• Show
Clear All

New Agent

We are going to start accepting deposits from tenants
    I wanted to know what the procedure would be
    e.g. Client Account, Ombudsman etc.

I just need guidance how to get started please

Thank you

You give the deposit to the landlord to protect (with appropriate invoicing etc.).

If you are protecting deposits on the landlord's behalf (unless they absolutely insist you do that) I would never use your agency. It is entirtely inappropriate fotr agents tpo do the protecting -- guiding the landlord, yes.

Comment

While I agree with the logic and always protect my own deposits, many landlords wouldn't have a clue and rely on the agent to do everything for them.

Originally posted by Sali View Post
      I just need guidance how to get started please
      While asking questions is usually a sensible start point, one of the things the agent is meant to bring to the table is some expertise and experience.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice
        by Tallulahpop
        Hi all, I’ve joined this forum specifically to get some advice as I don’t know who else to ask 🤷‍♀️
        I currently live in a rented house but the landlord is selling so we found another house through a letting agent and have signed a contract stating our tenancy starts on 3rd October....
        24-09-2020, 11:16 AM
      • Reply to Advice
        by Section20z
        Too subtle, will use the winking emoji in future. Lol....
        25-09-2020, 22:14 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by doobrey
        I understood the inverted commas to mean "so-called" or "perceived".
        25-09-2020, 20:27 PM
      • Reply to Advice
        by jpucng62
        Why is this a 'greedy scumbag landlord'? It is a tenant (who presumably gave notice), who is not moving out because their new build isn't ready on time (because the builder hasn't finished it - probably due to coronavirus) - about the only person not to blame is the landlord!...
        25-09-2020, 20:02 PM
      • Reply to Landlord Renewal
        by DPT57
        Its the way that Agents make their money these days. They don't reveal the full facts to landlords about most things that are not in their interest because they are probably in survival mode. As above, if you're unhappy, do what the rest of us do and learn the business so that you can self-manage.
        25-09-2020, 15:28 PM
      • Landlord Renewal
        by Bubbles101222
        Hi everyone, hoping someone can help please.
        I have been letting my property out for around 3 years. I have a good relationship with my tenants.
        I got an email from agent to say it’s time for renewal on 14th Oct 2020 & would I like to do 12 months, I replied yes, thinking I had no...
        24-09-2020, 18:53 PM
        by jpkeates
        You've been charged a fee that you agreed to following an agreement that you made to renew the tenancy.
        While it sounds like the agent didn't make you aware of all of your options, I don't think you have too many grounds to complain.

"I got an email from agent to say it’s time...
        25-09-2020, 09:11 AM
        by Stew
        Pros and Cons to them signing the year AST, it gives you slightly more security that the place is let for a certain duration, the con is that on the month to month rolling it gives the tenant more flexibility that they can move on a whim. £120 for the security might not be so much of a bad deal but...
        25-09-2020, 08:40 AM
        by Beswick
        Write a letter of complaint, not forgetting to mention the Redress Scheme.

Once you've exhausted the process, ditch the agent and self-manage. Use something like OpenRent to find your future tenants.
        Either that, or find another agent.

Letting agents will only get the...
        25-09-2020, 07:41 AM
      • Reply to Advice
        by jpucng62
        This is a very unfortunate situation and although there are legal rights and wrongs that doesn't always put the roof over your head! Suing anybody is likely to be longwinded and expensive - what you need is a pragmatic solution.

As I see it you have 2 options:

1. Look for a...
        25-09-2020, 07:04 AM
      Working...
      X