Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract with agency and bills

Hi,
    Can I ask my previous estate agency to give me the contract when I was with them? Is there any obligation for them to give the tenent a contract after this person is no longer with them? I have received a bill for electricity and my contract was saying that bills are included in the rent but I don't keep the contract and don't know how I can proof that this bill is not for me. Moreover, the bill is for 1 year and I have lived there just for two months? I think that the agency did this on purpose because I am not from the UK, this was my first house to rent here and probably thought that I won't stay for long and even wouldn't understand that there will be a bill for me. Can you give me any advice? I will contact them, but want to know first what I am able to do and decide how to act in this situation.
    Thank you.

Are you legally a consumer? If not I would say that there is no obligation If yes, I suppose there may be some right, but I'm not sure.

Considering the non-consumer case, any requirement would be symmetric; they could ask you for the contract if you could ask them.

Comment

Although certain information has to be provided before entering certain consumer contracts, I can't find any requirement to provide an additional copy.

Obviously, if you took legal action you could request details as part of the discovery process.

Comment

There are quite a lot of questions here, and it needs way more information to work through an answer.

AIUI under English (and I think in the devolved regions) law there is no 2 month rental contract in the standard market, unless it is a lodger contract or tourist or similar. A normal minimum contract would be 6 months. After 2 months you would be unlikely to be able to give notice.

Did you leave under normal circumstances, or did you walk away?

Rather than resorting to legal action, if relationships with the LL are OK I would ask if they are willing to supply you a copy, and if they do not do it gratis offer a payment to cover costs.

Unfortunately, English Letting law is being wrecked from this summer, as any charges to the T except rent, deposit and a couple of minor things will become offences. So they may not be able to accept such a fee with in the law.

It may be that whoever it is will accept a sworn declaration - Statement of Truth - as to what the status was.

I would suggest calling Shelter or perhaps the Citizens' Advice.
        Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

The bill doesn't come from the agent, it comes from the supplier and it is them you should be talking to because they're the people who will take you to court if you don't pay.
          How the electricity company have your details if you were renting with no liability to pay for electricity is something you should reasonably ask them.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X