everyone hope somebody can help as we are new to renting out a property. Me and my girlfriend planned to go travelling for 13 months and we had to rent out our house. We went with a local estate agents in Allington Maidstone as they were recommended in the area.

We signed an agency agreement between us the landlord and the estate agent. We decided a Let only was the best option (tenant find only). On the morning of 15th February 2020 we handed over the keys to the estate agent. The tenant moved in the following day.

We got an email on 17th February explaining they are awaiting payment from the tenant still. When collecting the keys the tenant provided a screenshot as proof of the transfer and they handed over the keys without checking the funds had cleared.

The tenant moved out after 5 weeks voluntarily but we have not yet received a penny from the tenant and the estate agent have said they dispute our claim that they have been negligible.

It has now been 6 weeks since the tenant moved out and he wont pay. We have rent guarantee with Endsleigh insurance however they will not cover the first months rent as this is always paid upfront before collecting the keys.

I’ve started a case with the property ombudsman, I was wondering whether anyone has got any advice?

Many thanks
    Rob & Claire

Hard to believe the agent can be this incompetent . Was no deposit taken either?

Comment

Why did Agent hand keys to T if no rent received?
      Agent was not negligable but negligent IMO

Comment

I was going to say the same -- why did you hand over the keys.....?????

It is not a good idea to get a tenant when you plan to go "travelling for 13 months" - you must leave the property vacant or pay someone to inspect it every few days. The whole system of laws does not want you to do this.

Pity they don't teach folk in schools how to protect themselves within the legal and economic framework

Did you pick the tenant yourself and show them around...?

Comment

You are lucky they left voluntarily. If you were returning any time soon it would take you the best part of a year to evict a reluctant tenant at the moment so youd be homeless. Just leave it empty, but get s parent or someone to check the tenant hasn't damaged or stolen anything

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            Hard to believe the agent can be this incompetent . Was no deposit taken either?
            Hi thanks for commenting, no deposit was taken as money never cleared

Comment

AndrewDod,

we had 3 people come round and view, me and my girlfriend choose the guy we thought was the best. we have family who live on the same road who would of inspected the house every month.

Comment

DPT57,

Luckily enough nothing was broken and we have moved back in until we restart our travels in december

Comment

As said you have had a very lucky escape, it could of gone very badly wrong. If you do decide to travel after all the virus situation is over i would be inclined to leave it empty if you can afford it, if there are issues and you are god knows where it may cost you dear.

Comment

What did Agent then advise?
                    Did the funds ever clear?

Comment

Hi Mariner, The funds never cleared and {name removed} kept advising:

On a positive note, I do think this is a genuine banking issue as if he was trying to pull a fast one , why engage with either of us at all and send screen shots from Barclays etc..

So we may as well give a further benefit of the doubt to {name removed} over this weekend, then take it from there Monday

Since he moved out they sympathise that the situation has left me looking to recoup costs and as a gesture of goodwill, they have waived there fee of £420 for tenant find. but feel the rest should be directed at the tenant, but with no forwarding address I cannot pursue him for monies owed.

Comment

Do Not post identifying details.
                        I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by robjohnk View Post
                          Hi Mariner, The funds never cleared and {name removed} kept advising:

On a positive note, I do think this is a genuine banking issue as if he was trying to pull a fast one , why engage with either of us at all and send screen shots from Barclays etc..

So we may as well give a further benefit of the doubt to {name removed} over this weekend, then take it from there Monday

Since he moved out they sympathise that the situation has left me looking to recoup costs and as a gesture of goodwill, they have waived there fee of £420 for tenant find. but feel the rest should be directed at the tenant, but with no forwarding address I cannot pursue him for monies owed.
                          Agent & tenant really saw you coming, I'm afraid.

IT'S NOT A BANKING ISSUE!

As others have said, leave house empty next time.

Comment

I can understand why the OP would not want to leave the house empty and I don't think I would do so. However I would be certain that I had someone here to deal with issues and that I knew enough about the rules not to be taken for a ride by a poor agent (which has happened to me and many others in the past). It is of course a risk, as is any tenancy and cannot be done on a whim (all the legal requirements have to be met of course eg gas safety etc). It is also important that the OP and his girlfriend will have somewhere else to stay when they return home in case there are issues in removing a difficult tenant. This has been a bad experience. With good care and preparation the next one may not be. There are no guarantees!
                            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X