Advice needed on Letting Agent hidden "change of terms"

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Advice needed on Letting Agent hidden "change of terms"

    Hi, Help needed please for a naive newbie, I have let my late fathers house {through an agent } for the past 3 years - the first tenant was golden -however they left to buy a place of there own. The next tenants have been "somewhat" hit and miss {paying weekly not monthly, missing payments then catching up}.
    I was emailed by the LA the weekend that the tenant has lost there job {hence my missing payments - almost 5 weeks now}. The LA advised the tenant was contacting Housing to claim and they were trying to get a nominal rent from the guarantor. I asked the LA for a call to discuss {im aware of the ceiling for housing benefit payments and the implications of the bedroom tax as property is 3 bedroom}. I had no call back so called today {my first call was fielded to the answer phone - 2nd call I did 141 and they answered!}. I asked several questions about the situation but prominently why ive had no rent when I pay them an extra 10% to cover situations like this. I was told I only had the gold package??? and needed to pay 12% for the platinum to qualify. I had never heard of either term, - I was advised to pay 6% if the tenant was known/reliable etc as I wouldnt have the right to claim or 10% for new tenants unknown or for my peace of mind {so I was always sure of getting my rent}. I have bills of my own having given up work {twin daughters} and now have my bank stopping by DD as I cant cover the costs. The LA have just offered and apology but not much help. They arent members of anything {as far as I can find}. Citizens advice have informed TS and said I need a solicitor {like I can afford that}. Im lost can anyone advise. Please x

    You need to "take back control".

    Get copies of all paperwork, instruct tenant to pay you direct, then fire agent (that order). Then evict tenant unless they promptly resolve all issues.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


    Latest Activity


    • Was my Letting agent negligent?
      The things I’ve found they’ve done wrong :
      1. Didn’t verify tenants benefits income.
      2. May not have checked guarantor as I cannot find him at address given.
      3. Before I signed up told me any tenant on benefits would have to agree to direct payment to them. This wasn’t done...
      20-06-2019, 07:35 AM
    • Reply to Was my Letting agent negligent?
      Firstly, sorry to hear of your troubles. It's never easy when this stuff goes wrong.

      There's a lot you could have done to prevent this. Firstly, using an agent means that you now have to manage the agent, instead of the tenant directly. You need to know what they should do and when and...
      24-06-2019, 09:19 AM
    • Property Photos - Who Owns Copyright?
      I used an agent to let my flat earlier this year but have now decided to do it myself.

      Can I use the images that they originally took of the property in my advert? Are they their copyright or do I own them as I paid for their full service and it's my property?

      03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
    • Reply to Property Photos - Who Owns Copyright?
      I shoot photography commercially so I can confirm that your first sentence is correct.

      I can also confirm that under no circumstances would I ever agree to the second sentence and have never been compelled to by anyone who has hired me to do so. While I retain copyright, the contract does...
      24-06-2019, 09:09 AM
    • Reply to Property Photos - Who Owns Copyright?
      Ah yes, Lawcruncher, on your point I did write ‘I think’.

      However after copyright expires I do know it is in the public domain so thinking about it my point must be wrong so thank you for highlighting this.

      Of course, copyright can be inherited like any other asset.
      23-06-2019, 21:36 PM
    • Increase in letting agent fees - can they do this?
      Hi Everyone

      Just a quick question. I use a letting agent based in Wales and received a letter notifying me of an increase in fees as follows

      ’We put special emphasis on ensuring that you and your property are kept up-to-date and fully compliant, and this means it now costs...
      23-06-2019, 17:13 PM
    • Reply to Increase in letting agent fees - can they do this?
      This was asked only a few days ago and there are links to further similar threads in that thread. A lot of this stems from agents trying to regain the revenue streams they lost through the Tenant Fees Act, without suffering adverse cash flow in the short term.
      23-06-2019, 19:15 PM
    • Definition of "Vacating"
      Hi, brand new to this site; I have a flat that I have rented via a letting agent for 6 years but I am now retired and have got the time (and newly acquired DIY skills) to look after the flat myself. But in the "Termination" section of my contract with the letting agent it states "The...
      15-06-2019, 10:46 AM
    • Reply to Definition of "Vacating"
      Hi Jon; yes, on several occasions they have failed to undertake the basic task of managing their contractors properly in the undertaking of property maintenance tasks. The most recent case is when, on 16 April, I asked them to send a handy man around to my flat to fix the lino floor in the kitchen,...
      23-06-2019, 15:56 PM
    • Reply to Property Photos - Who Owns Copyright?
      That's a new one on me....
      23-06-2019, 14:58 PM