Letting agents want application form filled before checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agents want application form filled before checks

I have asked to be put forward for a property with a letting agents.
    They have given me my form to fill out which I did. I’ve now had an email asking for my guarantor form to also be filled in.

i explained that my guarantor won’t fill it in until the landlord agrees to carry out the referencing on me.

ive now been told that the letting agents will not put me forward to the landlord until my guarantor has filled and signed the form!

ive explained that the form is for referencing, if they want him to email with his current salary and to confirm he has no adverse credit, he’s fine with that but they are demanding this form be completed!

We haven’t even got to the referencing star yet, the landlord doesn’t even know id like to apply!

They probably want to do both checks at the same time.

If you know in advance you need a guarantor there's not much to gain from not doing what the agent/landlord wants.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

They have specifically said “the check won’t be carried out until the landlord agrees to rent to you based on satisfactory referencing. Once they do, we will have you come back in to pay the holding deposit”.

Comment

So why can’t I do the form when I go in to pay the deposit??

you talk about how I should “do as the letting agent says” but fail to appreciate I have a guarantor who isn’t happy with constantly providing personal details only for me to be declined BEFORE the referencing has been carried out.

Comment

If you need a guarantor, you're already on the back foot as far as some agents and landlords are concerned.
          For instance, I don't allow any tenants who would need a guarantee - because guarantees are very hard to enforce, not because of the tenants.

The landlord / agent has to pay money to reference someone and my guess is that they want to give the information a once over before they spend any money on you, in case it's simply a waste of money.

Agents used to love taking up references because they used to be able to charge applicants for them, so it was all income, regardless of the outcome.
          Now they aren't allowed to charge applicants (and possibly are charging the landlord) they're going to be a lot less happy to vary their processes at all.

If your guarantor isn't prepared to comply, that's their prerogative.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Per your other thread it would be far better if your wealthy father was names as a co-tenant. But then you would not be able to get Housing "benefit".

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Do i have an exit?
              by Jacksy
              Hi all
              Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
              13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
            • Reply to Do i have an exit?
              by Sydaton
              Looks to me as though you read it correctly and you have no further liability after leaving after you give 2 months notice
              14-02-2020, 06:48 AM
              by Jacksy
              My main concern was they said we had to stay the full 36 months. Then they emailed asking us to sign on again for 6 or 12 months.

Then i saw the clause and i thought hang on that means we can give two month written notice.. i just wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly.
              13-02-2020, 13:57 PM
              by AndrewDod
              (Last message flagged as spam -- So here is a replicate with some added text sdfsdf sfsd af sdaf sdaf sdf sdf sd fsdafsdafsdafsadfsdafsadf)

Sounds like a reasonably valid break clause to me. Assuming your partner is a named tenant you BOTH need to give the notice (unlike a periodic tenancy)....
              13-02-2020, 13:52 PM
            • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
              by DPT57
              I doubt it would be considered an unfair term, its pretty standard practice for agents to charge a fee if their client wants to end the contract early. However, I agree that where there has been incompetence this should be challenged by a landlord....
              13-02-2020, 12:17 PM
            • Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
              by 787greenliner
              Hi there world of landlord zone...

Im in need of some desperate help!

long story short I'm a landlord I currently let two properties to long terms tenants, both using the same agency.

However in the last year the agency has given me countless headaches...
              28-01-2020, 17:51 PM
            • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
              by doobrey
              Exit fee might be deemed an unfair term?

787greenliner, my personal view is that if the agent has been demonstrably ineffective / negligent you should be able to end your agreement without any exit charges and that is probably what I would be pushing for in that case.

You need...
              12-02-2020, 23:13 PM
            • Letting agents want application form filled before checks
              by Chaseleyreanne
              I have asked to be put forward for a property with a letting agents.
              They have given me my form to fill out which I did. I’ve now had an email asking for my guarantor form to also be filled in.

i explained that my guarantor won’t fill it in until the landlord agrees to carry out...
              06-02-2020, 11:15 AM
            • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
              by AndrewDod
              Per your other thread it would be far better if your wealthy father was names as a co-tenant. But then you would not be able to get Housing "benefit"....
              06-02-2020, 20:26 PM
            • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
              by jpkeates
              If you need a guarantor, you're already on the back foot as far as some agents and landlords are concerned.
              For instance, I don't allow any tenants who would need a guarantee - because guarantees are very hard to enforce, not because of the tenants.

The landlord / agent has to pay...
              06-02-2020, 14:04 PM
            Working...
            X