Has anyone successfully sued an estate agent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone successfully sued an estate agent?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-tenants-check

I was reading this article with shock and horror how an agent can get away with this

I am considering suing mine !! The costs involved are much lower but I’ve been treated so badly ill sue them for the £500 initial charges.
    When they found the tenant, they’d already agreed with him he could move into my property— he was already renting through another branch of their company. He’s on benefits ( not a problem to me) but:
    i was told any tenants on benefits would have to agree to direct payment of h/b —- this wasn’t done.
    Single man, but rented my 2 bed property. His h/b would only allow for a one bed property.
    His total benefits weren’t checked, no income was verified.
    His guarantor does not appear to live at the property he gave as his address, agents don’t seem to have taken employers details just a vague employment address ( X House) which I cannot locate.
    Only two months rent was paid in time. I was told the tenant apologised at first non payment and ironised it would be paid and never late again. Never paid in time after this and I’ve now learnt their accounts office has a long record of him being abusive on the phone, yelling at staff and making threats towards them.
    The list goes on.......
    Hundreds in rent arrears and agents couldn’t give a fig.

Comment

**** man that sounds terrible I hope you don't suffer too much loss. Please let us know how you get on

Comment

My agent moved someone in against my express written wishes (I was to vet anyone he thought suitable and I was to sign the AST - it was a find only agreement). No credit checks done. I found out when I went round to do repairs! Solicitor said I could sue if there was a loss (ie if they stopped paying rent) but I was incredibly lucky and they were good tenants....
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Well it sounds like you got very lucky Island Girl usually it's the other way around.
          I have heard some real horror stories from estate agents just look at the article above and this is Foxtons supposedly one of the best and most prestigious on the market

Comment

We can't name and comment on specific companies.

Large doesn't mean best, in my experience (not related to this specific agent, with whom I have no experience).
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting agent removed property
              Endlessnine3
              Not sure if this is in the right place

My bro got arrested and remanded in custody and within a week his letting agent emptied his room of all his property ie TV sofa clothes ect
              When I questioned him he said there had been a burglary and everything was taken he then said all the...
              20-05-2019, 21:45 PM
            • Reply to Letting agent removed property
              Jon66
              Pretty awful letting agents. Hope you get redress.
              10-07-2019, 19:56 PM
            • Lease Renewal Fee
              MaxStrong
              Hi,

I’m a novice landlord based in Scotland. My letting agent charges me 12.5% and every 6 months I had a flat rate lease renewal fee of £80.

With fairly recent changes to do away with Short Term Tenancies, I understand they cannot charge a lease renewal fee as they don’t...
              09-07-2019, 20:26 PM
            • Reply to Lease Renewal Fee
              jpkeates
              Have a look at the company accounts or google them to see if they make any finance based announcements.
              That'll give you some idea how profitable their business is.

Part of the issue with letting agents is that good ones are difficult to find and doing the job well is much more expensive...
              10-07-2019, 08:40 AM
            • Reply to Letting agent removed property
              Endlessnine3
              Last one got taken down because {Mod - name removed} didn't like that the address of his office was on it so here it is again

{Mod - Video link removed}
              09-07-2019, 17:45 PM
            • Jupix dashboard help
              Taiko
              Hi all,
              Hoping you could help me, anyone know how to find my Jupix 'passphrase'?

Its the unique URL that my branch uses to upload my properties to portals. I need it to link to a plugin for a new website and I can't find it anywhere
              Any help on where on my dashboard to find...
              09-07-2019, 10:35 AM
            • Reply to Jupix dashboard help
              ash72
              Contact the software company themselves, you would get the right answer from them rather than this forum.
              09-07-2019, 16:23 PM
            • Property Ombudsman
              M Clavell
              My disputes with my letting agent re payments and application of the TFA now seem likely to go to the next stage, I.e. the TPO or legal action. I would be interested to hear the experiences of landlords who’ve been down the TPO route, i.e. length of time for resolution (TPO quote 3-4 months), apparent...
              03-07-2019, 17:03 PM
            • Reply to Property Ombudsman
              M Clavell
              Tenants Fees Act and The Property Ombudsman.
              03-07-2019, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Property Ombudsman
              Berlingogirl
              Well, I for one, don't know what TFA and TPO are
              03-07-2019, 17:41 PM
            Working...
            X