Being a management agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a management agent

So I have 3 properties in my own name and am close to completing on a property in my new limited company. I want the new company to not only own and rent the new property but also manage the other 3 properties at a market rate of 10%. As the company will own and rent a property it will be a valid business so will be allowed (As apposed to just setting up a company to manage which would be seen as tax avoidance).

Having looked into it I believe as a management agent I will need to sign up to one of the two redress schemes... Is there anything else I need to do?

There are, at least, moves towards requiring client money accounts.

The schemes will require you to have documented complaints procedures.

Comment

Thanks, I did see that which is why it will be property management not rent collection, so dealing with tenants phone calls, sorting out repairs and doing things like reminders for gas safety certificate. A complaints procedure should be pretty easy to put together.

Comment

Originally posted by catdog1121 View Post
        I want the new company to not only own and rent the new property but also manage the other 3 properties at a market rate of 10%. As the company will own and rent a property it will be a valid business so will be allowed (As apposed to just setting up a company to manage which would be seen as tax avoidance).
        That's probably not going to attract too much attention, but it's cutting it quite fine.

The "agent" will have one customer, who is the owner of the business.
        Even if the business is carried out at a market rate, it's hardly a commercial arrangement.
        And the only reason I can see for the arrangement is to introduce a new expense allowable against your personal tax.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have checked and it is ok as the company will own and rent out a property it is acting as a viable business in its own right, if the only business was to manage the directors properties then yes that would not be allowed.

It can very easily be argued the reason for the arrangement is to be part of the redress scheme and rather than having to apply twice, once as myself and then again as the company... This will become even more apparent if as suspected in the November budget they announce that all tenants must have redress via a scheme so those landlords self managing will have to register with a redress scheme. The amount charged is actually below the local market rate. It can also be argued it gives a more professional look to my personal rentals by having a management agent.

Yes it switches the tax liability from me to the company but the only reason I am buying my next property in the company is to do that exact thing, it is acceptable providing the business is a valid business and that no more than market rate is charged.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• rip off contractor send out by letting agent.
            Accidental_LI_LL
            Hopefully I can keep a long & boring story short....

My tenants reported an issue with a leaking washing machine while I was away on holiday, the letting agent got in contact and asked if I was happy to approve one of their contractors being sent out - at this point I agreed making...
            12-12-2018, 17:50 PM
          • Reply to rip off contractor send out by letting agent.
            eagle2
            I would make a formal complaint to the agent. If they are using one of their approved contractors, they should be able to obtain further details of the work carried out by the contractor. You can ask the agent what steps they took to verify that the invoice was valid before authorising it for payment....
            13-12-2018, 20:58 PM
            jpkeates
            Who is charging you for the work?

If it's the letting agent charging you having paid the plumber already, dispute the invoice from the letting agent.
            I appreciate that they've probably deducted the cost from the rent that they pass on, but that's not the end of the issue.
            The...
            13-12-2018, 09:56 AM
            Jon66
            Manage the property yourself. We do this with ours. Providing you have your own tradesmen on whom you can call, being 2000 miles away isn't a problem.
            13-12-2018, 00:52 AM
            Accidental_LI_LL
            My gut feeling is that this could have happened with pretty much every letting agent? So better the devil you know! I'd also prefer to deal with this as an individual issue with the current agent, but I've got literally no knowledge of any best practices for letting agents managing 3rd part contr...
            12-12-2018, 19:35 PM
            JK0
            I think I'd be finding a new letting agent in future.
            12-12-2018, 18:02 PM
          • Changing agents and paperwork
            johnson13
            Hi all,

I had some properties with an agency who sold out to another company. I was approached by two of the staff of the old company who have set up their own business in competition.

Because I've had a good relationship with the two of them and I have no obligation to the...
            11-12-2018, 08:33 AM
          • Reply to Changing agents and paperwork
            theartfullodger
            Think they'll magically find the documents went missing before they took over.

You may have serious problems trying to evict tenant without paperwork, In your shoes I'd offer tenant a new tenancy, plus all paperwork, at a slightly reduced rent (so they are keen to sign...): So everything...
            12-12-2018, 15:50 PM
          • Reply to Changing agents and paperwork
            Welshie
            Ask them if they have reported the data breach to the ICO. Under new GDPR, they are supposed to notify the ICO within 72 hours.

Since it's your data they've lost, tell them you'll also report the incident to the ICO. They'll probably magically reappear.
            12-12-2018, 14:35 PM
          • Estate agent not giving rent contracts
            Nicolas10
            He seems to be something of a strange estate agent because he is refusing to give us the rental contracts for two different sets of tenants he found for us for two different properties. One lot moved in during February 2018 and the other lot during June 2018. I can't understand his motives for being...
            05-11-2018, 19:44 PM
          Working...
          X