Expat from the U.S./ What are my rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expat from the U.S./ What are my rights?

hello,

I recently moved over from the U.S. and I’m confused on the practices on renting flats here. Well I found a letting agent company online. When i met them in person, the properties I saw looked nice, so I paid a deposit, which they said will be kept in a secure place- i think it’s called a TDS?

When I arrived, the place was not as described, so I chose another one. I asked to view the property in person and the letting agent said that the flat has been renovated and these are new pictures. He then told me I should pay the deposit and the first months rent because places get rented fast. So I did.
    Now, I’m feeling uneasy, because I’m learning that this is not normal to do so here, yet I’m confused on why the letting agent would tell me that this is how it works!

I have not signed a Tenancy agreement and I told the agent last night that I have to view the property before moving in.
    If the place is not as described, what are my rights to get my money back? Am I entitled to any refund. Are there companies that will help me if the letting agent refuses?

There are two types of deposit - a holding deposit, which is intended to show you're serious and is intended to remove the property from other advertising (basically giving you first refusal) and a tenancy deposit which is security for any damage done while renting.

The second type is only normally paid when the tenancy begins (and is your money, so the landlord has to secure it in a government approved scheme by law - which is where someone like the TDS comes in).

Normally you wouldn't pay anything without viewing the actual place you plan to rent and seeing (and signing) a tenancy agreement.

In paces of high demand (London for example) there's often some corner cutting because if you don't want to cut corners, there's someone next in the queue who will.
    But if you see somewhere you like, you can almost certainly sign up for it immediately (there might be issues with getting credit checked, but that's usually quite quick as well).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is no legal requirement to a written agreement or signature for tenancies with an initial term of less than three years, The tenancy will be formed when you actually move in.

If a tenancy is formed, you may still be able to seek compensation for misrepresentation, but it will be almost impossible without something in writing. That would be under contract law. Breaking the tenancy agreement, and therefore the duty to pay rent, is not normally possible, just because it is not as described.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is letting agent negligent
        Elouise
        I currently rent a property in Northern Ireland. My previous tenants vacated my property due to none payment of rent. My agents went through the proper channels by serving notice. Unfortunately the previous tenant have taken some fixtures and fittings which belonged to me and damaged my property. The...
        09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
      • Reply to Is letting agent negligent
        leaseholder64
        The situation appears to be that they are re-marketing, which suggests to me that they have accepted a surrender and are now relying on the contract to pay rent until relet, rather than than on the fixed tenancy. If they wanted to claim the whole rent, they would have had to have refused the tenant's...
        11-10-2019, 09:53 AM
        jpkeates
        That's only true when the tenancy is periodic.
        In a fixed term, no obligation to mitigate exists - because the loss is not a contractual loss.
        11-10-2019, 09:40 AM
        leaseholder64
        The tenants doesn't appear to be responsible for rent, but rather for compensation for loss of rent. The difference is important, because the landlord must take reasonable steps to mitigate the loss of rent, i.e. they must try to relet as soon as reasonably possible in the market conditions.
        11-10-2019, 09:22 AM
        jpkeates
        I think what you have there are useless agents, rather than unfair tenancy laws.

Tenancies have starts and ends, there's no replacement or penalty fees. I don't understand how the property can be relet without the previous tenancy having ended, so somehow the previous tenancy must have...
        11-10-2019, 09:14 AM
        Elouise
        The tenants were served notice by the letting agent with consent from myself due to default on the rent. They were still under the tenancy agreement at this stage. The tenants relationship dissolved which meant the female left the property without notifying the agents that she no longer lived there...
        10-10-2019, 19:43 PM
        jpkeates
        The agents are working for you and should provide invoices and evidence of where your money is going.
        That's pretty basic, but it is normal practice for agents to pay for work that needs doing from the rent they collect.
        However, they need your consent (although you may have given that in...
        09-10-2019, 15:56 PM
      • Moving from Agents to Self Management
        RIchardRT
        I have 3 properties let via agents on a fully managed basis and all 3 have good long term tenants in situ with AST tenancies

However like many I am seeing my management costs rising and therefore looking to bring them into self management when the current AST terms come to an end.
        07-10-2019, 10:22 AM
      • Reply to Moving from Agents to Self Management
        leaseholder64
        You should take a course on landlord law.

Agents tend to have clauses that give them trail commission on tenants they introduced even if they no longer do any work in relation to them.

Tell the tenants to ignore section 21s from the agent; they agent cannot enforce them without...
        07-10-2019, 11:26 AM
      • Reply to Moving from Agents to Self Management
        jpkeates
        I have never seen a letting agent agreement that would allow the transfer to self management without a notice period (or a probably illegal fee).

The agent doesn't have to do any of those things if you stop doing business with them, you need to get this done before you cease having a working...
        07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
      Working...
      X