Letting Agent Termination Without a Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent Termination Without a Contract

Hello all, I have searched the forums for the answer to my question but never quite seem to find the answer. Let me set the scene for you:

My dear old mum rents our family home to a lovely family that have rented the property for about 5 years now. In 2016 the ATS expired and we agreed to go forward on a periodic tenancy to avoid paying more letting fees. The letting agent takes about 3-4% of the rent every month for the management of the property even though the tenant pays my mum directly and will contact her directly if there is ever an issue. There is no involvement from the agent whatsoever except when a gas certificate might expire so they will send a reminder. The letting agent has recently been sold to another letting agent and I told my mum to request a copy of her contract to see the termination clause and if there was a chance to discontinue the contract if the company were ever sold. We have heard back from the letting agent today that they have no contract on file between them and my mum who also doesn't have a record, so we assume that one was never signed. As no contract was ever signed, how can we go about cancelling the contract and taking over the tenancy and stop paying the letting fees? To make things slightly sensitive, the letting agents are my mums old neighbours so she wants this to be handled amicably, even though they have sold now they may still work for the company in some capacity, but also wants to be firm and assured in her approach. What are your guys thoughts on ending a letting agent contract where no contract was ever signed and have you had experience in this?

I really appreciate your input, thank you

Alex

There's a contract of some kind because there's clearly some kind of arrangement and fees are being paid for that arrangement, but it's verbal. It's most likely bound by the terms and conditions that were contemporary with whatever it was that began the arrangement - which was probably finding and checking the tenant.

Most letting agent terms and conditions are pretty onerous, in that their business model is based on doing a small amount of work every now and again while maintaining a relatively small income stream as long as possible.

I'd start by writing (old fashioned letter in an envelope) thanking the agent for their service to date and terminating the contract giving three month's notice.
    And then see what happens (include an email address so you're not actually communicating by letter thereafter).

Hopefully, the letting agent will simply move on (saving you the trouble of googling "Foxtons case").
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How to choose letting agent
      by LMK
      Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
      I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
      But is there anything in particular that I should...
      10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
    • Reply to How to choose letting agent
      by Beswick
      If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
      11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
    • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
      by lamblord
      Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
      08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
    • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
      by Lawcruncher
      Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
      11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
      by jpucng62
      I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
      10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
      by Mrs Mug
      See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
      10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
      by Beswick
      Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
      10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
      by DPT57
      Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
      10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
    • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
      by jpkeates
      And the tenant's free day may not coincide with yours.

There are five hidden benefits to using an agent:
      1 - There are usually several people to answer the phone, make calls and arrange things at an agent, while if you DIY, there's you.
      2 - It's much easier to say no to things...
      09-07-2020, 10:04 AM
    • Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
      by Lots on
      I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
      06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
    Working...
    X