Problem Letting Agent

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Letting Agent

Hello Everybody

In need of serious help

I'm having serious issues with a letting agent.

This current Director took over the letting agency in Feb 2017 and started having major issues now.

I was not notified a previous tenant with rent arrears had left the property in Novemeber...the deposit has not been returned and it has been 3 weeks I'm still chasing this with him. His claim is the deposit was paid to the previous Ltd company which he is trying to get back.

He also moved another tenant in december which was unknown to me (and him ? Claims his business partner hadnt told him). I only found out when the February 2018 arrears came about. Also letter of arrears from Council tax.

I have since asked for the property to be returned back to me by 16th March

He first promised to collect the arrears 2 weeks ago. Friday just gone I contacted him and he says the tenant came to pay but he was not in the office. Today he promised to have them in my account. I assume he has had these hence the promise. Still no rent arrears.

it took a week for him to arrange property inspection. Which I finally did and he blamed dirty carpets on previous tenant.

Is it worth my time, effort and money taking action through solicitors for neglect ?

What is the best way around this ?

When you say 'returned to me on the 16th of March' do you mean you want the tenant out by then? If so the agent doesn't have the power to do so If the tenant has a valid AST.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Never let agents protect deposits. The landlord is responsible for the deposit at all times.

Where did the agent place the deposit? Get on to them and try to get something in writing of where they paid it then think on taking legal action.
      Agree with Wanna - if new tenant has a 6 month AST you will not be getting property back quickly.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Latest Activity