Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renegotiate Rate with LA

Hi,

I purchased my first BTL property just over 12 months ago and it has been let for 11 months. I currently pay the letting agent 10%+VAT for rent collection only. The tenant is happy in the property but doesn't want to pay a fee for another fixed term - and neither do I, so we've agreed it will just go into the monthly rolling periodic. The property is let for £925 a month.

However I feel after 12 months of having the same tenant I should renegotiate with the letting agent. They work they do is currently sending me the money each month alongside a monthly electronic statement.

The rate is competitive (it is a village area so there are limited agents), after getting quotes from three agents in the area. They weren't the cheapest, but not the most expensive. I have a 2 month cancellation notice period.

Am I being realistic? I was thinking at going in at 6%+VAT, but would agree to 7% or 8%.

Why have an agent at all if all they do is collect the rent? Have a look at your agreement, sometimes you can't cancel while the same tenant is still in the house.

Comment

Thanks Roy. The agreement also included tenant find, which on it's own would be the equivalent to 6 months commission (due to a large landlord set up fee..). As this is my first BTL property I thought I would do it this way to get into the swing of things.

I don't plan to for future tenants.

There is nothing in the contract that means I cannot cancel when tenant is still in contract.

"The client has the right to cancel this contract within 14 days of commencement of marketing if this is not signed in our offices. The contract can be cancelled by informing our office in writing of your wish to cancel. Level of service can be changed with 2 months notice on the basis that our minimum fee has been met."

Comment

That clause only applies to the first 14 days of the contract and has therefore expired.

There will (hopefully) be an actual termination clause somewhere.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          That clause only applies to the first 14 days of the contract and has therefore expired.

There will (hopefully) be an actual termination clause somewhere.
          No that is it.

My interpretation (which may well be wrong), is that my level of service can be changed from rental collection to nothing with two months notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lokolo View Post
            My interpretation (which may well be wrong), is that my level of service can be changed from rental collection to nothing with two months notice.
            Is the final sentence you quoted part of the same clause as the first two sentences?

Depends what "on the basis that our minimum fee has been met" and "level of service" means.

Presumably, the answer lies elsewhere in the contract.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              Is the final sentence you quoted part of the same clause as the first two sentences?

Depends what "on the basis that our minimum fee has been met" and "level of service" means.

Presumably, the answer lies elsewhere in the contract.
              The text is verbatim. Nothing else in the contact about cancelling. Should have been something I brought up before signing.

The minimum fee isn't even stated in the contract. And the 3 levels of stated service; tenant find, rent collection, full management.

When the current tenant leaves I will be looking at my options, but I suspect it won't be for a while.

Comment

Well, an infinite contract is likely to be unenforceable, because in order for you to enter into a binding contract you have to know what you're committing to, and, from the sound of it, that's impossible,

If those are the three levels of service, you can switch between them, but not to "no service". But switching to "Tenant Find" might be interesting, as they'd have nothing to do...

I'd talk to the agent about what notice you need to give, or serve them six months notice and see what they do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Do i have an exit?
                  by Sydaton
                  Looks to me as though you read it correctly and you have no further liability after leaving after you give 2 months notice
                  14-02-2020, 06:48 AM
                • Do i have an exit?
                  by Jacksy
                  Hi all
                  Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
                  13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
                  by Jacksy
                  My main concern was they said we had to stay the full 36 months. Then they emailed asking us to sign on again for 6 or 12 months.

Then i saw the clause and i thought hang on that means we can give two month written notice.. i just wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly.
                  13-02-2020, 13:57 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  (Last message flagged as spam -- So here is a replicate with some added text sdfsdf sfsd af sdaf sdaf sdf sdf sd fsdafsdafsdafsadfsdafsadf)

Sounds like a reasonably valid break clause to me. Assuming your partner is a named tenant you BOTH need to give the notice (unlike a periodic tenancy)....
                  13-02-2020, 13:52 PM
                • Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
                  by 787greenliner
                  Hi there world of landlord zone...

Im in need of some desperate help!

long story short I'm a landlord I currently let two properties to long terms tenants, both using the same agency.

However in the last year the agency has given me countless headaches...
                  28-01-2020, 17:51 PM
                • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
                  by DPT57
                  I doubt it would be considered an unfair term, its pretty standard practice for agents to charge a fee if their client wants to end the contract early. However, I agree that where there has been incompetence this should be challenged by a landlord....
                  13-02-2020, 12:17 PM
                • Reply to Dodgy agency, complications leaving. advice needed!
                  by doobrey
                  Exit fee might be deemed an unfair term?

787greenliner, my personal view is that if the agent has been demonstrably ineffective / negligent you should be able to end your agreement without any exit charges and that is probably what I would be pushing for in that case.

You need...
                  12-02-2020, 23:13 PM
                • Letting agents want application form filled before checks
                  by Chaseleyreanne
                  I have asked to be put forward for a property with a letting agents.
                  They have given me my form to fill out which I did. I’ve now had an email asking for my guarantor form to also be filled in.

i explained that my guarantor won’t fill it in until the landlord agrees to carry out...
                  06-02-2020, 11:15 AM
                • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
                  by AndrewDod
                  Per your other thread it would be far better if your wealthy father was names as a co-tenant. But then you would not be able to get Housing "benefit"....
                  06-02-2020, 20:26 PM
                • Reply to Letting agents want application form filled before checks
                  by jpkeates
                  If you need a guarantor, you're already on the back foot as far as some agents and landlords are concerned.
                  For instance, I don't allow any tenants who would need a guarantee - because guarantees are very hard to enforce, not because of the tenants.

The landlord / agent has to pay...
                  06-02-2020, 14:04 PM
                Working...
                X