Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking over property management from agent due to 35% increase in fees

Hi,

I would be interested to hear advice and experiences in taking over the management of a property from letting agent.

My tenants have been in my property for 4 years and have been managed by a letting agent for a set fee per month, in that 4 years I have done all safety checks and dealt with repairs, my agent has collected the rent and done an annual inspection.

I receive what I think is a fair market rent for the property so have not imposed any rent increases in the 4 years despite tax changes etc as I am taking a long term view on the investment and also want to ensure the rent is affordable for my tenants as they are long term.

Today I received an email from my agent advising of the new legislative changes and because of this their whole pricing structure is changing as of 1 June, resulting in a 35% increase in my monthly letting fees. This means I would be letting at a significant loss. The agents advice is to pass this on to the tenants.

I am am reluctant to do so as I think it is unfair on the tenants and also think it would push the rent above the market rates for our area and potentially lead to them moving which I want to avoid as they are good tenants. Because of this I am looking to take over the management and I am sure my tenants won’t mind as I have had to mediate a previous dispute between them and the agent.

Any advice would be welcome on this, I assume I’m not the only landlord in this position.

I wonder if agent might reconsider the increase, if you tell him you intend to sack him in view of the increased fees?

Comment

something's got to give somewhere. I've just got off the phone to one of my agents who has been in the business 30 years. In his professional opinion, the new bill will result in 30%+ of agents going out of business. That means a sizeable number will do as yours has done and attempt to recoup these monies from the landlords. If you sack them, they won't get the cash. If you keep them, you'll need to get the cash from the tenant. There's no way around it.

It's likely you could negotiate a compromise where you do increase the rent a certain amount and maybe ask the agent to lower their fee increase to balance it out. Otherwise, they'll lose you completely. You hold the bargaining chips here...

Comment

I’ve had nothing but trouble with agents. I manage one of my properties myself, have done for 2 years, long term tenant and not one problem so far. You seem to do most of the work yourself anyway so save yourself some money. Just read up on legal obligations. I registered with data protection, do my own legionella and fire risk assessments.

Comment

some people can't manage properties themselves. I've been overseas for the last 20 years. Managing properties yourself when you're over 3000 miles away is very tricky!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is letting agent negligent
            Elouise
            I currently rent a property in Northern Ireland. My previous tenants vacated my property due to none payment of rent. My agents went through the proper channels by serving notice. Unfortunately the previous tenant have taken some fixtures and fittings which belonged to me and damaged my property. The...
            09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
          • Reply to Is letting agent negligent
            leaseholder64
            The situation appears to be that they are re-marketing, which suggests to me that they have accepted a surrender and are now relying on the contract to pay rent until relet, rather than than on the fixed tenancy. If they wanted to claim the whole rent, they would have had to have refused the tenant's...
            11-10-2019, 09:53 AM
            jpkeates
            That's only true when the tenancy is periodic.
            In a fixed term, no obligation to mitigate exists - because the loss is not a contractual loss.
            11-10-2019, 09:40 AM
            leaseholder64
            The tenants doesn't appear to be responsible for rent, but rather for compensation for loss of rent. The difference is important, because the landlord must take reasonable steps to mitigate the loss of rent, i.e. they must try to relet as soon as reasonably possible in the market conditions.
            11-10-2019, 09:22 AM
            jpkeates
            I think what you have there are useless agents, rather than unfair tenancy laws.

Tenancies have starts and ends, there's no replacement or penalty fees. I don't understand how the property can be relet without the previous tenancy having ended, so somehow the previous tenancy must have...
            11-10-2019, 09:14 AM
            Elouise
            The tenants were served notice by the letting agent with consent from myself due to default on the rent. They were still under the tenancy agreement at this stage. The tenants relationship dissolved which meant the female left the property without notifying the agents that she no longer lived there...
            10-10-2019, 19:43 PM
            jpkeates
            The agents are working for you and should provide invoices and evidence of where your money is going.
            That's pretty basic, but it is normal practice for agents to pay for work that needs doing from the rent they collect.
            However, they need your consent (although you may have given that in...
            09-10-2019, 15:56 PM
          • Moving from Agents to Self Management
            RIchardRT
            I have 3 properties let via agents on a fully managed basis and all 3 have good long term tenants in situ with AST tenancies

However like many I am seeing my management costs rising and therefore looking to bring them into self management when the current AST terms come to an end.
            07-10-2019, 10:22 AM
          • Reply to Moving from Agents to Self Management
            leaseholder64
            You should take a course on landlord law.

Agents tend to have clauses that give them trail commission on tenants they introduced even if they no longer do any work in relation to them.

Tell the tenants to ignore section 21s from the agent; they agent cannot enforce them without...
            07-10-2019, 11:26 AM
          • Reply to Moving from Agents to Self Management
            jpkeates
            I have never seen a letting agent agreement that would allow the transfer to self management without a notice period (or a probably illegal fee).

The agent doesn't have to do any of those things if you stop doing business with them, you need to get this done before you cease having a working...
            07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
          Working...
          X