Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?

Hi,

I have been renting a 1 bedroom property in London for the last 14 years which has been pretty successful. For the first number of years I rented it myself (I had one guy in there for 5 years whch was great) but in the last 4-5 years I have been using agents. When using an agent the tenants haven't stayed beyond a year so I haven't faced this issue around renewal fees for me as the landlord.

So my current tenant (AST started on 3rd April 2019) would like to stay beyond April of this year but the terms and conditions I signed in 2018 for my previous tenancy with them (I don't see anything in the agreement I signed with them about how long the agreement applies for), not the current one, states that renewal fees are 6% + VAT (compared to 7% + VAT for the inital find only fee).

The relevant terms and conditions I signed are below but it is worth noting that the final page of the agreement refers specifically to the renewal fees, which I guess is to ensure they dont get caught by the OFT and Foxtons hidden clause issue from back in 2010 or so.

Their terms and conditions seem to close off the option of letting it go periodic as a means to avoid the "renewal fees" although it would be payable monthly in advance.

For some reason the tenant knows the estate agents (their office is right underneath my building) so any chance of trying to pull a fast one and pretend she isn't there isn't going to fly.

I know things have changed with respect to the fees tenants can be charged for renewals but is there anything which applies to landlord fees?

Does anyone have any advice in what to do in this situation? Should I

a) Continue on a periodic tenancy
    b) Renew myself directly
    c) Renew through the agency but ask for say a 3% increase in rent to offset the renewal fee?
    d) Try and negotiate the 6% + VAT renewal rent with the agency under threat of me getting a new tenant with another agency and agreeing a 0% renewal fee

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

renewal fees.png
    Attached Files

The images are two small to be able to read more than a small part.

If option (c) exists, your rents are below market price.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will upload the terms again tonight but they seem pretty comprehensive to me.

Option c is about the only avenue open to me if I renew though the agent. i.e. they should at least do something for their fee and would be able to comment on the fair market rent.

Obviously I need to not take it above market rate otherwise the tenant may choose to move out but I wonder if 3% is considered generally acceptable compared to inflation. I do understand the benefit of a good tenant though and haven't generally increased tents when I've rented it myself - I prefer to keep a good tenant onside.

Comment

I've uploaded the terms as below.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

renewal fees.jpg

Comment

If that's what you agreed t, then that's what due even if you deal with the renewal yourself. About ten or so years ago a client of the London firm Foxton (who incidentally charged pretty much the highest fees at the time) refused to pay renewal commission and the case went to Court.
          https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/20...n-on-renewals/

After the Foxton case which I seem to remember rumbled on for years and went to appeal people (included me) used to try to wriggle out of renewal commission by citing the Foxton case but I don't think that eventual decision allows for that gig will work any more. The order made directed agents to make it clear in their contract what would or would not be due at renewals. and here the agent made it clear that you would be paying these fees if you signed up with this firm and I think you are stuck with them. Your only hope is that the agent goes bust ceases to exist and there is no-one around to demand them of you

Comment

That wasn't the outcome of the Foxton's case.

The decision was that agents couldn't charge for work that they didn't do.
            What work does the agent do for the fee they're proposing to charge?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you might be mistaken. The only reason it went against Foxton ab initio was that they didn't make it clear in type size of reasonable size, for example to their client that renewal fees would have to be paid. Nowadays agents spell it out. So the contract between the parties is upheld.

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                I think you might be mistaken.
                It's possible.
                I've been wrong before.

There were three types of clause that are unfair unless they are brought to the landlord's attention and they have the opportunity to specifically agree them as they are clearly disadvantageous.

https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/20...s-4-4-million/

It needs a lot more than making the terms clear.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi

i am curious to know how you resolved the issue. Did you get legal advice? I am in the same boat with a London agency looking for £1900 for a renewal which required little or no work on their behalf.

Comment

I'm afraid I just coughed up the renewal fees. I did howver negotiate a further reduction in renewal fees. I had signed up to 7% + VAT for the first letting and 6% + VAT for renewals to reduce 1% each year.

However having spoken with other agents, a 2% step down and for only 1 renewal was common. They obviously knew that as I was pushing against an open door.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
                      by Tallulahpop
                      Hi all, I’ve joined this forum specifically to get some advice as I don’t know who else to ask 🤷‍♀️
                      I currently live in a rented house but the landlord is selling so we found another house through a letting agent and have signed a contract stating our tenancy starts on 3rd October....
                      24-09-2020, 11:16 AM
                    • Reply to Advice
                      by Section20z
                      Too subtle, will use the winking emoji in future. Lol....
                      25-09-2020, 22:14 PM
                    • Reply to Advice
                      by doobrey
                      I understood the inverted commas to mean "so-called" or "perceived".
                      25-09-2020, 20:27 PM
                    • Reply to Advice
                      by jpucng62
                      Why is this a 'greedy scumbag landlord'? It is a tenant (who presumably gave notice), who is not moving out because their new build isn't ready on time (because the builder hasn't finished it - probably due to coronavirus) - about the only person not to blame is the landlord!...
                      25-09-2020, 20:02 PM
                    • Landlord Renewal
                      by Bubbles101222
                      Hi everyone, hoping someone can help please.
                      I have been letting my property out for around 3 years. I have a good relationship with my tenants.
                      I got an email from agent to say it’s time for renewal on 14th Oct 2020 & would I like to do 12 months, I replied yes, thinking I had no...
                      24-09-2020, 18:53 PM
                    • Reply to Landlord Renewal
                      by DPT57
                      Its the way that Agents make their money these days. They don't reveal the full facts to landlords about most things that are not in their interest because they are probably in survival mode. As above, if you're unhappy, do what the rest of us do and learn the business so that you can self-manage.
                      25-09-2020, 15:28 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      You've been charged a fee that you agreed to following an agreement that you made to renew the tenancy.
                      While it sounds like the agent didn't make you aware of all of your options, I don't think you have too many grounds to complain.

"I got an email from agent to say it’s time...
                      25-09-2020, 09:11 AM
                      by Stew
                      Pros and Cons to them signing the year AST, it gives you slightly more security that the place is let for a certain duration, the con is that on the month to month rolling it gives the tenant more flexibility that they can move on a whim. £120 for the security might not be so much of a bad deal but...
                      25-09-2020, 08:40 AM
                      by Beswick
                      Write a letter of complaint, not forgetting to mention the Redress Scheme.

Once you've exhausted the process, ditch the agent and self-manage. Use something like OpenRent to find your future tenants.
                      Either that, or find another agent.

Letting agents will only get the...
                      25-09-2020, 07:41 AM
                    • Reply to Advice
                      by jpucng62
                      This is a very unfortunate situation and although there are legal rights and wrongs that doesn't always put the roof over your head! Suing anybody is likely to be longwinded and expensive - what you need is a pragmatic solution.

As I see it you have 2 options:

1. Look for a...
                      25-09-2020, 07:04 AM
                    Working...
                    X