Contract with agency and bills

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Contract with agency and bills

    Can I ask my previous estate agency to give me the contract when I was with them? Is there any obligation for them to give the tenent a contract after this person is no longer with them? I have received a bill for electricity and my contract was saying that bills are included in the rent but I don't keep the contract and don't know how I can proof that this bill is not for me. Moreover, the bill is for 1 year and I have lived there just for two months? I think that the agency did this on purpose because I am not from the UK, this was my first house to rent here and probably thought that I won't stay for long and even wouldn't understand that there will be a bill for me. Can you give me any advice? I will contact them, but want to know first what I am able to do and decide how to act in this situation.
    Thank you.

    Are you legally a consumer? If not I would say that there is no obligation If yes, I suppose there may be some right, but I'm not sure.

    Considering the non-consumer case, any requirement would be symmetric; they could ask you for the contract if you could ask them.


      Although certain information has to be provided before entering certain consumer contracts, I can't find any requirement to provide an additional copy.

      Obviously, if you took legal action you could request details as part of the discovery process.


        There are quite a lot of questions here, and it needs way more information to work through an answer.

        AIUI under English (and I think in the devolved regions) law there is no 2 month rental contract in the standard market, unless it is a lodger contract or tourist or similar. A normal minimum contract would be 6 months. After 2 months you would be unlikely to be able to give notice.

        Did you leave under normal circumstances, or did you walk away?

        Rather than resorting to legal action, if relationships with the LL are OK I would ask if they are willing to supply you a copy, and if they do not do it gratis offer a payment to cover costs.

        Unfortunately, English Letting law is being wrecked from this summer, as any charges to the T except rent, deposit and a couple of minor things will become offences. So they may not be able to accept such a fee with in the law.

        It may be that whoever it is will accept a sworn declaration - Statement of Truth - as to what the status was.

        I would suggest calling Shelter or perhaps the Citizens' Advice.
        Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.


          The bill doesn't come from the agent, it comes from the supplier and it is them you should be talking to because they're the people who will take you to court if you don't pay.
          How the electricity company have your details if you were renting with no liability to pay for electricity is something you should reasonably ask them.

          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          Latest Activity


          • RTM Changing Management company
            The RTM are in the process of changing management company following a vote by leaseholders, at present we are on hold regards signing the new contract, because the old company want to TUPE over the development manager who has an appalling sickness record, if fact the DM is still sick at present, and...
            12-08-2019, 15:40 PM
          • Reply to RTM Changing Management company
            Nobody is bound by the RICS code, although parts of it that use the word "must" are generally restatements of statute law which people are bound by. The RICS code has a similar status to The Highway Code.

            RTMs are not bound by the ARHM code unless something in the lease requires...
            15-08-2019, 14:56 PM
          • Reply to RTM Changing Management company
            just need these questions answered:

            In the matter of change of managing agents which varies changes , and reduces the availability of an visiting on-site development by 50%

            Is the RTMCo bound by ARHM or RICS Code of Code of Practice, if yes

            Would the removal...
            15-08-2019, 14:36 PM
          • Has anyone successfully sued an estate agent?

            I was reading this article with shock and horror how an agent can get away with this
            12-06-2019, 13:41 PM
          • Reply to Has anyone successfully sued an estate agent?
            My most recent ex-agent moved in a family without asking how many there were in the household. They said they didn't think it was relevant. They told me it was a couple when in fact it was a family of five. I haven't taken action against them (seeing what happens with deposit deductions first), but...
            14-08-2019, 20:27 PM
          • New Agent
            We are going to start accepting deposits from tenants
            I wanted to know what the procedure would be
            e.g. Client Account, Ombudsman etc.

            I just need guidance how to get started please

            Thank you...
            14-08-2019, 10:02 AM
          • Reply to New Agent
            While I agree with the logic and always protect my own deposits, many landlords wouldn't have a clue and rely on the agent to do everything for them.

            While asking questions is usually a sensible start point, one of the things the agent is meant to bring to the table is some expertise...
            14-08-2019, 11:10 AM
          • Reply to New Agent
            You give the deposit to the landlord to protect (with appropriate invoicing etc.).

            If you are protecting deposits on the landlord's behalf (unless they absolutely insist you do that) I would never use your agency. It is entirtely inappropriate fotr agents tpo do the protecting -- guiding...
            14-08-2019, 10:34 AM
          • Reply to RTM Changing Management company
            If it is not too late, please edit out the name of the "management company", otherwise a moderator, e.g. Moderator2 will need to do it.

            The company mentioned is normally associated with retirement developments; is that the case here?

            I think you also need to step...
            13-08-2019, 16:40 PM
          • Reply to RTM Changing Management company
            Your confused so am I , In January 2019 we had a residents meeting to find the consensus of opinion on changing Management Company's , the result was lets get rid of Firstport and tender for a new company, Three company's applied and gave presentations after the presentation the leaseholders were asked...
            13-08-2019, 16:35 PM