X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertha
    started a topic Agents obligation.

Agents obligation.

I am supposed to have my property on full management ,but things are not been dealt with by the agent ,gas checks,repairs reported,not chasing tenant for rent arrears,pet in property,dog poo all over the joint yard.I have now dealt with repairs,gas myself and instructed tenants to ring me over any issues,which they are happy to do as each complained about the agent.Question at what point does an agent on full management walk away from dealing with rent arrears ,when they put the tenant in ,and simply said evict and sat back for 4 months .Full management is it worth it,Ive taken over because things were not getting done or checked.Do you have reason to complain ,One example for 3 months I was told a tenant had been asked for gas check,why did I ring once to the tenant with appointment day and check done.I just wonder how many landlords do check that their agents are carrying out the required checks etc.

• jpkeates
    replied
    I check that my agent is doing what they're meant to.

Not that actively (because over time I've come to trust their own diary system).
    But I know when each property Gas Safety and EPC expire and check they're charging me for them at the right time.
    I know which properties they're meant to be inspecting and roughly when, so I check that I see the reports.
    I know which properties/tenants I'm never going to hear from and which I would expect to be in touch more frequently.

Agents are a bit expensive when nothing happens, but worth the money when three lots of central heating "break" in October.

The only thing I don't let anyone else do is manage tenant's deposits.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• OpenRent vs. Visum
    John Duff
    Afternoon all.

I (hopefully) will have a property to let in the next month or so.

I listed it on Gumtree yesterday (as it's free). However, it has generated very little interest and I've only found it successful for finding migrant workers part subsidised by LHA in downtown...
    18-10-2019, 13:29 PM
  • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
    John Duff
    Good to know DPT57 but is the £29 option a truly no-strings advertise-only on Rightmove?
    18-10-2019, 19:22 PM
  • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
    DPT57
    I've used Openrent for the last few years for multiple properties. I agree that the 'rent now' option is a bid of an oddity and I don't know why they don't remove it from the site. I have to say though that in practice it has never been a problem for me as no-one has ever attempted that option with...
    18-10-2019, 16:18 PM
  • Letting Agents - Duty of Care
    kennyj52
    I'm wondering whether I have a case against my lettings agency in respect of the tenant they introduced to me who has turned out to have multiple outstanding CCJs, a prior eviction and is now 7 months in rent arrears. The lettings agency have been disappointing with the service they provided from the...
    09-12-2018, 22:35 PM
  • Reply to Letting Agents - Duty of Care
    kennyj52
    Thanks all for the advice and here is an update on my case against the agents. By the way, the tenant moved out voluntarily back in April, 2 days before the bailiffs arrived to enforce the eviction, so technically, I guess, she was "evicted"?

Following the agents offer in June...
    17-10-2019, 21:15 PM
  • Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
    DP10
    The estate agent lost all my keys to the back garden. I've since taken two quotes and paid a reputable locksmith to replace entirely new lock system (e.g high security grill locks on ground floor garden flat).

I never signed a contract with the estate agent but owe them 840 pounds for...
    15-10-2019, 10:35 AM
  • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
    jpkeates
    I think there was definitely a contract, signing it isn't essential (unless there is a written contract with terms that say that it isn't valid until signed).

You obviously have some kind of agreement, because the agent did things that show that they believed that you had retained their...
    17-10-2019, 08:57 AM
  • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
    DP10
    JP Keates: Thank you! If they can technically sue in light of UK Law and the incident is in tort, then perhaps I should rethink. I did request a call but I've not heard back from them. Perhaps I should initiate a call and come to an agreement where it's split 50:50? Perhaps I should wait a little...
    17-10-2019, 08:51 AM
    MdeB
    Why did agent have all the keys?
    Why did you not retain copies?

It seems to me that you were negligent and this contributed to the cost of rectifying the situation.

If it was the garden keys that were lost, why did you replace all locks?

Were the replacements...
    15-10-2019, 18:54 PM
  • Agent fee increase
    armour
    Hi All,
    I have been letting 2 properties with the same agency for 10 years and have always paid 9% on one and 10% on the other (plus VAT) for its services.
    Around 3 months ago, without warning, the agency began to charge 12.5% on the one which I had been paying 10% on. This happened at around...
    15-10-2019, 14:29 PM
Working...
X