Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking over property management from agent due to 35% increase in fees

Hi,

I would be interested to hear advice and experiences in taking over the management of a property from letting agent.

My tenants have been in my property for 4 years and have been managed by a letting agent for a set fee per month, in that 4 years I have done all safety checks and dealt with repairs, my agent has collected the rent and done an annual inspection.

I receive what I think is a fair market rent for the property so have not imposed any rent increases in the 4 years despite tax changes etc as I am taking a long term view on the investment and also want to ensure the rent is affordable for my tenants as they are long term.

Today I received an email from my agent advising of the new legislative changes and because of this their whole pricing structure is changing as of 1 June, resulting in a 35% increase in my monthly letting fees. This means I would be letting at a significant loss. The agents advice is to pass this on to the tenants.

I am am reluctant to do so as I think it is unfair on the tenants and also think it would push the rent above the market rates for our area and potentially lead to them moving which I want to avoid as they are good tenants. Because of this I am looking to take over the management and I am sure my tenants won’t mind as I have had to mediate a previous dispute between them and the agent.

Any advice would be welcome on this, I assume I’m not the only landlord in this position.

I wonder if agent might reconsider the increase, if you tell him you intend to sack him in view of the increased fees?

Comment

something's got to give somewhere. I've just got off the phone to one of my agents who has been in the business 30 years. In his professional opinion, the new bill will result in 30%+ of agents going out of business. That means a sizeable number will do as yours has done and attempt to recoup these monies from the landlords. If you sack them, they won't get the cash. If you keep them, you'll need to get the cash from the tenant. There's no way around it.

It's likely you could negotiate a compromise where you do increase the rent a certain amount and maybe ask the agent to lower their fee increase to balance it out. Otherwise, they'll lose you completely. You hold the bargaining chips here...

Comment

I’ve had nothing but trouble with agents. I manage one of my properties myself, have done for 2 years, long term tenant and not one problem so far. You seem to do most of the work yourself anyway so save yourself some money. Just read up on legal obligations. I registered with data protection, do my own legionella and fire risk assessments.

Comment

some people can't manage properties themselves. I've been overseas for the last 20 years. Managing properties yourself when you're over 3000 miles away is very tricky!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting agent removed property
            Endlessnine3
            Not sure if this is in the right place

My bro got arrested and remanded in custody and within a week his letting agent emptied his room of all his property ie TV sofa clothes ect
            When I questioned him he said there had been a burglary and everything was taken he then said all the...
            20-05-2019, 21:45 PM
          • Reply to Letting agent removed property
            Jon66
            Pretty awful letting agents. Hope you get redress.
            10-07-2019, 19:56 PM
          • Lease Renewal Fee
            MaxStrong
            Hi,

I’m a novice landlord based in Scotland. My letting agent charges me 12.5% and every 6 months I had a flat rate lease renewal fee of £80.

With fairly recent changes to do away with Short Term Tenancies, I understand they cannot charge a lease renewal fee as they don’t...
            09-07-2019, 20:26 PM
          • Reply to Lease Renewal Fee
            jpkeates
            Have a look at the company accounts or google them to see if they make any finance based announcements.
            That'll give you some idea how profitable their business is.

Part of the issue with letting agents is that good ones are difficult to find and doing the job well is much more expensive...
            10-07-2019, 08:40 AM
          • Reply to Letting agent removed property
            Endlessnine3
            Last one got taken down because {Mod - name removed} didn't like that the address of his office was on it so here it is again

{Mod - Video link removed}
            09-07-2019, 17:45 PM
          • Jupix dashboard help
            Taiko
            Hi all,
            Hoping you could help me, anyone know how to find my Jupix 'passphrase'?

Its the unique URL that my branch uses to upload my properties to portals. I need it to link to a plugin for a new website and I can't find it anywhere
            Any help on where on my dashboard to find...
            09-07-2019, 10:35 AM
          • Reply to Jupix dashboard help
            ash72
            Contact the software company themselves, you would get the right answer from them rather than this forum.
            09-07-2019, 16:23 PM
          • Property Ombudsman
            M Clavell
            My disputes with my letting agent re payments and application of the TFA now seem likely to go to the next stage, I.e. the TPO or legal action. I would be interested to hear the experiences of landlords who’ve been down the TPO route, i.e. length of time for resolution (TPO quote 3-4 months), apparent...
            03-07-2019, 17:03 PM
          • Reply to Property Ombudsman
            M Clavell
            Tenants Fees Act and The Property Ombudsman.
            03-07-2019, 18:03 PM
          • Reply to Property Ombudsman
            Berlingogirl
            Well, I for one, don't know what TFA and TPO are
            03-07-2019, 17:41 PM
          Working...
          X