Rights of agent to specify termination conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rights of agent to specify termination conditions

We have been dealing with an agent who has taken over the business of a previous agent. The previous agent had taken over the business of another agent who had taken over from our original agent we. We do not have and have never seen or signed a contract with the latest agent. The tenants we have in our two properties were not “introduced” by the latest agent. The tenants have been in situ for over five years and are good long term tenants. We wish to change agents as we have been unhappy with the way the current agent has let the rents slip below market value and have now increased their management fees by approx 2%. They are asking for 1 months rental and 3 months notice on one property and 2 months notice and 1 months rental on the second property. This would amount to a total of £1050. Can the current agent legally require us to pay this without a current contract? We did have a signed agreement with the 3rd agent dated 2007 for our first property and one dated 2014 which has not been signed from the 3rd agent. Any advice pleas?

I think to some extent it depends what "has taken over" means.

If Virgin Ltd were to purchase Marks and Spencer, that does not mean M&S clients or suppliers could regard their contracts as void. On the other hand if it is a totally different company or agent I think you could be justified in saying that I really would not have contracted with you as you are useless, and I regard the contract as void. The contract is for them to supply a service (unlike say a contract to pay ground rent to a freeholder).

Even if it was the original agent, on what basis can they increase their fees?

I would take my chances, walk away and let them sue you. If they are holding your cash, then sue them. I hope you did not let the agents protect the deposit. What you must do now is approach the tenants and say that they should pay you directly from now on.

Comment

The contract you currently have is probably the one last sgned.

When asked by an agent to pay something ask: Where does it say that?

Comment

If the second contract was sent to you before the agent signed up the second tenant, and the agent found the second tenant and you paid them the fees referenced in the unsigned contract, that one might be valid as well.

If it was sent to you after the second tenant was in place, it's probably irrelevant.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord has changed Letting agency
          by doobrey
          'Need to' because you want to, or because they are asking you to?

A new tenancy is different from an ID check and some data gathering (which seem fairly harmless and may be well-intentioned). A new tenancy is not necessary. Only sign a new agreement if you want one....
          08-12-2021, 10:24 AM
        • Landlord has changed Letting agency
          by Yellow40
          Hi Looking for some help as for some reason this has my Anxiety through the roof, I have lived in the same private landlord in the same property for 7 years, They have now decided to go with a lettings agency who have contacted me today as i need to sign a new lease and complete an application form...
          07-12-2021, 14:50 PM
          by jpkeates
          Hi, again, welcome.

Just tell the agency that you do not wish to sign a new lease thank you very much, nor do you wish to complete an application form for your home.

My guess is that the application form is part of a rental guarantee insurance that the agent have offered the...
          07-12-2021, 18:02 PM
          by Yellow40
          Thank you so much for your reply, It seem odd to me, Appreciate your time....
          07-12-2021, 16:31 PM
          by theartfullodger
          That the agent or indeed landlord changes does not mean you need to sign or otherwise agree to a new tenancy agreement. Nor any changes to the tenancy agreement. Nor any application form, nor supply ID. (PS You might ask agent first for proof of ID: That'll surprise them, but clearly they think it's...
          07-12-2021, 16:20 PM
          by doobrey
          There are plenty of valid reasons why the landlord may have changed agent. I have done it myself. The outgoing agent could be closing down, putting their charges up. Or they may just have been judged not to be very good at their job.

The new agent is right (and obliged) to check that you...
          07-12-2021, 16:09 PM
        • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
          by meyou5ick
          Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
          29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
        • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
          by jpkeates
          It depends on the terms of your agreement with them.
          My agreement with my letting agent wouldn't allow them to do that in anticipation of me owing them money, only if I actually owe them money.
          05-12-2021, 10:49 AM
        • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
          by meyou5ick
          They have now withheld my rental payment (last one of this contract) because they think I won't pay them once I go private contract from next month. They surely cannot hold my rent just because they think I'll not pay after the end of tenancy if I plan to keep the tenants?...
          04-12-2021, 17:52 PM
        • Letting agent merged with another
          by Aly
          Hi all , I have been with my letting agent and had the same tenant for 9 years , this week I was notified that my old letting agent had merged basically sold out to a new letting agent , they gave no notice and no option to opt out from them , I said I didn't want to merge with them as we were going...
          03-12-2021, 21:02 PM
        Working...
        X