Letting agent renewal fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agent renewal fees

An agent found me a tenant 2 years ago and I instructed them on a find tenant only basis that also included to draft up a 12 month AST, do an inventory, right to rent checks, and reference/credit check. I requested deposit to be paid to me for me to lodge with DPS and I was to collect rent and manage my flat directly.

My tenant was only in the UK for work for a year but he got extended so I was happy to let him stay after the fixed term and we agreed to let it roll into a periodic for the flexibility. Nothing from the agents was heard after the 12 months until now.

My tenant gave notice and I notified agents to re-market it.

The agent has sent me a couple of invoices for renewal of the term where I allowed it to go periodic. Their terms of business do allow them to charge an extension fee for a 'hold over' or fixed term extension this but I never signed it, my dad did unfortunately without properly understanding the contract.

I questioned this with them citing the practice legally unfair as per Foxtons but they've said "The practice of charging renewals is not illegal and is common practice in the market. The Foxtons case highlights two areas, namely the terms being legible and the fees being notified in advance of instruction. Our terms were recreated post Foxtons/OFT and fall into line with the ruling".

I am very confused with this, my understanding is the Foxtons case said it didn't allow agents to continue to demand renewal commission from a landlord if tenants stay on beyond the initial fixed term even if agency played no further part in arranging or managing the tenancy.

My issue is the agent did the work to let the flat for me which I paid them for two years ago. They did no work for me ever since so why should they be paid? Interestingly my tenant emailed me to ask for advice because they've charged him a renewal fee too.

We're not psychic. Without sight of the exact terms in question, no sensible response can be given. By that, I mean the agency agreement you have with the letting agent, and any agreement the tenant may have agreed to. Chances are for the tenant, that's only the tenancy agreement.

The fee the agent want to charge the tenant I would think is almost certainly unfair under consumer laws, as the agent is wanting money for not having done any work, for the tenant exercising their legal right to security of tenure granted by parliament.

In the landlord's case, it would depend on the terms, how prominent the clause was highlighted, whether the exact fee was displayed by the agent as required by law at the time etc.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

If they've not let it yet disinstruct and go elsewhere, they may drop the invoices to keep the business so'd be worth the gamble but make sure you sign new terms without renewal charges.
      <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sole Agent Query
        annam222
        Hi all,

I signed terms and conditions with an estate agent that I would use them as the sole agent for 8 weeks. They don't seem to be getting as much interest as I had hoped (I have dropped the price).
        I know I break the terms if I use another estate agent so that is not an option-...
        03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
      • Reply to Sole Agent Query
        security2
        Only the terms and conditions that you signed will be able to tell you that. Have a read of them again and see.
        18-07-2019, 19:58 PM
      • Letting agent removed property
        Endlessnine3
        Not sure if this is in the right place

My bro got arrested and remanded in custody and within a week his letting agent emptied his room of all his property ie TV sofa clothes ect
        When I questioned him he said there had been a burglary and everything was taken he then said all the...
        20-05-2019, 21:45 PM
      • Reply to Letting agent removed property
        Jon66
        Pretty awful letting agents. Hope you get redress.
        10-07-2019, 19:56 PM
      • Lease Renewal Fee
        MaxStrong
        Hi,

I’m a novice landlord based in Scotland. My letting agent charges me 12.5% and every 6 months I had a flat rate lease renewal fee of £80.

With fairly recent changes to do away with Short Term Tenancies, I understand they cannot charge a lease renewal fee as they don’t...
        09-07-2019, 20:26 PM
      • Reply to Lease Renewal Fee
        jpkeates
        Have a look at the company accounts or google them to see if they make any finance based announcements.
        That'll give you some idea how profitable their business is.

Part of the issue with letting agents is that good ones are difficult to find and doing the job well is much more expensive...
        10-07-2019, 08:40 AM
      • Reply to Letting agent removed property
        Endlessnine3
        Last one got taken down because {Mod - name removed} didn't like that the address of his office was on it so here it is again

{Mod - Video link removed}
        09-07-2019, 17:45 PM
      • Jupix dashboard help
        Taiko
        Hi all,
        Hoping you could help me, anyone know how to find my Jupix 'passphrase'?

Its the unique URL that my branch uses to upload my properties to portals. I need it to link to a plugin for a new website and I can't find it anywhere
        Any help on where on my dashboard to find...
        09-07-2019, 10:35 AM
      • Reply to Jupix dashboard help
        ash72
        Contact the software company themselves, you would get the right answer from them rather than this forum.
        09-07-2019, 16:23 PM
      • Property Ombudsman
        M Clavell
        My disputes with my letting agent re payments and application of the TFA now seem likely to go to the next stage, I.e. the TPO or legal action. I would be interested to hear the experiences of landlords who’ve been down the TPO route, i.e. length of time for resolution (TPO quote 3-4 months), apparent...
        03-07-2019, 17:03 PM
      Working...
      X