Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renegotiate Rate with LA

Hi,

I purchased my first BTL property just over 12 months ago and it has been let for 11 months. I currently pay the letting agent 10%+VAT for rent collection only. The tenant is happy in the property but doesn't want to pay a fee for another fixed term - and neither do I, so we've agreed it will just go into the monthly rolling periodic. The property is let for £925 a month.

However I feel after 12 months of having the same tenant I should renegotiate with the letting agent. They work they do is currently sending me the money each month alongside a monthly electronic statement.

The rate is competitive (it is a village area so there are limited agents), after getting quotes from three agents in the area. They weren't the cheapest, but not the most expensive. I have a 2 month cancellation notice period.

Am I being realistic? I was thinking at going in at 6%+VAT, but would agree to 7% or 8%.

Why have an agent at all if all they do is collect the rent? Have a look at your agreement, sometimes you can't cancel while the same tenant is still in the house.

Comment

Thanks Roy. The agreement also included tenant find, which on it's own would be the equivalent to 6 months commission (due to a large landlord set up fee..). As this is my first BTL property I thought I would do it this way to get into the swing of things.

I don't plan to for future tenants.

There is nothing in the contract that means I cannot cancel when tenant is still in contract.

"The client has the right to cancel this contract within 14 days of commencement of marketing if this is not signed in our offices. The contract can be cancelled by informing our office in writing of your wish to cancel. Level of service can be changed with 2 months notice on the basis that our minimum fee has been met."

Comment

That clause only applies to the first 14 days of the contract and has therefore expired.

There will (hopefully) be an actual termination clause somewhere.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          That clause only applies to the first 14 days of the contract and has therefore expired.

There will (hopefully) be an actual termination clause somewhere.
          No that is it.

My interpretation (which may well be wrong), is that my level of service can be changed from rental collection to nothing with two months notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lokolo View Post
            My interpretation (which may well be wrong), is that my level of service can be changed from rental collection to nothing with two months notice.
            Is the final sentence you quoted part of the same clause as the first two sentences?

Depends what "on the basis that our minimum fee has been met" and "level of service" means.

Presumably, the answer lies elsewhere in the contract.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              Is the final sentence you quoted part of the same clause as the first two sentences?

Depends what "on the basis that our minimum fee has been met" and "level of service" means.

Presumably, the answer lies elsewhere in the contract.
              The text is verbatim. Nothing else in the contact about cancelling. Should have been something I brought up before signing.

The minimum fee isn't even stated in the contract. And the 3 levels of stated service; tenant find, rent collection, full management.

When the current tenant leaves I will be looking at my options, but I suspect it won't be for a while.

Comment

Well, an infinite contract is likely to be unenforceable, because in order for you to enter into a binding contract you have to know what you're committing to, and, from the sound of it, that's impossible,

If those are the three levels of service, you can switch between them, but not to "no service". But switching to "Tenant Find" might be interesting, as they'd have nothing to do...

I'd talk to the agent about what notice you need to give, or serve them six months notice and see what they do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
                  by Tallulahpop
                  Hi all, I’ve joined this forum specifically to get some advice as I don’t know who else to ask 🤷‍♀️
                  I currently live in a rented house but the landlord is selling so we found another house through a letting agent and have signed a contract stating our tenancy starts on 3rd October....
                  24-09-2020, 11:16 AM
                • Reply to Advice
                  by Section20z
                  Too subtle, will use the winking emoji in future. Lol....
                  25-09-2020, 22:14 PM
                • Reply to Advice
                  by doobrey
                  I understood the inverted commas to mean "so-called" or "perceived".
                  25-09-2020, 20:27 PM
                • Reply to Advice
                  by jpucng62
                  Why is this a 'greedy scumbag landlord'? It is a tenant (who presumably gave notice), who is not moving out because their new build isn't ready on time (because the builder hasn't finished it - probably due to coronavirus) - about the only person not to blame is the landlord!...
                  25-09-2020, 20:02 PM
                • Reply to Landlord Renewal
                  by DPT57
                  Its the way that Agents make their money these days. They don't reveal the full facts to landlords about most things that are not in their interest because they are probably in survival mode. As above, if you're unhappy, do what the rest of us do and learn the business so that you can self-manage.
                  25-09-2020, 15:28 PM
                • Landlord Renewal
                  by Bubbles101222
                  Hi everyone, hoping someone can help please.
                  I have been letting my property out for around 3 years. I have a good relationship with my tenants.
                  I got an email from agent to say it’s time for renewal on 14th Oct 2020 & would I like to do 12 months, I replied yes, thinking I had no...
                  24-09-2020, 18:53 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  You've been charged a fee that you agreed to following an agreement that you made to renew the tenancy.
                  While it sounds like the agent didn't make you aware of all of your options, I don't think you have too many grounds to complain.

"I got an email from agent to say it’s time...
                  25-09-2020, 09:11 AM
                  by Stew
                  Pros and Cons to them signing the year AST, it gives you slightly more security that the place is let for a certain duration, the con is that on the month to month rolling it gives the tenant more flexibility that they can move on a whim. £120 for the security might not be so much of a bad deal but...
                  25-09-2020, 08:40 AM
                  by Beswick
                  Write a letter of complaint, not forgetting to mention the Redress Scheme.

Once you've exhausted the process, ditch the agent and self-manage. Use something like OpenRent to find your future tenants.
                  Either that, or find another agent.

Letting agents will only get the...
                  25-09-2020, 07:41 AM
                • Reply to Advice
                  by jpucng62
                  This is a very unfortunate situation and although there are legal rights and wrongs that doesn't always put the roof over your head! Suing anybody is likely to be longwinded and expensive - what you need is a pragmatic solution.

As I see it you have 2 options:

1. Look for a...
                  25-09-2020, 07:04 AM
                Working...
                X