Is the following a potential ruse to circumvent the No Fees legislation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the following a potential ruse to circumvent the No Fees legislation

I met someone whilst on holiday who was intending to come and study in London , he coming from the Slovak country with fair to middling English.

We discussed accommodation whilst he was staying in London and he said he would be doing the rounds of agents as he was to be joined at the end of September by a couple of friends. I cautioned him to beware of being taken for a ride given his innocence of what can happen with agents.

Today he wrote asking if the attached Terms of Business were correct? The Agreement is from a "Consultancy organisation" but was according to its web site linked to a Letting Agency which also had links to other agents!!! The agreement covered the investigation of suitable accommodation , either on a house or room to let basis throughout London and included the negotiation of the rental and acceptance. All of which would require a non returnable fee of £1150. Clearly I have cautioned him against rushing into such a formal arrangement and it set me wondering if other Forum members had come across any similar situations ostensibly designed to circumvent the NO Fees legislation by Tenants.

The "consultancy organisation" would seem to be proposing to do "things" in "the course of a business" in "response to instructions received from...a tenant who is seeking to find housing to rent."

Which makes them a letting agent and, therefore, subject to the Tenants Fees Act.
    So I think it's a prohibited payment.

Your friend should report the organisation to Trading Standards (and certainly not agree to it).

If you send me a Personal Message with the name of the organisation, I'll have a bit of dig around.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks JP will do PM

Comment

I've been told it probably breaks the Accommodation Agencies Act 1953.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Looking at section 1 of the Act, I don't think there is much doubt. I was pretty sure this was illegal by old legislation yesterday, but all my Google searches were being swamped by results about the Tenant Fees Act.

Comment

By way of an update, the person who contacted me was guided by some excellent advice preferred by JPKeates who PM’d me and distanced himself from progressing the matter, unfortunately he now appears to have got “caught” by another such operation where one of the business owners has recently been penalised by the authorities for failing to return deposit monies in another Lettings operation located in London. The terms of the agreement are almost identical to those of the original operation and given that they are requiring the deposit monies and one months rent before “concluding negotiations” with the rental agency strikes me with fear that this is an unlawful operation. I have again advised him to NOT to do this and to make direct contact with the actual agents. So it does seem that such practices are common in certain parts of London.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
              DP10
              The estate agent lost all my keys to the back garden. I've since taken two quotes and paid a reputable locksmith to replace entirely new lock system (e.g high security grill locks on ground floor garden flat).

I never signed a contract with the estate agent but owe them 840 pounds for...
              15-10-2019, 10:35 AM
            • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
              DP10
              Thank you JPKeates. This is what I thought as well. In any case, it's irrelevant to the primary contention. I've decided to call the agents this morning and talk it through since my gut tells me they may preparing an notice of some kind and I'd like to avert further action. Many thanks.
              21-10-2019, 07:36 AM
            • Is letting agent negligent
              Elouise
              I currently rent a property in Northern Ireland. My previous tenants vacated my property due to none payment of rent. My agents went through the proper channels by serving notice. Unfortunately the previous tenant have taken some fixtures and fittings which belonged to me and damaged my property. The...
              09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
            • Reply to Is letting agent negligent
              DPT57
              That sounds like theft to me. You should report it to the police. I think you should also sack the agent who sounds like theyve been caught like a rabbit in the Tenant Fees Act headlights and in their confusion made the wrong call....
              20-10-2019, 08:28 AM
            • OpenRent vs. Visum
              John Duff
              Afternoon all.

I (hopefully) will have a property to let in the next month or so.

I listed it on Gumtree yesterday (as it's free). However, it has generated very little interest and I've only found it successful for finding migrant workers part subsidised by LHA in downtown...
              18-10-2019, 13:29 PM
            • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
              DPT57
              It has been for me. They offer you the option to do other things of course and I usually use their referencing but decline everything else. It hasn't been a hassle. The other thing worth mentioning is that it's relatively easy to get hold of them on the phone. I've had the odd complication with tenants...
              20-10-2019, 08:20 AM
              John Duff
              Good to know DPT57 but is the £29 option a truly no-strings advertise-only on Rightmove?
              18-10-2019, 19:22 PM
              DPT57
              I've used Openrent for the last few years for multiple properties. I agree that the 'rent now' option is a bid of an oddity and I don't know why they don't remove it from the site. I have to say though that in practice it has never been a problem for me as no-one has ever attempted that option with...
              18-10-2019, 16:18 PM
            • Letting Agents - Duty of Care
              kennyj52
              I'm wondering whether I have a case against my lettings agency in respect of the tenant they introduced to me who has turned out to have multiple outstanding CCJs, a prior eviction and is now 7 months in rent arrears. The lettings agency have been disappointing with the service they provided from the...
              09-12-2018, 22:35 PM
            • Reply to Letting Agents - Duty of Care
              kennyj52
              Thanks all for the advice and here is an update on my case against the agents. By the way, the tenant moved out voluntarily back in April, 2 days before the bailiffs arrived to enforce the eviction, so technically, I guess, she was "evicted"?

Following the agents offer in June...
              17-10-2019, 21:15 PM
            Working...
            X