Terminate agent contract owing to rent arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminate agent contract owing to rent arrears

The letting agent has been always been late in settling rents inspite of several calls a day. We are owed 3 months rent. There is no sign of the arrears being settled. The termination notice demands that i serve 2 months notice and if I keep the tenant i will have to pay 2500. I will lose 5 months rent. As per other reviews on his website, he has done exactly the same with other tenants. How do i get rid of this agent?

Read your Agency Contract carefully and take expert Legal advice. Join NLA/RLA?

Comment

I'd instruct the tenant to pay the rent to you directly and (if the contract requires it) then remit the fees to the agent while they serve notice.
      They won't be able to enforce the £2500 fee through the courts as it's a penalty charge.

Your issue will be a) any deposit the agent has and b) they'll have all of the documentation. But the situation isn't tenable, and, form the sounds of it, they could go bump at any point, so you won't be worse off.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Seconded (assuming the agent has had the rent and it’s not the tenant at fault, if probably still sack the agent even if this is the case).

Any agent in this position is either running a scam (openly, it appears) or on their way to insolvency (risking your money).

I’d contact the tenant first and explain the situation. Then tell them you are taking over directly and they are to pay and deal with you from now on.

Then I’d visit the agent’s offices, tell they are to have no more involvement with the property and demand the keys and paperwork. If they believe they are owed anything by you they can put it writing and you’ll seek legal advice.

Comment

Thanks the advise. I will also involve a solicitor so that there are no loose ends.

Comment

Is the tenant paying the rent and the agent isn’t passing it on? Or is the tenant in arrears and not paying?

Comment

The tenant is upto date with the rents. The agent is not passing it on. He has been getting away with this behaviour for a long time as per the local solicitors.

Comment

If they are a company or LLP, also set a monitor on them at beta.companieshouse.gov.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gokuldass View Post
                  The tenant is upto date with the rents. The agent is not passing it on. He has been getting away with this behaviour for a long time as per the local solicitors.
                  In which case you need to act quickly to get rid of the agent and get your money.

A visit in person is a lot more effective than any other means of communication.

I’d also start checking that the deposit has been registered (if they did this for you). As I said previously they’re either in financial trouble or they’re planning to do a runner with your (and everyone else’s) money. Either way I’d say there’s a good chance the deposit isn’t protected properly or the actual funds are missing.

Comment

I served a notice through solicitor. The agent denied owing me rents and offered to take us to courts to make us pay the fee.

Comment

Unfortunately I think you will find they disappear before you get a chance to take them to court.

Contact the tenant directly and explain everything. Take over management yourself and hope the tenant takes pity on you (IE. doesn’t start looking into whether the deposit was registered correctly/at all and whether all the correct paperwork was issued prior to move in).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Agent vs Open Rent
                        by Beswick
                        I've used it twice, no complaints from me. However, I haven't used it since 2019 so things might have changed.

From memory, when the prospective tenant clicks the 'Rent Now' button, you have to click to accept them as a tenant to start the process.

Both times, when I told...
                        29-06-2022, 11:51 AM
                      • Agent vs Open Rent
                        by annam222
                        Hello all,
                        I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.
                        Tenants who have been renting my one bed flat for the past three years have just given notice that they will be moving out. I have used a local agent on a ‘let & rent collection’ basis which has worked well but they...
                        20-06-2022, 20:07 PM
                        by annam222
                        Has anyone used the ‘rent now’ package and find it good? Can’t decide whether I should do this package or just advertising (ultimate) then pay for everything else on top after finding tenants I am happy with.
                        29-06-2022, 07:22 AM
                        by annam222
                        boletus Thank you, that is what I am
                        a little worried about- the flat is in London so expect there could be a lot of interest but possibly a high majority of them not be the tenants I am looking for.
                        I would prefer to take my time talking to potential tenants and arranging viewings rather...
                        28-06-2022, 20:28 PM
                        by boletus
                        I wouldn't use 'Rent Now'.

If I advertise a property today I'll get over 50 enquiries, the majority will be unsuitable.
                        Most of those will want to rent now.
                        Many will offer to rent sight unseen.
                        Some will offer 6 month's rent upfront sight unseen.

Advertising...
                        28-06-2022, 09:55 AM
                        by annam222
                        Thank you everyone so much. I have the advert ready to go live but will wait until Thursday/Friday to publish it. I am keen to use Open Rent for referencing but as suggested will also follow up each myself. Does anyone have a view on whether the Open Rent £29 'Ultimate Advertising' or £49 'Rent Now'...
                        27-06-2022, 20:09 PM
                      • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
                        by Lawcruncher
                        Conveyancers fall into two broad categories:

Good ones

Not so good ones

Those in either category can be solicitors, licensed conveyancers or chartered legal executives. Each of those do roughly the same amount of training and have studied the law needed...
                        27-06-2022, 19:14 PM
                      • Newbie needing serious advice!
                        by steeveyboy64
                        Hi All. I am very new to all of this and need some guidance. I am at the point where I am about to purchase a holiday letting chalet in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately the banana skin has been delivered in that the 3rd party solicitors are indicating that I can NOT use a 3rd party agent platform to advertised...
                        26-06-2022, 14:15 PM
                        by SouthernDave
                        Lawcruncher gives good advice.
                        interesting question, is your ‘solicitor’ actually a solicitor? Or are they some rubbish high street conveyancer?...
                        27-06-2022, 18:11 PM
                        by nukecad
                        "No 3rd party letting agenrs approved" is not the same thing as 'no 3rd party agents allowed'.

So it depends on what you sign up to.whether you can use an "unapproved" 3rd party letting service or not.
                        27-06-2022, 17:09 PM
                      Working...
                      X