Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement - service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement - service

I am moving my BTL propert already with tenant to an agent, they have quoted fee of £300 for a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement . It be £180 after that when renewal time in 1 year.

Price seems a quite a lot, I was wondering if there are other companies that do this service for cheaper?

I seen on wed Diy and download AST, are these any good and can someone recommend?

If you already have a tenant in place, there should already by a tenancy agreement?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have a agreement but the agent did not accept it as it was a downloaded type which I used and they question it on the legal side of thing?

Comment

The tenant doesn't have to agree a new tenancy agreement, if they're happy with the one they've got.

They're not charging you for the document, they're charging you for the service of preparing it and getting it signed.

That will create a new tenancy with a new fixed term, and it looks like they plan to create another one with a new fixed-term next year as well.

I'd consider a different agent, these guys don't sound to be on your side, really.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

One big advantage of letting tenants hold over under an agreement that has contractually expired - so that they become assured periodic tenants is that you don't need to re-register the tenancy deposit; which would be the case if granting a new agreement. We have tenants who hold over for years and years. It saves a lot of paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by sva14 View Post

I am moving my BTL propert already with tenant to an agent, they have quoted fee of £300 for a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement . It be £180 after that when renewal time in 1 year.

Price seems a quite a lot, I was wondering if there are other companies that do this service for cheaper?

I seen on wed Diy and download AST, are these any good and can someone recommend?

The agent's imperative is to turn your capital into his income!

Comment

Ok , the agent when I showed them my copy said it was not stand up in the legal court, also it only had 1 tenant on it and there is 2 adults living there mother and daughter

Not sure if they were just saying that to make them use my service?

Can I use the ast from the RLA as below if I wish? Rather than paying for their £300 service ? The agent cannot force me to use their service can they?

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/docu.../doc_AST.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                One big advantage of letting tenants hold over under an agreement that has contractually expired - so that they become assured periodic tenants is that you don't need to re-register the tenancy deposit; which would be the case if granting a new agreement. We have tenants who hold over for years and years. It saves a lot of paperwork.

Reading the above , could I say to agent I want the agreement currently in place to June and then once expired have it as assured periodic tenant and keep the agreement going on monthly basis ?

Comment

Originally posted by sva14 View Post
                  Ok , the agent when I showed them my copy said it was not stand up in the legal court, also it only had 1 tenant on it and there is 2 adults living there mother and daughter
                  The only issue with there being two adults in the property and only one of them on the tenancy agreement is if it affects your insurance or mortgage terms and conditions.
                  Otherwise the situation is that there are two people living there but only one is your tenant (and liable for rent etc).
                  That's pretty normal.

As to an agreement not standing up in court, that's a pretty astonishing statement.
                  It's quite possible for a tenancy to have no written agreement at all, so the idea that your tenancy agreement is worse than nothing seems a bit over the top.
                  Some parts of it might not be as reliable as you might wish.
                  It might not be perfect, or even very good, but the idea it wouldn't stand up in court sounds like nonsense to me.

Can I use the ast from the RLA as below if I wish? Rather than paying for their £300 service ? The agent cannot force me to use their service can they?
                  Yes, they can decide not to do business with you if you don't agree.

Agents are a business and they may legitimately want to use a single agreement so that they know what they've go to do for every tenant.

It caused some difficulty for my agent when I wanted to manage my tenant's deposits, because it meant that for every customer but me, they worked one way, and had to remember that I was different.

Agents do a job and need to earn a living; If you want them to provide you a service, you want them to be successful without ripping you off. So only you know if the costs they are quoting are worth it (because the one fee you have quoted isn't that bad).

But, on the basis that they're talking nonsense about your current tenancy agreement I'd query whether you should do business with them at all. A professional relationship would be based on them saying that, yes they'd like your business, it will cost £x million billion pounds to take over an existing tenancy, they'd insist on the tenant signing one of their tenancy agreements and after that it would be £x a month.

You could make a simple decision to go ahead or not.
                  Offering things that sound optional but you really have to agree to them doesn't sound a sensible start point.
                  You not wanting to pay £300 for something they seem to thing is necessary doesn't sound like a sensible start point.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                    by Lots on
                    I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
                    06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
                  • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                    by Fire Risk Assessor
                    My first BTL I mistakenly used an agent to manage. 10% a month Plus VAT for doing nothing, when there is anything wrong they phone me to sort it out, they have lost high security keys (£40) and denied it. Tenant stayed for 4 years. Just moved out as I have sold the flat. They even changed the electricity...
                    13-07-2020, 21:32 PM
                  • How to choose letting agent
                    by LMK
                    Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
                    I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
                    But is there anything in particular that I should...
                    10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
                  • Reply to How to choose letting agent
                    by Beswick
                    If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
                    11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
                  • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                    by Lawcruncher
                    Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
                    11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
                  • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                    by lamblord
                    Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
                    08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
                    by jpucng62
                    I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
                    10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
                    by Mrs Mug
                    See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
                    10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
                    by Beswick
                    Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
                    10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
                    by DPT57
                    Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
                    10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                  Working...
                  X