Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?

Hi,

I have been renting a 1 bedroom property in London for the last 14 years which has been pretty successful. For the first number of years I rented it myself (I had one guy in there for 5 years whch was great) but in the last 4-5 years I have been using agents. When using an agent the tenants haven't stayed beyond a year so I haven't faced this issue around renewal fees for me as the landlord.

So my current tenant (AST started on 3rd April 2019) would like to stay beyond April of this year but the terms and conditions I signed in 2018 for my previous tenancy with them (I don't see anything in the agreement I signed with them about how long the agreement applies for), not the current one, states that renewal fees are 6% + VAT (compared to 7% + VAT for the inital find only fee).

The relevant terms and conditions I signed are below but it is worth noting that the final page of the agreement refers specifically to the renewal fees, which I guess is to ensure they dont get caught by the OFT and Foxtons hidden clause issue from back in 2010 or so.

Their terms and conditions seem to close off the option of letting it go periodic as a means to avoid the "renewal fees" although it would be payable monthly in advance.

For some reason the tenant knows the estate agents (their office is right underneath my building) so any chance of trying to pull a fast one and pretend she isn't there isn't going to fly.

I know things have changed with respect to the fees tenants can be charged for renewals but is there anything which applies to landlord fees?

Does anyone have any advice in what to do in this situation? Should I

a) Continue on a periodic tenancy
    b) Renew myself directly
    c) Renew through the agency but ask for say a 3% increase in rent to offset the renewal fee?
    d) Try and negotiate the 6% + VAT renewal rent with the agency under threat of me getting a new tenant with another agency and agreeing a 0% renewal fee

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

renewal fees.png
    Attached Files

The images are two small to be able to read more than a small part.

If option (c) exists, your rents are below market price.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will upload the terms again tonight but they seem pretty comprehensive to me.

Option c is about the only avenue open to me if I renew though the agent. i.e. they should at least do something for their fee and would be able to comment on the fair market rent.

Obviously I need to not take it above market rate otherwise the tenant may choose to move out but I wonder if 3% is considered generally acceptable compared to inflation. I do understand the benefit of a good tenant though and haven't generally increased tents when I've rented it myself - I prefer to keep a good tenant onside.

Comment

I've uploaded the terms as below.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

renewal fees.jpg

Comment

If that's what you agreed t, then that's what due even if you deal with the renewal yourself. About ten or so years ago a client of the London firm Foxton (who incidentally charged pretty much the highest fees at the time) refused to pay renewal commission and the case went to Court.
          https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/20...n-on-renewals/

After the Foxton case which I seem to remember rumbled on for years and went to appeal people (included me) used to try to wriggle out of renewal commission by citing the Foxton case but I don't think that eventual decision allows for that gig will work any more. The order made directed agents to make it clear in their contract what would or would not be due at renewals. and here the agent made it clear that you would be paying these fees if you signed up with this firm and I think you are stuck with them. Your only hope is that the agent goes bust ceases to exist and there is no-one around to demand them of you

Comment

That wasn't the outcome of the Foxton's case.

The decision was that agents couldn't charge for work that they didn't do.
            What work does the agent do for the fee they're proposing to charge?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you might be mistaken. The only reason it went against Foxton ab initio was that they didn't make it clear in type size of reasonable size, for example to their client that renewal fees would have to be paid. Nowadays agents spell it out. So the contract between the parties is upheld.

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
                I think you might be mistaken.
                It's possible.
                I've been wrong before.

There were three types of clause that are unfair unless they are brought to the landlord's attention and they have the opportunity to specifically agree them as they are clearly disadvantageous.

https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/20...s-4-4-million/

It needs a lot more than making the terms clear.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Do i have an exit?
                  by Jacksy
                  Hi all
                  Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
                  13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
                • Reply to Do i have an exit?
                  by Sydaton
                  Looks to me as though you read it correctly and you have no further liability after leaving after you give 2 months notice
                  14-02-2020, 06:48 AM
                  by Jacksy
                  My main concern was they said we had to stay the full 36 months. Then they emailed asking us to sign on again for 6 or 12 months.

Then i saw the clause and i thought hang on that means we can give two month written notice.. i just wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly.
                  13-02-2020, 13:57 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  (Last message flagged as spam -- So here is a replicate with some added text sdfsdf sfsd af sdaf sdaf sdf sdf sd fsdafsdafsdafsadfsdafsadf)

Sounds like a reasonably valid break clause to me. Assuming your partner is a named tenant you BOTH need to give the notice (unlike a periodic tenancy)....
                  13-02-2020, 13:52 PM
                • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
                  by DPT57
                  I doubt it would be considered an unfair term, its pretty standard practice for agents to charge a fee if their client wants to end the contract early. However, I agree that where there has been incompetence this should be challenged by a landlord....
                  13-02-2020, 12:17 PM
                • Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
                  by 787greenliner
                  Hi there world of landlord zone...

Im in need of some desperate help!

long story short I'm a landlord I currently let two properties to long terms tenants, both using the same agency.

However in the last year the agency has given me countless headaches...
                  28-01-2020, 17:51 PM
                • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
                  by doobrey
                  Exit fee might be deemed an unfair term?

787greenliner, my personal view is that if the agent has been demonstrably ineffective / negligent you should be able to end your agreement without any exit charges and that is probably what I would be pushing for in that case.

You need...
                  12-02-2020, 23:13 PM
                • Letting agents want application form filled before checks
                  by Chaseleyreanne
                  I have asked to be put forward for a property with a letting agents.
                  They have given me my form to fill out which I did. I’ve now had an email asking for my guarantor form to also be filled in.

i explained that my guarantor won’t fill it in until the landlord agrees to carry out...
                  06-02-2020, 11:15 AM
                • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
                  by AndrewDod
                  Per your other thread it would be far better if your wealthy father was names as a co-tenant. But then you would not be able to get Housing "benefit"....
                  06-02-2020, 20:26 PM
                • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
                  by jpkeates
                  If you need a guarantor, you're already on the back foot as far as some agents and landlords are concerned.
                  For instance, I don't allow any tenants who would need a guarantee - because guarantees are very hard to enforce, not because of the tenants.

The landlord / agent has to pay...
                  06-02-2020, 14:04 PM
                Working...
                X