Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agents ripping off landlord client

I am currently using {Mod Letting Agents name removed}
    Recently, they have done a Check Out Inspection for a tenant leaving and highlighted a number of jobs that needed doing.
    They have not given me any of the job price quotes and thus not had any confirmation from me to have them completed, yet have sent me an invoice amounting up to hundreds of pounds.

Am I able to push back under any of the following reasons?

1. I have strictly told them in writing in the past to always run job quotes by me for my acceptance.
    2. The jobs were not priority and not asked to be done by the new tenant moving in
    3. All the jobs had never been picked up in any of {Mod Letting Agents name removed} inspection reports despite some of them existing prior to the old tenant living there, and existing during their tenancy.
    4. For one of the more expensive jobs, they have confirmed in writing that they never even got a quote from the contractor and simply told them to do the invoice and expect me to foot the bill.

Instead, {Mod Letting Agents name removed} have sent me this response from my contract?

“To organise, and where necessary to supervise, minor routine repairs, each to a value not exceeding £100.00. The landlord hereby agrees that the Agent will retain a balance of £100 in the landlords account towards such routine repairs.

Point 4.3.

“To inform and take the landlords instructions on repairs of a major or more serious nature over £100 excepting where emergency repairs are necessary immediately to prevent an escalation of damage to the property or to the health and safety of the tenant.”

Am I still liable for charges?

From the forum rules - https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forum-rules

10. Naming and shaming individuals or organisations on a public forum can give aggrieved posters a sense of satisfaction, but this can come at a high price. We have had instances of Members being sued for libel for posts they made about certain organisations. UK libel laws are very onerous and organisations are often willing to pursue anyone through the courts to protect their hard won reputations. Even if you are confident about your facts, a libel action must be defended and the legal costs involved are substantial – even if you win. If you lose, you could have to pay your own legal costs, those of the applicant, any damages awarded, and any costs for related parties such as those of LandlordZONE – as a forum Member you have agreed to indemnify LandlordZONE against any and all legal costs resulting from your actions on these forums.

I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Write to the manager/director/owner of the agency pointing out all of the above. In your shoes my starting position would be that I’m not paying for any of the work.

If they simply deduct the costs from your next rent payment then make a formal complaint and follow it through to their redress scheme.

If they are looking at the long term they should be trying to keep you happy and retaining your business. They’re in the wrong here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I rent out my leasehold flat?
        bonnyb1
        Hello,

I am having lots of problems in extending a lease on my flat at the moment (66 years left) so thinking of renting it out for a year while I go through the section 42/tribunal route but not sure if I am allowed.

I am going to to put some of the wording I have found within...
        11-10-2018, 16:35 PM
      • Reply to Can I rent out my leasehold flat?
        bonnyb1
        thank you for your reply
        12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
      • estate agents phone system query
        HP mum
        Very bizarre question here.
        I normally withhold my mobile number - especially when calling estate agents as I don't want them constantly then hounding me.
        That was exactly the case when I rang one estate agent recently - the one that we all love to hate!
        Yet, the receptionist said...
        02-10-2018, 13:37 PM
      • Reply to estate agents phone system query
        HP mum
        A receptionist would not know the sound of my voice nor would they have any 'normal' way of knowing who I am. My mobile contract allows me to withhold my number. Their system clearly has had something done to it!! Interesting?
        12-10-2018, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to Can I rent out my leasehold flat?
        leaseholder64
        Clause (3) is confusing, as seems to be a covenant by the lessor in a part of the lease defining a lessee's covenant.

Providing the rent is high enough (which it will be unless the rest of the lease is weird), you can sub-let to a single family, for the next 59 years. After that, you...
        11-10-2018, 17:46 PM
      • Fees
        Dino
        Would I be charged a fee if I cancel a letting agent contract before they find me a tennant, For viewings and advertising the property?

The contract was signed online and states I have 14 days to cancel.
        Thanks
        Dino...
        11-10-2018, 10:02 AM
      • Reply to Fees
        jpkeates
        It depends what the terms of the contract are.
        If they've done some work for you, they're likely to want to be paid something.
        11-10-2018, 13:20 PM
      • How long is a contract valid?
        37eeyore
        I rent out two properties and use the same agent for both. I started renting property A in 2010 and am on the third set of tenants. The current tenants have been in there for five years. Property B has only had one set of tenants who have been in for four years. The tenants in property B were due to...
        10-10-2018, 13:16 PM
      • Reply to How long is a contract valid?
        37eeyore
        I had looked at the contract again and came to the same conclusion. I don't think it would cover property B but that doesn't really matter now.

Part 4 of the termination clause seems to say that even if I cancel, I still have to pay if the tenant stays in the property.

The...
        11-10-2018, 10:02 AM
      • Reply to How long is a contract valid?
        jpkeates
        As a general principle, an agent is not allowed to make money from their principle's assets or property.
        The interest or commission would automatically be the principles.
        Whether or not it's a pain doesn't change that (the sensible thing to do would be to keep the money in a non-interest...
        11-10-2018, 09:48 AM
      Working...
      X