Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!

Hi there world of landlord zone...

Im in need of some desperate help!

long story short I'm a landlord I currently let two properties to long terms tenants, both using the same agency.

However in the last year the agency has given me countless headaches with their mismanagement & negligence.

Im in the process of trying to take over the management of the properties myself and keep the current tenants,
    However the agency is not being at all helpful.
    They want over £1500 of fees (stated in the contract at £600 per property)(£180 each property for check out) for me to exit the contracts, I’m stating that because of their incompetence & mismanagement I am not prepared to pay that money. Ive offered £600 as a settlement offer.

Now the agent has taken it upon himself to withhold my rent monies (£636) to compensate his fees and still wants the rest to be paid, he’s also refusing to pay back tenants deposits held in the DPS scheme stating a proper check out is needed (my argument is a check out is N/A as the tenants are not vacating the property and I am assuming responsibility from here on in).

Im trying to gather as much info as I can so I can come to a conclusion if I have a case or not or if I should bite the bullet and up despite the blackmail from the agent.

If someone could get back to me or point me in the right direction it’d be much appreciated!

other points: The agent has given me 3 different sets of fees for leaving. firstly £1320 - I asked for a breakdown, he sent me...
    second £1560 (£600 per property plus £180 check out fee.

after previously expressing I was unhappy with the service I was getting months ago I was assured things would change, naturally mistakes are still being made, ie rent money forgetting to be paid into my account, not sending landlord statements with the payments) so ive written the agent a 3 page letter detailing many occasions of negligence and poor management also claiming I wish to bring our contract to a close. ive also given written permission signed by myself and the tenants for their deposit to be paid back to them directly in full (so they can be re invested into the DPS under my account)

ive also signed new contracts with the tenants from the 1st of feb to reassure them that despite what the agency may throw, they are not being evicted. the contracts were drawn up with the idea to take over as soon as the current contract with the agency ends (if people suggest this is a bad idea then I'm happy to destroy these new contracts)

the contract I have in place states no where the amount of time given to end the contract. therefore I could potentially give formal notice to end the contract at anytime.

The agent has since replied to my letter obviously not apologising or taking responsibility for my allegations, also claiming everything ive set up is void and my letter wishing to leave the agreement is not valid... also threatening court if the leaving fees are not met. as well as that he's also claiming that if the tenants do not pay the rent to him as normal (11th of the month - roughly in two weeks since this was posted) then his accounts will be in areas and the tenants are liable etc.

my argument is I am the actual landlord and my accounts will not be in areas. and also he shall no longer be employed to manage the properties so how is that applicable?

like I stated earlier, despite my written permission to him (and DPS) to release the deposits back to the tenants, he is unwilling to proceed and won't play ball until his fees are met. also is he not willing to negotiate the fees at all and is now claiming I'm in breach of contract for going behind his back.

Any suggestions, pointers and even solicitor recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    I fully understand Im not perfect and I may well have made some mistakes here but I'm willing to learn and I'm eager for any help.

Many Thanks & Take Care

787Gr

You can complain about the poor service to whatever redress scheme the Agent belongs to but if you dont want to pay a fee to which you are contractually bound, you will probably need the help of a solicitor, which could cost you more than the fee.

Comment

Tell the agent that he is your agent and therefore he is required to do what you instruct, as long as it is not illegal.

It is not illegal to return the deposit to the tenant, and therefore that is what agent must do.

If the tenant has signed a new contract with you, then that is binding even if you destroy the copies.

You need to ensure that you get all the documentation you require from the agent (if you do not already have it), such as
      • record of service of applicable documents.
      • inventory/condition report at start of occupation.
      • Proof of right to rent.
      • proof of deposit protection and Prescribed Information

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        if you dont want to pay a fee to which you are contractually bound, you will probably need the help of a solicitor.
        Exit fee might be deemed an unfair term?

787greenliner, my personal view is that if the agent has been demonstrably ineffective / negligent you should be able to end your agreement without any exit charges and that is probably what I would be pushing for in that case.

You need to be very specific about everything they have done wrong in order to make a case. There are a few codes of practice in existence (e.g. https://www.tpos.co.uk/images/Codes_..._June_2019.pdf) which can be a very useful reference. You might do well to find the most relevant one and list instances where your agent has not complied.

I would say definitely pursue the redress scheme route. It is slow but it can be effective.

And yes the agent works for you. They cannot start running the tenancy as if it were their own.

The documentation MdeB mentioned has the potential to strengthen your case with the agent (while weakening your position with the tenants, although it sounds as if that is not a major concern here) since they might not have it. Were they found not to have done e.g. Right to Rent checks - or be unable to prove it - that provides ammunition for you.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I doubt it would be considered an unfair term, its pretty standard practice for agents to charge a fee if their client wants to end the contract early. However, I agree that where there has been incompetence this should be challenged by a landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Do i have an exit?
            by Jacksy
            Hi all
            Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
            13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
          • Reply to Do i have an exit?
            by Sydaton
            Looks to me as though you read it correctly and you have no further liability after leaving after you give 2 months notice
            14-02-2020, 06:48 AM
            by Jacksy
            My main concern was they said we had to stay the full 36 months. Then they emailed asking us to sign on again for 6 or 12 months.

Then i saw the clause and i thought hang on that means we can give two month written notice.. i just wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly.
            13-02-2020, 13:57 PM
            by AndrewDod
            (Last message flagged as spam -- So here is a replicate with some added text sdfsdf sfsd af sdaf sdaf sdf sdf sd fsdafsdafsdafsadfsdafsadf)

Sounds like a reasonably valid break clause to me. Assuming your partner is a named tenant you BOTH need to give the notice (unlike a periodic tenancy)....
            13-02-2020, 13:52 PM
          • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
            by DPT57
            I doubt it would be considered an unfair term, its pretty standard practice for agents to charge a fee if their client wants to end the contract early. However, I agree that where there has been incompetence this should be challenged by a landlord....
            13-02-2020, 12:17 PM
          • Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
            by 787greenliner
            Hi there world of landlord zone...

Im in need of some desperate help!

long story short I'm a landlord I currently let two properties to long terms tenants, both using the same agency.

However in the last year the agency has given me countless headaches...
            28-01-2020, 17:51 PM
          • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
            by doobrey
            Exit fee might be deemed an unfair term?

787greenliner, my personal view is that if the agent has been demonstrably ineffective / negligent you should be able to end your agreement without any exit charges and that is probably what I would be pushing for in that case.

You need...
            12-02-2020, 23:13 PM
          • Letting agents want application form filled before checks
            by Chaseleyreanne
            I have asked to be put forward for a property with a letting agents.
            They have given me my form to fill out which I did. I’ve now had an email asking for my guarantor form to also be filled in.

i explained that my guarantor won’t fill it in until the landlord agrees to carry out...
            06-02-2020, 11:15 AM
          • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
            by AndrewDod
            Per your other thread it would be far better if your wealthy father was names as a co-tenant. But then you would not be able to get Housing "benefit"....
            06-02-2020, 20:26 PM
          • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
            by jpkeates
            If you need a guarantor, you're already on the back foot as far as some agents and landlords are concerned.
            For instance, I don't allow any tenants who would need a guarantee - because guarantees are very hard to enforce, not because of the tenants.

The landlord / agent has to pay...
            06-02-2020, 14:04 PM
          Working...
          X