Gas safety check - should landlord be given paperwork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas safety check - should landlord be given paperwork.

Should my agent automatically send me a copy of the gas safety check? The HSE help site says the landlord should keep paperwork for two years, but doesn't say if it's enough for an agent to have it on file. Direct interpretation says I should have a copy.

Clearly it's good practice especially as I've paid for it, so I will be asking. But it'd be useful to know if they're not following the requirements - I know legally they have to forward it to the tenants.

Any clarification welcome.

What does your agreement with the letting agent say they have agreed to do?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

usually the engineer leaves a copy for the landlord and a copy for the tenant in the property. My old agent used to send me a pdf of the landlord's copy. I think a simple request might get you that.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        What does your agreement with the letting agent say they have agreed to do?
        The terms of business doesn't go into that level of detail. That's a significant oversight on our part - we should have asked for a breakdown of their service obligations.

I know they would send me copies if reqested but I was interested in the formal aspect after seeing the HSE website.

Comment

You need a copy in case you change agents, to make sure it was actually done, and to the correct appliances.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
            by Lots on
            I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
            06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
          • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
            by Fire Risk Assessor
            My first BTL I mistakenly used an agent to manage. 10% a month Plus VAT for doing nothing, when there is anything wrong they phone me to sort it out, they have lost high security keys (£40) and denied it. Tenant stayed for 4 years. Just moved out as I have sold the flat. They even changed the electricity...
            13-07-2020, 21:32 PM
          • How to choose letting agent
            by LMK
            Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
            I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
            But is there anything in particular that I should...
            10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
          • Reply to How to choose letting agent
            by Beswick
            If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
            11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
          • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
            by Lawcruncher
            Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
            11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
          • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
            by lamblord
            Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
            08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
            by jpucng62
            I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
            10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
            by Mrs Mug
            See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
            10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
            by Beswick
            Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
            10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
            by DPT57
            Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
            10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
          Working...
          X