X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoobleFoot
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    They're probably legitimate in the sense that they're charges that an agent can levy.
    They're probably not something that they can charge you if you haven't agreed to pay them.
    I never agreed to any of these charges. At first I thought that the “deposit protection fee” was because a new thing regarding a new and fairer way of keeping deposits safe that came in a few years ago but now they agency admitted that they have been charging it to me incorrectly and offered to reimburse me that charge but not all of it.

i feel like I’ve been made a mug because they’ve been ripping me off for years

Leave a comment:

• WoobleFoot
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    When you wrote (yes, WROTE/email) to agent asking on what authority did they think they could levy these charges, what reply did you get, please?
    Regarding the “compliance indemnity” they replied that they had emailed me telling me of this charge and that is was at this point that I should of told them I didn’t want it. I didn’t receive and email and I started being charged a few months before they say they sent me an email.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    When you wrote (yes, WROTE/email) to agent asking on what authority did they think they could levy these charges, what reply did you get, please?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    They're probably legitimate in the sense that they're charges that an agent can levy.
    They're probably not something that they can charge you if you haven't agreed to pay them.

Leave a comment:

• WoobleFoot
    started a topic Charges

Charges

As well as 10% (+VAT@20%) commission I am being charged by my estate agent
    “Premier rent service & guarantee” £40
    “Compliance indemnity” £13
    “Deposit protection fee” £4
    I never agreed to these charges.

In 2014 and earlier this year they charged me “Premier rent service & guarantee”, I questioned it and they refunded me. They are other incidences of over charges but I don’t recall the details at this moment.

Interestingly I have 2 properties with this estate agent and I don’t see the same “extras” on both properties.

Are these legitimate charges?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
    by Lots on
    I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
    06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
  • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
    by Fire Risk Assessor
    My first BTL I mistakenly used an agent to manage. 10% a month Plus VAT for doing nothing, when there is anything wrong they phone me to sort it out, they have lost high security keys (£40) and denied it. Tenant stayed for 4 years. Just moved out as I have sold the flat. They even changed the electricity...
    13-07-2020, 21:32 PM
  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
    by Beswick
    If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
    11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
  • How to choose letting agent
    by LMK
    Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
    I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
    But is there anything in particular that I should...
    10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by Lawcruncher
    Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
    11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
  • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
    by lamblord
    Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
    08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
    by jpucng62
    I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
    10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
    by Mrs Mug
    See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
    10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
    by Beswick
    Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
    10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
    by DPT57
    Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
    10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
Working...
X