Letting agent ‘decorated’ my flat without consulting me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malgovert View Post
    Is the contract not legally binding? Surely if one party or the other is in breach of contract it can be pursued - if only as a last resort - through the courts? Or - conversely - can I put myself in breach of contract and be assured that there is no possibility of legal action against me?
    A contract is legally binding (provided it's not invalid in some way, which is unlikely to be the case here).

But breaching a contract isn't illegal.
    It simply puts the other party in the position of being able to either claim compensation or to ask a court to compel performance.

In this case, your agent has not complied with the terms of the agreement and is (presumably) in breach.
    You would be entitled to compensation for any loss arising as compelling the agent to comply is not a possibility

You've incurred a cost of £1100 and gained a newly decorated something, which would presumably have been necessary at some point.
    So the loss is probably somewhere below £1100, and should certainly include anything the agent earned as a consequence of their breach.

If you breach the contract in some way, the agent would be entitled to ask for compensation or to compel performance in the same basic manner.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Can we have confirmation that there is no provision in the agency agreement to the effect that the agent is authorised to do whatever is required to comply with the landlord's obligatons?

Comment

Well would you believe it, it seems it was all a simple mistake. This turns out to be the last stage of a previous job agreed with the building management to be funded by the buildings insurance, and which had been erroneously charged to me during my usual property manager’s absence. The money will be refunded.

so here’s a question- this means the other work is still to be done, and I have a contractor who has been in touch with the tenant and is ready to do the job during normal working hours, which to me seems reasonable. If the tenant is not happy with this and wants the work done outside normal working hours or at the weekend, is he / she in a position to insist that I get my guy to agree to do it, or find someone who will do it, or pass it over to the agent to take care of it? Or, since my guy’s proposal is not unreasonable, am I in a position to say that I am providing someone who can do the job on reasonable terms, and that if the tenant wants the work done he / she will have to make themselves available? Thanks.

Comment

The tenant can't insist on the work being done outside normal hours.
          You can't make the tenant make themselves available, either.

So a compromise is required.
          You can offer to attend in the tenant's absence (or for your agent to do that for you, assuming they will).
          Or you can wait until the tenant can be available.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The tenant only has to make the property available, not themselves.

Comment

Thanks very much! I am on good terms with the tenant so will make contact to discuss.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pro Rated Overpayment
                bobby276
                Hi all,

I will be moving into a place I'm renting with an agency on Friday. Since the agent takes payment on the first day of the month, I have to pay a pro-rated amount for 27, 28. 29, & 30. The rent PCM is £1,500.

My maths shows that this should be 4/30*1500 = £200....
                23-09-2019, 15:21 PM
              • Reply to Pro Rated Overpayment
                bobby276
                Fair enough - in which case, I'll leave it alone. Thanks for the advice.
                22-10-2019, 16:11 PM
                jpkeates
                Nothing, but I think you'd be wasting your time for £14 and the court would probably split any costs, so you'd be out of pocket....
                22-10-2019, 15:32 PM
              • Charge for lock replacement
                bobby276
                Hi all,

Within a few weeks of moving into a new property, I was having issues with the front door locks where the key would just not open the door (it is definitely the correct key). It would take maybe 10-15 mins of jiggling the key to finally get the door open. This didn't occur too often...
                22-10-2019, 14:04 PM
              • Reply to Charge for lock replacement
                bobby276
                Correct, the keys have some sort of identification on them.

It seems to me there was an issue with the lock in the first place. The thing is, I was able to insert the key and turn it which allowed me to unlock the door - without removing the key, the key got stuck and the key can be seen...
                22-10-2019, 14:57 PM
              • Reply to Charge for lock replacement
                leaseholder64
                I think this is more a case of bureaucracy than bullying and I think it might be better, if you are on a probationary tenancy, to not make waves.

Are these Yale type keys (pin tumbler)? I'm not sure how a Yale key that actually fitted the key way could get stuck in the lock, even if it...
                22-10-2019, 14:20 PM
                bobby276
                What stops me from paying and then claiming it back later saying it violates the terms of the contract?
                22-10-2019, 13:53 PM
              • Online Letting Agents experiences
                markotsg
                Hello

I have been using high st agent for full management
                The fees are increasing and they dont do much to justify this, I have been thinking to either self manage or use Online agents as they are 40-50 % cheaper then High St ones.

Has anyone had any expiriences with...
                22-10-2019, 10:13 AM
              • Reply to Online Letting Agents experiences
                Harwood
                Agree with this.
                Alternatively i have manged to find a "tame" local handyman on whom i can rely when the inevitable problem occurs. This has worked for 15 years for me, but you really do need to trust the individual. I have an arrangement now where the tenant contacts the handyman directly...
                22-10-2019, 12:53 PM
              • Reply to Online Letting Agents experiences
                John Duff
                Yes by all means use an online agent. However, if you live far away from a property you really need a local agent / property manager to take care of things. I often hear complaints from far-away landlords who don't seem to grasp that their distance is not their tenants' problem.

I don't...
                22-10-2019, 12:41 PM
              Working...
              X