Extent of claim against letting agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extent of claim against letting agent

I have had disputes with my letting agent over delayed payments of rent less management fees, poor service during period when the agent was without a branch manager, incorrect refunding of deposit to tenants, prolonged pressure to enter into another format of management agreement when I was quite happy to stay with the existing format and threats to withhold rental payments unless I signed 2 separate tenancy agreements, none of which had been agreed in advance.
    Can I claim via the Small Claims Court for “aggravation, distress and inconvenience” relating to all of the above?

No.

But you can and should claim for any losses.

Comment

AndrewDod - thanks for your response. My problem is that actual costs have been limited, but the hassle and the excessive amount of correspondence (90+ emails at the last count) to get the agent to see sense and eventually back down from his ridiculous positions has been extremely wearing. Surely, I must have some sort of comeback/compensation entitlement? Had I gone down The Property Ombudsman route, they award amounts in respect of aggravation, distress & inconvenience. The only problem is that they take so long (3-5 months) and their findings are not binding. Hence my decision to go down the Small Claims Court route.

Comment

You would be better off following the complaints process and using the small claims court to pursue any award the make that the agent doesn't pay.

[A]ggrevation, distress and inconvenience are not simple contractual losses, which is what the small claims process is designed for.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Google "damages for distress", and I think you will find they are almost impossible to obtain.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X