IRPM membership - con or benefit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRPM membership - con or benefit

IRPM - I am thinking of joining but there is almost no information regarding the study commitment. I have been advised by IRPM I must pay £129 membership, £75 Admin, £380 for the Membership exam, £195 for the Membership exam workshop. There is no syllabus, no study materials, no advice on the time commitment that may be necessary or to advise the areas that will be tested. I have 10 years experience in the industry both management and accounting and I would like to take this step but £800 for entry to a membership without any information seems a bit steep. Does anyone have any advice? Is this as unreasonable as it sounds?

What is IRPM?

Comment

|What benefits of an IPRM qualification confer on OP?
      Are the stated costs worth it?

2 Qs OP could have determined before seeking advice of this Forum.

Comment

Comment

The IRPM is the Institute for Residential Property Management. "2 Qs OP could have determined before seeking advice of this Forum." Sadly this doesn't enlighten at all. What is the study commitment? What knowledge of what areas are examined in the exam? Where can I get a "syllabus" so that I can revise and make certain my investment pays off. What benefits have you derived?

Comment

Apologies I forgot to mention none of this information is available on the website ... thank you for the link. Nor is this available by phone.

Comment

I've never heard of the organisation, and (consequently) don't see any advantage in being a member.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant with 3 kids
                abc777uu
                Hi,
                My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
                the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
                recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
                by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
                Thanks...
                16-10-2019, 14:05 PM
              • Reply to Tenant with 3 kids
                leaseholder64
                Moderator2 : this needs merging with https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...nt-with-3-kids...
                16-10-2019, 15:04 PM
              • Reply to Tenant with 3 kids
                leaseholder64
                Assuming two adults, they currently have 2.5 equivalent adults. Assuming this is three bedrooms and one reception and the reception room is of non-trivial size, they could be allowed up to 5 adult equivalents.

If the second bedroom is at least 50 square feet and the reception room at least...
                16-10-2019, 15:00 PM
              • Agent fee increase
                armour
                Hi All,
                I have been letting 2 properties with the same agency for 10 years and have always paid 9% on one and 10% on the other (plus VAT) for its services.
                Around 3 months ago, without warning, the agency began to charge 12.5% on the one which I had been paying 10% on. This happened at around...
                15-10-2019, 14:29 PM
              • Reply to Agent fee increase
                theartfullodger
                So ask agent to kindly provide copies of what you signed up to......
                15-10-2019, 16:40 PM
                jpkeates
                They can't raise the fee without you agreeing it.
                But you may have agreed to it in the original contract.

Ask them on what basis they've charged you an increased fee you haven't agreed to.
                15-10-2019, 15:20 PM
                armour
                It is a long time since I signed those contracts. I don't think I have them anymore.
                Surely though they cant just raise the fees as they see fit without even telling me?...
                15-10-2019, 15:03 PM
                ash72
                Read your contract with the letting agent and see the terms and conditions. I would imagine more agents will now be increasing fees to landlords, since they can't charge tenants.
                15-10-2019, 14:33 PM
              • Is letting agent negligent
                Elouise
                I currently rent a property in Northern Ireland. My previous tenants vacated my property due to none payment of rent. My agents went through the proper channels by serving notice. Unfortunately the previous tenant have taken some fixtures and fittings which belonged to me and damaged my property. The...
                09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
              • Reply to Is letting agent negligent
                leaseholder64
                The situation appears to be that they are re-marketing, which suggests to me that they have accepted a surrender and are now relying on the contract to pay rent until relet, rather than than on the fixed tenancy. If they wanted to claim the whole rent, they would have had to have refused the tenant's...
                11-10-2019, 09:53 AM
              Working...
              X