Letting Agents & Spare keys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agents & Spare keys

My partner rents a property Surrey. It is managed by a letting agent. It is a new build apartment.
    I live in Covent Garden. He works nights so we don’t get much time together although he finishes work at 2am on a Friday so I could come down from London and wait for him. However, he does not have a spare key and they will not furnish him with one. He has repeatedly requested this and been told “they will contact the landlord” to no avail.
    His tenancy is up for renewal and they wanted to increase it quite a lot. He was/is fuming as there is a list of things they have failed to do, like fix broken fixtures and knock before entering the property.
    Now they are saying if he wants a spare key he must pay the increase. If he forgoes the spare key the rent will remain the same (yes this is true I have seen the email)
    my question is, are they allowed to blackmail him like this over a spare key?

This all seems a bit odd. Is there something special about the type of key that a duplicate cannot be cut by an ironmonger or at a key bar?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sole Agent Query
      annam222
      Hi all,

I signed terms and conditions with an estate agent that I would use them as the sole agent for 8 weeks. They don't seem to be getting as much interest as I had hoped (I have dropped the price).
      I know I break the terms if I use another estate agent so that is not an option-...
      03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
    • Reply to Sole Agent Query
      security2
      Only the terms and conditions that you signed will be able to tell you that. Have a read of them again and see.
      18-07-2019, 19:58 PM
    • Letting agent removed property
      Endlessnine3
      Not sure if this is in the right place

My bro got arrested and remanded in custody and within a week his letting agent emptied his room of all his property ie TV sofa clothes ect
      When I questioned him he said there had been a burglary and everything was taken he then said all the...
      20-05-2019, 21:45 PM
    • Reply to Letting agent removed property
      Jon66
      Pretty awful letting agents. Hope you get redress.
      10-07-2019, 19:56 PM
    • Lease Renewal Fee
      MaxStrong
      Hi,

I’m a novice landlord based in Scotland. My letting agent charges me 12.5% and every 6 months I had a flat rate lease renewal fee of £80.

With fairly recent changes to do away with Short Term Tenancies, I understand they cannot charge a lease renewal fee as they don’t...
      09-07-2019, 20:26 PM
    • Reply to Lease Renewal Fee
      jpkeates
      Have a look at the company accounts or google them to see if they make any finance based announcements.
      That'll give you some idea how profitable their business is.

Part of the issue with letting agents is that good ones are difficult to find and doing the job well is much more expensive...
      10-07-2019, 08:40 AM
    • Reply to Letting agent removed property
      Endlessnine3
      Last one got taken down because {Mod - name removed} didn't like that the address of his office was on it so here it is again

{Mod - Video link removed}
      09-07-2019, 17:45 PM
    • Jupix dashboard help
      Taiko
      Hi all,
      Hoping you could help me, anyone know how to find my Jupix 'passphrase'?

Its the unique URL that my branch uses to upload my properties to portals. I need it to link to a plugin for a new website and I can't find it anywhere
      Any help on where on my dashboard to find...
      09-07-2019, 10:35 AM
    • Reply to Jupix dashboard help
      ash72
      Contact the software company themselves, you would get the right answer from them rather than this forum.
      09-07-2019, 16:23 PM
    • Property Ombudsman
      M Clavell
      My disputes with my letting agent re payments and application of the TFA now seem likely to go to the next stage, I.e. the TPO or legal action. I would be interested to hear the experiences of landlords who’ve been down the TPO route, i.e. length of time for resolution (TPO quote 3-4 months), apparent...
      03-07-2019, 17:03 PM
    Working...
    X