Has anyone successfully sued an estate agent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone successfully sued an estate agent?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-tenants-check

I was reading this article with shock and horror how an agent can get away with this

I am considering suing mine !! The costs involved are much lower but I’ve been treated so badly ill sue them for the £500 initial charges.
    When they found the tenant, they’d already agreed with him he could move into my property— he was already renting through another branch of their company. He’s on benefits ( not a problem to me) but:
    i was told any tenants on benefits would have to agree to direct payment of h/b —- this wasn’t done.
    Single man, but rented my 2 bed property. His h/b would only allow for a one bed property.
    His total benefits weren’t checked, no income was verified.
    His guarantor does not appear to live at the property he gave as his address, agents don’t seem to have taken employers details just a vague employment address ( X House) which I cannot locate.
    Only two months rent was paid in time. I was told the tenant apologised at first non payment and ironised it would be paid and never late again. Never paid in time after this and I’ve now learnt their accounts office has a long record of him being abusive on the phone, yelling at staff and making threats towards them.
    The list goes on.......
    Hundreds in rent arrears and agents couldn’t give a fig.

Comment

**** man that sounds terrible I hope you don't suffer too much loss. Please let us know how you get on

Comment

My agent moved someone in against my express written wishes (I was to vet anyone he thought suitable and I was to sign the AST - it was a find only agreement). No credit checks done. I found out when I went round to do repairs! Solicitor said I could sue if there was a loss (ie if they stopped paying rent) but I was incredibly lucky and they were good tenants....
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Well it sounds like you got very lucky Island Girl usually it's the other way around.
          I have heard some real horror stories from estate agents just look at the article above and this is Foxtons supposedly one of the best and most prestigious on the market

Comment

We can't name and comment on specific companies.

Large doesn't mean best, in my experience (not related to this specific agent, with whom I have no experience).
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

My most recent ex-agent moved in a family without asking how many there were in the household. They said they didn't think it was relevant. They told me it was a couple when in fact it was a family of five. I haven't taken action against them (seeing what happens with deposit deductions first), but I think I would have every right to.

I have taken action of one sort or another against two agents in the past. One was a complaint to their regulating body, which proved sufficient. The other started with the same approach but that wasn't enough, so I took him to court. He was a no-show at the hearing and the judge ruled in my favour. So to answer the original question: Yes, I have.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X