London Landlord Fined record amount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Landlord Fined record amount

An interesting article appeared in today’s mortgage trade press, the result of which demonstrates that Councils are now going after rogue Landlords and in my honest opinion not before time.

A landlord has been hit with record financial penalties after he was found to have illegally converted his Maida Vale property into eight tiny flats and ignored instructions to undo the work.

Farook Owadally was ordered to pay a £90,000 fine, £400,000 confiscation order and £40,000 in costs by Southwark Crown Court.

He had divided what was a three-bedroom home into eight separate flats without bothering to get planning permission.

He was found to have been charging more than £1,000 a month in rent for each of them, which according to Westminster City Council were generally “simply a small room”.

Most did not meet the minimum size requirement of 37sqm for new one-bedroom flats, with one just 18sqm.

The council had issued enforcement notices dating back to January 2012 calling on Owadally to remove the flats built into the property, demolish a third floor extension, and return it to its former condition as a shop with a maisonette above.

However, Owadally made no attempts to engage with planning officers, which the council argued was so that he “could continue to profit over an extended period of time”.

He now has three months in order to pay the confiscation order, and six months to pay the costs and fines to the court.

Councillor Richard Beddoe, the Westminster City Council cabinet member for place shaping and planning, said this was “a straightforward case of the law catching up with an unscrupulous person”.

He continued: “Our planning teams aren’t just ticking boxes and filling in forms for fun – we have planning rules for a reason, to make sure housing is fit for purpose and safe

It appears that this is not the first time Farook Owadally has been fined

Just googled him and the following came up

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3330926.html

In 2016 he along with his wife Seema Khan and their structural engineer David Williams were fined over £90K for not getting planning, ignoring the Council requests and destroying the fabric of a listed building

It appears that Mr Owadally and his wife run an accountancy firm in Croydon.. How they continue to get business is beyond me
    A property-owning couple and an engineer have been ordered to pay more than £93,000 after destroying the "historic fabric" of a Grade II listed building. Westminster City Council successfully prosecuted husband and wife Mohammed Owadally and Seema Khan and their chartered structural engineer David Williams, after they stripped the roof, walls, floors and chimney breasts from

Comment

It is my fervent hope that those individuals involved along with other rogue landlords are noted by those lenders with whom the have obtained finance and to register such material facts on theHunter System, this would be one major way of stopping such persons from participating in property investment and obtaining such borrowing facilities.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Online Letting Agents - Full management
        markotsg
        Hello

I have been using high st agent for full management
        The fees are increasing and they dont do much to justify this, I have been thinking to either self manage or use Online agents as they are 40-50 % cheaper then High St ones.

Has anyone had any expiriences with...
        22-10-2019, 07:57 AM
      • Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
        DP10
        The estate agent lost all my keys to the back garden. I've since taken two quotes and paid a reputable locksmith to replace entirely new lock system (e.g high security grill locks on ground floor garden flat).

I never signed a contract with the estate agent but owe them 840 pounds for...
        15-10-2019, 10:35 AM
      • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
        DP10
        Thank you JPKeates. This is what I thought as well. In any case, it's irrelevant to the primary contention. I've decided to call the agents this morning and talk it through since my gut tells me they may preparing an notice of some kind and I'd like to avert further action. Many thanks.
        21-10-2019, 07:36 AM
      • Is letting agent negligent
        Elouise
        I currently rent a property in Northern Ireland. My previous tenants vacated my property due to none payment of rent. My agents went through the proper channels by serving notice. Unfortunately the previous tenant have taken some fixtures and fittings which belonged to me and damaged my property. The...
        09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
      • Reply to Is letting agent negligent
        DPT57
        That sounds like theft to me. You should report it to the police. I think you should also sack the agent who sounds like theyve been caught like a rabbit in the Tenant Fees Act headlights and in their confusion made the wrong call....
        20-10-2019, 08:28 AM
      • OpenRent vs. Visum
        John Duff
        Afternoon all.

I (hopefully) will have a property to let in the next month or so.

I listed it on Gumtree yesterday (as it's free). However, it has generated very little interest and I've only found it successful for finding migrant workers part subsidised by LHA in downtown...
        18-10-2019, 13:29 PM
      • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
        DPT57
        It has been for me. They offer you the option to do other things of course and I usually use their referencing but decline everything else. It hasn't been a hassle. The other thing worth mentioning is that it's relatively easy to get hold of them on the phone. I've had the odd complication with tenants...
        20-10-2019, 08:20 AM
        John Duff
        Good to know DPT57 but is the £29 option a truly no-strings advertise-only on Rightmove?
        18-10-2019, 19:22 PM
        DPT57
        I've used Openrent for the last few years for multiple properties. I agree that the 'rent now' option is a bid of an oddity and I don't know why they don't remove it from the site. I have to say though that in practice it has never been a problem for me as no-one has ever attempted that option with...
        18-10-2019, 16:18 PM
      • Letting Agents - Duty of Care
        kennyj52
        I'm wondering whether I have a case against my lettings agency in respect of the tenant they introduced to me who has turned out to have multiple outstanding CCJs, a prior eviction and is now 7 months in rent arrears. The lettings agency have been disappointing with the service they provided from the...
        09-12-2018, 22:35 PM
      Working...
      X