Agents refusing viewings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents refusing viewings

I saw a place advertised online that I wanted to view. The place that I buy, I will live in initially, but in 6 to 12 months I'm going to move overseas. So I'm looking for it to make sense for rental as well as somewhere that I actually don't mind living in now, and in the future if I return. Anyway, I saw this place that looks ideal online, It says that it is tenanted until July. I'm expecting to get a completion date soon for my place, which will fund this house (it's been 2 months already), so the timing should work. The estate agent says its only for investors, and won't let me view. Although the tenants have given notice, they are advertising it for rental. It seemed odd that they didn't mention it in the advert. Indeed, I thought the point of saying the tenancy was finishing in July, was so it would appeal to a larger market? Just curious if this is a tactic used by agents to gain additional letting fees - and if the landlord is likely to know they are refusing such viewings? Or if it is that the estate agents are just incompetent not mentioning such a restriction. Just curious if this is normal practice, and peoples thoughts?

Nowhere there do you say that it was advertised as being for sale?

If the current owner does not want to sell then they do not want to sell.
    Nothing to do with any tenants leaving or not.

You can't force someone to sell you something they don't want to sell.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Nukelad. Yes the place is being advertised for sale, with a tenancy ending in July. I wouldn't have asked for a viewing if it was a longer tenancy, Or simply didn't mention when the tenancy ended. Don't worry I wouldn't ask to view a house that wasn't for sale either.

Comment

Originally posted by zoid View Post
        and if the landlord is likely to know they are refusing such viewings?
        Saying it is for sale to investors only does not make sense. They could be up to something such as refusing all viewings and then telling the sellers the price needs to go down as they have had no offers. When the price goes down a buyer magically appears.

You could look up on the seller's address on the LR site and write and ask them if they only want to sell to investors.

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          Saying it is for sale to investors only does not make sense. They could be up to something such as refusing all viewings and then telling the sellers the price needs to go down as they have had no offers.
          It does seem odd, I would have thought that their one-off fees on a sale would be more than any ongoing letting fees.

I wonder if they (or a sister company) have their own rental property portfolio and are looking to add to it at lower than market price?
          ("Nobody's made an offer to buy your property, but we'll take it off your hands for xyz").

Comment

Thanks both, glad it's not just me that thought it was strange

Comment

Have you looked if the property is also listed for sale with a different agent?
              Sellers often advertise in more than one place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X