London Landlord Fined record amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Landlord Fined record amount

An interesting article appeared in today’s mortgage trade press, the result of which demonstrates that Councils are now going after rogue Landlords and in my honest opinion not before time.

A landlord has been hit with record financial penalties after he was found to have illegally converted his Maida Vale property into eight tiny flats and ignored instructions to undo the work.

Farook Owadally was ordered to pay a £90,000 fine, £400,000 confiscation order and £40,000 in costs by Southwark Crown Court.

He had divided what was a three-bedroom home into eight separate flats without bothering to get planning permission.

He was found to have been charging more than £1,000 a month in rent for each of them, which according to Westminster City Council were generally “simply a small room”.

Most did not meet the minimum size requirement of 37sqm for new one-bedroom flats, with one just 18sqm.

The council had issued enforcement notices dating back to January 2012 calling on Owadally to remove the flats built into the property, demolish a third floor extension, and return it to its former condition as a shop with a maisonette above.

However, Owadally made no attempts to engage with planning officers, which the council argued was so that he “could continue to profit over an extended period of time”.

He now has three months in order to pay the confiscation order, and six months to pay the costs and fines to the court.

Councillor Richard Beddoe, the Westminster City Council cabinet member for place shaping and planning, said this was “a straightforward case of the law catching up with an unscrupulous person”.

He continued: “Our planning teams aren’t just ticking boxes and filling in forms for fun – we have planning rules for a reason, to make sure housing is fit for purpose and safe

It appears that this is not the first time Farook Owadally has been fined

Just googled him and the following came up

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3330926.html

In 2016 he along with his wife Seema Khan and their structural engineer David Williams were fined over £90K for not getting planning, ignoring the Council requests and destroying the fabric of a listed building

It appears that Mr Owadally and his wife run an accountancy firm in Croydon.. How they continue to get business is beyond me
    A property-owning couple and an engineer have been ordered to pay more than £93,000 after destroying the "historic fabric" of a Grade II listed building. Westminster City Council successfully prosecuted husband and wife Mohammed Owadally and Seema Khan and their chartered structural engineer David Williams, after they stripped the roof, walls, floors and chimney breasts from

Comment

It is my fervent hope that those individuals involved along with other rogue landlords are noted by those lenders with whom the have obtained finance and to register such material facts on theHunter System, this would be one major way of stopping such persons from participating in property investment and obtaining such borrowing facilities.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
        by ringzer
        Hi,

I have been renting a 1 bedroom property in London for the last 14 years which has been pretty successful. For the first number of years I rented it myself (I had one guy in there for 5 years whch was great) but in the last 4-5 years I have been using agents. When using an agent the...
        21-01-2020, 23:32 PM
      • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
        by ringzer
        Thanks for your reply. I will upload the terms again tonight but they seem pretty comprehensive to me.

Option c is about the only avenue open to me if I renew though the agent. i.e. they should at least do something for their fee and would be able to comment on the fair market rent. ...
        22-01-2020, 13:00 PM
      • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
        by leaseholder64
        The images are two small to be able to read more than a small part.

If option (c) exists, your rents are below market price....
        22-01-2020, 09:58 AM
      • Rent Guarantee Issues
        by silverspire
        Another potential Agent nightmare. I have a rent gaurantee(yes stupid decision) for last couple of years.

my contract is with agent who then sublets to his tenant.

found that agent was not managing property and using contractors that were not qualified and therefore potentially...
        18-01-2020, 12:07 PM
      • Reply to Rent Guarantee Issues
        by theartfullodger
        OK So you are landlord in the agreement with the agent who is your tenant..... Please confirm agreement names you as landlord & agent as tenant.

Then the agent, as landlord, sublets to his tenants, the occupants.

You have no relationship or contract with the occupants:...
        21-01-2020, 14:43 PM
      • Reply to Rent Guarantee Issues
        by silverspire
        i meant there was nothing in the contract that was contentious.

my plan is to attend property on 24th, if tenant is there then inform them that the contract is terminated with agent, if they wish to stay then we can renew seperately. if they refuse then i initiate legal action to remove...
        21-01-2020, 14:19 PM
      • Reply to Renegotiate Rate with LA
        by jpkeates
        Well, an infinite contract is likely to be unenforceable, because in order for you to enter into a binding contract you have to know what you're committing to, and, from the sound of it, that's impossible,

If those are the three levels of service, you can switch between them, but not to...
        21-01-2020, 11:29 AM
      • Renegotiate Rate with LA
        by Lokolo
        Hi,

I purchased my first BTL property just over 12 months ago and it has been let for 11 months. I currently pay the letting agent 10%+VAT for rent collection only. The tenant is happy in the property but doesn't want to pay a fee for another fixed term - and neither do I, so we've agreed...
        20-01-2020, 11:56 AM
        by Lokolo
        The text is verbatim. Nothing else in the contact about cancelling. Should have been something I brought up before signing.

The minimum fee isn't even stated in the contract. And the 3 levels of stated service; tenant find, rent collection, full management.

When the current...
        21-01-2020, 10:55 AM
        by jpkeates
        Is the final sentence you quoted part of the same clause as the first two sentences?

Depends what "on the basis that our minimum fee has been met" and "level of service" means.

Presumably, the answer lies elsewhere in the contract....
        20-01-2020, 16:23 PM
      Working...
      X