Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    While I agree with the logic and always protect my own deposits, many landlords wouldn't have a clue and rely on the agent to do everything for them.

Originally posted by Sali View Post
    I just need guidance how to get started please
    While asking questions is usually a sensible start point, one of the things the agent is meant to bring to the table is some expertise and experience.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    You give the deposit to the landlord to protect (with appropriate invoicing etc.).

If you are protecting deposits on the landlord's behalf (unless they absolutely insist you do that) I would never use your agency. It is entirtely inappropriate fotr agents tpo do the protecting -- guiding the landlord, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Sali
    started a topic New Agent

New Agent

We are going to start accepting deposits from tenants
    I wanted to know what the procedure would be
    e.g. Client Account, Ombudsman etc.

I just need guidance how to get started please

Thank you

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
    by ringzer
    Hi,

I have been renting a 1 bedroom property in London for the last 14 years which has been pretty successful. For the first number of years I rented it myself (I had one guy in there for 5 years whch was great) but in the last 4-5 years I have been using agents. When using an agent the...
    21-01-2020, 23:32 PM
  • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
    by ringzer
    I'm afraid I just coughed up the renewal fees. I did howver negotiate a further reduction in renewal fees. I had signed up to 7% + VAT for the first letting and 6% + VAT for renewals to reduce 1% each year.

However having spoken with other agents, a 2% step down and for only 1 renewal was...
    24-02-2020, 09:54 AM
  • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
    by Mbl
    Hi

i am curious to know how you resolved the issue. Did you get legal advice? I am in the same boat with a London agency looking for £1900 for a renewal which required little or no work on their behalf....
    23-02-2020, 09:58 AM
  • Letting agent deduction of rent from deposit
    by marymcgon
    I have recently moved out of a rented property. The tenancy renewed on June 10th last year, however in October I informed the letting agent that we would like to leave the property by February 10th due to a change in circumstances. They agreed that this was fine and we paid £595 for a re-advertising...
    20-02-2020, 16:59 PM
  • Reply to Letting agent deduction of rent from deposit
    by AndrewDod
    Well it sounds as if there was a semi-negotiation of sorts. These sorts of things really should be in writing, agreed, and accompanied by a deed of surrender. However since you have defaulted on about 4 months of an agreement, you are not in a great position to argue the exact details of that default...
    20-02-2020, 21:07 PM
    by marymcgon
    Yes - the tenancy runs from June 10th to June 10th. There was no negotiation process - they just asked for re-advertising fee. The move in date for the other tenants kept changing - despite their paperwork being completed by 31st January...
    20-02-2020, 20:52 PM
    by AndrewDod
    Presumably your tenancy started on the 10th of a month?
    When was the end of the fixed period following the 10th of June renewal?

In other words was this part of a negotiation to end the tenancy during a fixed period, i.e. in breach of an agreement? - in which case anything goes -...
    20-02-2020, 20:42 PM
  • Do i have an exit?
    by Jacksy
    Hi all
    Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
    13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
  • Reply to Do i have an exit?
    by Sydaton
    Looks to me as though you read it correctly and you have no further liability after leaving after you give 2 months notice
    14-02-2020, 06:48 AM
  • Reply to Do i have an exit?
    by Jacksy
    My main concern was they said we had to stay the full 36 months. Then they emailed asking us to sign on again for 6 or 12 months.

Then i saw the clause and i thought hang on that means we can give two month written notice.. i just wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly.
    13-02-2020, 13:57 PM
Working...
X