From offer to moving in date - time frames.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From offer to moving in date - time frames.

This is history now since we turned down the offer, but I'd like some views on our agent's methods again;

We were contacted towards the end of July with an initial offer from a prospective tenant and a moving in day in early August, which would have left just 6 full business days to complete (counting Mon-Fri).

6 business days for the references, credit checks, check-in report and time for us to comment on it plus everything else. And this agent seems to have one or two days off most weeks where they're unavailable.

We got a brief overview of applicants situation, but no name or other details.

Madness?

I've had the distinct impression on two separate occasions now that I'm being deliberately rushed to make a decision.

At least in London this is pretty much normal. It is much harder on the tenants -- believe me....

The combination of prohibition of proper holding deposits, the fact that landlords can't really advertise until the last tenants are physically out (because a breach of contract by the tenant doesn't really matter in 2019 UK law), means that tenants don't really know where they stand and cannot plan (for schools, jobs, life etc) until days before.

Under these sorts of circumstances, and if I were a tenant, I would walk away if you took more than a day or two to make a decision -- 6 days is too long. They cannot afford to wait.

Comment

Having said that, I would never agree to an agent implanting a tenant on you without full details, you having met the tenants yourself, interviewed them (yourself), know their names, done your OWN research on them, seen their bank statements (yourself) their ID (yourself), contacted any previous landlords if necessary (yourself)

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        At least in London this is pretty much normal. It is much harder on the tenants -- believe me....
        But wouldn't the property check-in and inventory be completed before those six days? The same report(s) would be used for any future tenants. Granted, it equally shouldn't be done too far in advance as the property condition might change.

prohibition of proper holding deposits, the fact that landlords can't really advertise until the last tenants are physically out (because a breach of contract by the tenant doesn't really matter in 2019 UK law)
        Can you clarify the issue on holding deposits. I'm aware things have changed this summer but the agent recently talked about requesting a holding deposit to secure the property prior to referencing. How does that square?

Also what are the issues with advertising before the previous tenants vacate?

Thanks.

Comment

Andrew thinks one week's rent is too small as a holding deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            Andrew thinks one week's rent is too small as a holding deposit.
            Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X