Expat from the U.S./ What are my rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expat from the U.S./ What are my rights?

hello,

I recently moved over from the U.S. and I’m confused on the practices on renting flats here. Well I found a letting agent company online. When i met them in person, the properties I saw looked nice, so I paid a deposit, which they said will be kept in a secure place- i think it’s called a TDS?

When I arrived, the place was not as described, so I chose another one. I asked to view the property in person and the letting agent said that the flat has been renovated and these are new pictures. He then told me I should pay the deposit and the first months rent because places get rented fast. So I did.
    Now, I’m feeling uneasy, because I’m learning that this is not normal to do so here, yet I’m confused on why the letting agent would tell me that this is how it works!

I have not signed a Tenancy agreement and I told the agent last night that I have to view the property before moving in.
    If the place is not as described, what are my rights to get my money back? Am I entitled to any refund. Are there companies that will help me if the letting agent refuses?

There are two types of deposit - a holding deposit, which is intended to show you're serious and is intended to remove the property from other advertising (basically giving you first refusal) and a tenancy deposit which is security for any damage done while renting.

The second type is only normally paid when the tenancy begins (and is your money, so the landlord has to secure it in a government approved scheme by law - which is where someone like the TDS comes in).

Normally you wouldn't pay anything without viewing the actual place you plan to rent and seeing (and signing) a tenancy agreement.

In paces of high demand (London for example) there's often some corner cutting because if you don't want to cut corners, there's someone next in the queue who will.
    But if you see somewhere you like, you can almost certainly sign up for it immediately (there might be issues with getting credit checked, but that's usually quite quick as well).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is no legal requirement to a written agreement or signature for tenancies with an initial term of less than three years, The tenancy will be formed when you actually move in.

If a tenancy is formed, you may still be able to seek compensation for misrepresentation, but it will be almost impossible without something in writing. That would be under contract law. Breaking the tenancy agreement, and therefore the duty to pay rent, is not normally possible, just because it is not as described.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sole Agent Query
        annam222
        Hi all,

I signed terms and conditions with an estate agent that I would use them as the sole agent for 8 weeks. They don't seem to be getting as much interest as I had hoped (I have dropped the price).
        I know I break the terms if I use another estate agent so that is not an option-...
        03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
      • Reply to Sole Agent Query
        security2
        Only the terms and conditions that you signed will be able to tell you that. Have a read of them again and see.
        18-07-2019, 19:58 PM
      • Letting agent removed property
        Endlessnine3
        Not sure if this is in the right place

My bro got arrested and remanded in custody and within a week his letting agent emptied his room of all his property ie TV sofa clothes ect
        When I questioned him he said there had been a burglary and everything was taken he then said all the...
        20-05-2019, 21:45 PM
      • Reply to Letting agent removed property
        Jon66
        Pretty awful letting agents. Hope you get redress.
        10-07-2019, 19:56 PM
      • Lease Renewal Fee
        MaxStrong
        Hi,

I’m a novice landlord based in Scotland. My letting agent charges me 12.5% and every 6 months I had a flat rate lease renewal fee of £80.

With fairly recent changes to do away with Short Term Tenancies, I understand they cannot charge a lease renewal fee as they don’t...
        09-07-2019, 20:26 PM
      • Reply to Lease Renewal Fee
        jpkeates
        Have a look at the company accounts or google them to see if they make any finance based announcements.
        That'll give you some idea how profitable their business is.

Part of the issue with letting agents is that good ones are difficult to find and doing the job well is much more expensive...
        10-07-2019, 08:40 AM
      • Reply to Letting agent removed property
        Endlessnine3
        Last one got taken down because {Mod - name removed} didn't like that the address of his office was on it so here it is again

{Mod - Video link removed}
        09-07-2019, 17:45 PM
      • Jupix dashboard help
        Taiko
        Hi all,
        Hoping you could help me, anyone know how to find my Jupix 'passphrase'?

Its the unique URL that my branch uses to upload my properties to portals. I need it to link to a plugin for a new website and I can't find it anywhere
        Any help on where on my dashboard to find...
        09-07-2019, 10:35 AM
      • Reply to Jupix dashboard help
        ash72
        Contact the software company themselves, you would get the right answer from them rather than this forum.
        09-07-2019, 16:23 PM
      • Property Ombudsman
        M Clavell
        My disputes with my letting agent re payments and application of the TFA now seem likely to go to the next stage, I.e. the TPO or legal action. I would be interested to hear the experiences of landlords who’ve been down the TPO route, i.e. length of time for resolution (TPO quote 3-4 months), apparent...
        03-07-2019, 17:03 PM
      Working...
      X