Renewal fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal fees

Probably been asked already but where does the landlord stand with agent emailing new T&C’s saying landlord will now be paying for renewal paperwork and all paperwork if there is a new tenant including extra for guarantor?

Depends on the contract, but they are probably in a position where they can pay another agent the same increased fees. Agents need to compensate for the Tenant Fees Act., so they are all going to have to put up prices to landlords. If you don't accept the increase, the agent will probably have to terminate the contract from their side, after which you won't find a new agent whose fees haven't gone up.

Comment

One party to a contract can't change the terms of a contract without the agreement of the other party, unless the contract contains a mechanism to allow that to happen (which would probably be unfair).

I'd decline their offer, but they might consider terminating the agreement if they can (although they'll be ending any other income from the agreement).
      Alternatively, tell them not to renew any current tenancy and let it go periodic and that you don't want them to allow a new tenant to join an existing tenancy as that's a terrible practice.

Build the new fees into any new tenancies, when you can agree a new deal with the agent.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X